Aquaman... Did it save DCEU?

For me… I loved the movie. It wasn’t perfect, but the storyline was good. The characters are what really sold it. Jason Mamoa’s commitment to the role, as a role model, is great. Mera was so kickass. What are your thoughts?

6 Likes

Good movie! I think it’s fair to say that this movie has reshaped people’s perception of Aquaman

1 Like

Really good film. It is also on track for a BILLION DOLLARS. Did it save the dceu? Yeah I think WB want to move on with more projects that they might have with the future. But I think Shazam will decide the fate of the DCEU

I think so, it was 90% well done (way to much pointless slow mo started actually bothering me) glad it’s doing very well in the box office. I very much like the director who in interviews mentions comic issues that inspired him for events X and Y. Great film.

I don’t think it was a matter of “saving” the DCEU. I think Aquaman was a test case to see if DC movies that don’t have “Superman” or “Batman” in the title can be lucrative. Right now Aquaman is on track to earning a billion dollars. I honestly think it will reach that mark. If it does, it will give WB/DC reasonto further pursue DC films with more enthusiasm.

4 Likes

Well, considering the DCEU didn’t need to be saved in the first place (it just needed a wee bit of TLC in some ways), I’d say no.

The movie is magnificent though and will hopefully put to rest all of the stupid jokes people who clearly knew nothing of the character would tell. Aquaman has always been a great character and always will be. The movie’s cool too =)

4 Likes

Great movie I think it brought it back in a new light the same way Wonder Woman did.

1 Like

I just saw it last night and can’t wait to see it again! I love Zack Snyder, but maybe the lighter approach is for the best.

2 Likes

DC live actions get unfairly judged by critics who don’t know DC. How can u judge a movie if u don’t know what to look for. I’m speaking of critics not u. The easter eggs, content, storylines, origins, characters etc. are all over their heads. Minus a small few, they’ve all been great & accurate. It’s a shame what the critics do to them. I go opening day, never watch a trailer, don’t look at ratings so everything’s fresh when I see it. All the ones I’ve seen get a standing ovation. Then 2 days later I hear it got 1 1/2 or 2 stars. Must’ve seen a different version then me? On the Aquaman subject, it was a perfect stunning piece of art.

1 Like

Jason Momoa was presented a question asking did Aquaman save/fix DC and he clearly didn’t think so. That’s understandable, because it’s a pretty insulting thing to imply that all the other movies in this franchise, which he stars in, has failed until now.

2 Likes

Agreed. BvS could have been edited better and JL had faults, but I enjoyed the movies.

2 Likes

@djd187.81432, that’s true.

2 Likes

Good point @Xnam360. I loved BvS & JL. That is like saying, so do u think all your work in this genre was a failure up til this one? Sometimes reporters don’t think. Lois would know better, even tho she asks the tough questions.

2 Likes

Wonder Woman did it already :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I believe that Aquaman may have a chance for everyone else to make more DCEU with its storyline, critical reaction of 64% by rotten tomatoes, and box office success during the holiday weekend.

2 Likes

I’m happy as can be that an Aquaman movie will likely make at least a billion dollars. That fills me with enormous pride.

6 Likes

I believe that Wonder Woman took the DCEU off of life support, and Aquaman got it out of ICU. I don’t think the DCEU is out of the woods yet. I am a huge DC fan and would love to see DCEU stand on its own merit but it is going to take a few more Wonder Woman, Aquaman level movies to do it.

@MettalicaFan Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 64%??? That’s absolutely absurd. I don’t look at ratings. That’s an example of a bunch of suits who know nothing about comics trying to watch a movie they know nothing about. “Despicable” in Daffy Duck voice. Also, to begin whipping dance of the dead blackened is the end :metal:Metallica forever.

3 Likes

I think the somewhat lighter tone is what DCEU needed. With Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and the upcoming Shazam movie, I think DC with dial back the “dark and gritty”going forward. “Dark and Gritty” has its place in the DCEU, and I think they are beginning to realize it’s not everywhere. Now they need to do a Superman film in this same style, I believe it’ll do a lot better with the audience.

3 Likes

The DC Studios people have finally found the right balance for tone. Batman should be dark and gritty. Other heroes should not follow the same path if it does not fit the character. Aquaman the movie should be a little silly because the character and embodiment of Atlantis are silly. I loved it. It’s the best Aquaman movie we can ever hope to have. That said, three Marvel movies get nods for VFX and Aquaman doesn’t? I’m with James Wan on this one. Shenanigans are afoot. I’m sensing a distinct Academy bias.

2 Likes