Anyone else find Jane unlikable?

Now before all you start to get pissy I dont mind if the show focuses on her but in sick and tired of the double standards with her character like it’s ok for her to be rude towards others but when the script is flipped they’re wrong I hate the hypocrisy its soooooo annoying. Like how can you justify her killing vs cliff when you know she got way more bodies under her belt. Sick and tired of how the world sees people with mental health issues as if they are just free to dump their problem on everyone then get mad when they lash right back out.

3 Likes

Because of her issues, I’m willing to cut Jane some slack, but my primary problem is it seems every other episode is focused on her. It would be nice if the show were more about the team as opposed to one specific member. I also want to see them fight. Yes, the show’s been great overall, but let’s see them get into battle.

1 Like

Seriously, we’re nine episodes in and I find it incredibly hard to empathize with this character. Not to take anything away from the actress, she’s probably doing the best job out of the entire cast, but the character…ugh! She’s just so bitchy! She pushes everyone away and when they try to help her(or rather when Cliff tries) she mocks them or brings them down. I can’t bring myself to like a character that has a personality akin to sandpaper or broken glass.

Granted, everyone in the Doom Patrol has a flaw that would turn them off to someone. Cliff’s kinda dim, Larry’s a straight up defeatist, Rita’s stuck up and elitist, and Vic’s brash and arrogant. But they all have something redeeming about them that makes them likable. Jane? Jane’s about as pleasant as a root canal.

9 Likes

I didn’t like Karen, but I like the rest of them so far. In general, I love flawed characters. They aren’t perfect, they make their mistakes, that’s life. It makes them more real. Cliff irks me at times because he isn’t understanding what Jane’s various personalities have been telling him right along. Even in the latest episode, it seemed like he (with good intentions) intruded into her privacy. It doesn’t have to be good or bad, it can just be. I’m content to see how it plays out. She has boundaries that she’s keeping up, and hiding behind. She hasn’t worked everything out yet.

1 Like

I actually like a lot of her personalities, it’s just Jane, the main one, that I can’t stand. Karen’s crazy too, but at least she’s got some positivity (however ill)

3 Likes

Ohhh gods no I don’t want any of Karen’s positivity!! :nauseated_face: I know she was a rom-com type character by design, and it’s very effective. It’s also horrific. Stepford Wives, anyone? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stepford_Wives_(1975_film)

2 Likes

I really don’t like the character…even the rom com version, while a good idea, didn’t really do anything that played into that after the first scene. And all her personalities just focus and orbit around the one where she’s a bitch…so … it’s hard to get on board with her, she just comes off as bratty, whiny and in need of a slap to the face. Now that being said, the actress who’s playing her is REALLY good! She brings out the hate I have for the character lol , if that makes any sense.

2 Likes

Jane is the best character

2 Likes

Oh, my favorite characters are usually dumpster fires shaped like people, so Jane is definitely a favorite of mine.

I think a big thing with Jane is that while her problems are exaggerated via comic book magiscience, it’s base, the core of her problems, is rooted in reality. The pushing people away, the wild mood swings and erratic behavior, are all common signs for people who have gone through trauma and abuse like Jane has.

3 Likes

Agreed, @Jay_Kay. Her personality rings really true to me.

It took me a while to get used to TV Jane, but I think they explained why she is how she is in Jane Patrol. If nothing else, she hates having to be the one that interfaces with the world. And I love Cliff with all my heart, but he has a lot of her meanness coming to him. Dude needs to learn to respect boundaries, even when his intentions are so good.

2 Likes

JayKay said it exactly. If any person had gone through the abuse that Kay has suffered, they also would push away everyone. That’s where Jane comes in.

3 Likes

“JANE PATROL”…I mean, come onnnnnnnn…!! It’s like a Bergmannesque psychic teardown, baby… this episode really goes down to the well of being like nobody’s business …about sacrifice and interdependence …brilliant stuff… I have never seen a more poignant examination of the after-effects of childhood trauma…of incestual child abuse …one of those things that are really at the bottom of the bottomless pit that is hell and as a man watching , a 65 year old man with no children but a couple (unbelievably) of relationships with women who had been molested. As children, by their fathers…!!! ( what I mean is, the “no man must pass” scene and the lines of cliffie, “ I was a man. I was a different person then. A lesser person.” Just made me think of how different the impulses are and how much self-control is required when you are being driven by Normal testosteronian BS (which I’m assuming [perhaps incorrectly] mine was) and how it was at various times and places very difficult not to be run by one’s dick…how questions of personal ethics and morality came into play with disturbing regularity… now, add to that , a mind deeply disturbed by some childhood trauma of its own and have that creature grow up in a culture driven by commercial images of youth, sex and violence (the stuff that sells ) and bingo…!!! Recipe for a nightmare so devastatingly common, that I, a regular Joe Blow…have known (intimately) TWO victims of this bullshit (that one would hope only happens in the vivid imagination of a grant morrison, et.al…and that MUST BE incredibly rare in reality, right…?) Wrong…!! Holy Shit…!! as Robotman would say …remembering a time when he was a man with functioning genitalia…, with such conviction, “I was a lesser person” One hopes it doesn’t take complete castration to arrive at the enlightened state of our dear Cliffie (and thank you, Mr. Fraser, for making the peregrinations of this monolithic, expressionless bot so riveting and deeply human, amazing work… !). And Jane is such an extraordinarily interesting character, so masterfully portrayed by Ms. Guerrero (a favorite character from Human Target, by the way) who has made this eminently unlikeable schizophrenic, absolutely lovable…! fabulous stuff…! And Lastly (But always Firstly[sic]) to The Writer Patrol…another brilliant episode, you bastids [sick] Bravíssima…!! bravíssimo…!!! Thank You, ALL…!

I actually like her character (s). She has quite a bit of depth. Flawed characters speak to the masses better than perfect characters.

2 Likes

While I like Jane but sometimes it just feels like she is Hammerhead without the violence

3 Likes

I stopped liking her the last couple of episodes. Especially disliked her this episode

I’m not a fan of her lately. She was pretty great until Karen, then the Jane Patrol episode was cool, but this last episode lost all my goodwill for her. Especially when she snapped that nobody helped her when she was in the Underground. Yeah, Larry didn’t help by sending support in with her. Cliff didn’t help when he basically tore through the place to find her, or when her helped her stand up for herself at the end, right as she was literally about to throw herself into the well. She did all of that alone.

Rita’s my favorite character now. She’s had the most growth, plus she’s been incredibly supportive of everyone since the Decreator. She might not want to be a hero, but she’s not going to let her family do it alone. She’s going to be the mother lion of the group, and probably one of the strongest in the end.

3 Likes

I’ve cared about her more in these last few episodes than ever before.

I personally find the whole show a bit distasteful BECAUSE of Crazy Jane. And I’m not trying to around like a whiner… But the cursing is just too over the top for my taste. It’s just really unnerving to hear it every 5 minutes. And I have 10 year old (not mine) that is always in ear shot of everything I do. I mean, it’s not that I cant handle it… It’s just something I’d rather not hear ALL THE TIME, ya know?

And I also don’t proactively talk that anyways.

I know this isn’t the most traditional statement or the most popular… But, it’s just my two cents

I’ve seen some really great shows with really great writing and never dropped an F bomb . It’s like… OK, we get it… It’s an ADULT show. U don’t have to keep reminding us every few minutes lol.

For some ppl I can understand why it doesn’t bother them. As you could have guessed, I didnt grow up with a family who spoke flippidly like that. So I guess that’s why I am the way I am.

I think you are missing the point of Jane. She is suppose to be sometimes unlikable. If you made an attempt to empathize with her point of view, then you couldn’t help but feel sympathetic for her. Take your point about how she feels no one helped her. She was sexually abused by the one person that she should have been able to trust most in this world; followed by the very people who’s job it is to help her…the people in the physic ward. Then her friends invade the the world her brain created to deal with all of her trauma and forced her to face the very thing that it was created to control. Sure, it is easy for us to look at that and see it as therapeutic, but from her point of view, her character is not ready to accept that help. Wouldn’t be any different than if you took a alcoholic, took away all of their liquor and locked them in a room for 30 days before they were ready to quit. They would see that as an attack, not as you trying to help. Maybe over time, if it worked, they would grow to appreciate what you did, but not by the next day. Jane’s mind is broken, she knows this, but it is still broken and she…and only she…is doing what is needed to deal with the world as she sees it.
From my view point, she is in truth the most human of the group. She’s not an ex-race car superstar, a test pilot, a movie star, or even a kid from a couple of rich scientific geniuses. She didn’t know happiness before what happen to her happened, she didn’t know normal or what she lost. All of the rest of the characters are dealing with what they did in the past that they regret of had to leave behind, but not Jane. Jane is who she is because of what she never had, not what she is trying to get back. She has no road map to follow on how she should be thankful, or compassionate, or PC…all she has is pain. I think that might make you a little edgy if someone told you that you should be thankful for all the wonderful things someone did for you. I believe that you might have a hard time exception anyone’s goodwill or best intentions.
To me, Jane is the best character because it forces us to relate to someone that it makes us unconformable to admit exists in the real world. The mentally unstable, the lost and abused, the ones that cry for help from the inside, with no way of knowing how to even ask for help or accept it from the outside. Fact is, for all her power, it is not the Chief that needs to be saved, it is her. And that is why she fights the hardest to find him; because in saving the Chief she hopes to save some of herself. She is fractured…like a puzzle. She will most likely never be whole, but the more piece that the rest of the group help her to replace, the more complete she will be.

5 Likes