Aquaman (2018)

Wow - that was really good and there seemed to be a strong storyline brewing in the background. Too bad this was ahead of its time and the pilot wasn’t picked up!

3 Likes

As a tv series pilot, I thought this episode was decent and it somewhat fit into the Smallville timeline. I noticed they used two actors that were used on Smallville. This pilot was decent and had potential as a summer series. I do feel Smallville’s pilot was better though because of how they set-up Clark and Lex, and it was bit tighter on the story structure.

I liked the Bermuda Triangle mystery storyline, and how A.C. is barely understanding the struggle he will face being in both worlds. I thought they did Queen Atlanna quite well. I wish they didn’t go with the Post-Crisis origin of Arthur’s origin story though. I was always more partial to Arthur’s Pre-Crisis and New 52 origin stories, however; New 52 didn’t happen until 2011 so that one couldn’t be a possibility. Justin was decent as Arthur, but I feel he was better suited as Oliver Queen/Green Arrow.

1 Like

Hmm my expectations were quite low for this, but I dug it. It had some potential.

3 Likes

This was my first time ever watching this. For 2005 this would have had potential. Although I’m annoyed that they always have to kill Adrianne Palicki’s character (Smallville and now Aquaman) or write her off(Agents Of Shield). But I think I would have enjoyed this back then if they had went ahead with a full seasons worth of episodes. But today? Not so much.

1 Like

This was my first time watching this. It was interesting and entertaining, but I didn’t connect emotionally to the story. If there were more episodes, I would’ve watched it. Perhaps it was ahead of its time.

5 Likes

Really shot themselves in the foot by casting the (then) green arrow to be aquaman.

If I’m not mistaken this takes place before Hartley appeared on Smallville as this pilot is what led to him getting cast as Green Arrow and there is no connection between this and Smallville with the actor that plays Thad Castle having already been on Smallville as Aquaman.

The tone of this I think is why it wasn’t picked up as it was a darker tone than Smallville. I remember seeing this on AOL video and watched a few times over the course of a few years. Obviously with the movie out now I doubt that we get an Aquaman TV series and if they did decide to bring Aquaman to the CW Verse I’d imagine we’d get a completely new actor cast in the lead although there could be an opportunity at some point to get the other 3 Aquamen to play guest spots or cameos… but I’d imagine that would be down the line seeing as all 3 are quite busy these days.

4 Likes

I really think this was a hoped-for follow up to Smallville. It was planned, at least, after the other Aquaman showed up on Smallville. Jason Hartley would have left Smallville it this had been picked up.
“The Aquaman pilot was expected to debut in the fall schedule of 2006, but following the merger of the WB and UPN, the resulting CW Network opted not to buy the series. After they passed on the pilot, it was made available online through iTunes in the United States and became the number-one most downloaded television show on iTunes. It received generally favorable reviews, was later released on other online markets, and aired on Canadian television network YTV.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaman_(TV_pilot)

2 Likes

Solid pilot that is forever immortalized as an intriguing glimpse of a world that could have been. Thanks for making this available.

9 Likes

I really enjoyed this. I had low expectations but was blown away from the very beginning.

3 Likes

I’m glad Justin Hartley eventually found “This Is Us” but I would’ve really enjoyed this if it became a series.

8 Likes

I haven’t seen this since I got the Smallville complete series boxset which had this as a special feature. Rewatching this reminded me of the potentially awesome show we could of had if this pilot got picked up. Oh well at least Justin Hartley got to be Green Arrow on Smallville after this. And with any luck with the success of the new Aquaman movie maybe he can finally get his own animated series or something.

7 Likes

I had low expectations but it’s actually pretty interesting. A new Aquaman story

4 Likes

Wish there was more episodes I like it

6 Likes

I didnt know there was a aquaman tv show

3 Likes

Good start need more episodes a lot more

4 Likes

Is from 2006? Why is there not more?

6 Likes

Best Live Action Green Arrow was also Aquaman before Hawk lol

3 Likes

Am I mistaken or is the person who is supposed to be Arthur reffered to as Orin, is evil brother. The complete opposite of who Aquaman is…?

1 Like

Nevermind, I mixed up the names in my head