Anyone Else Been Reading Classic 80s Batman?

To help keep the streets of DC Universe clean, please follow the Topic Posting Guidelines when creating a new topic:

1. Please ensure you are posting to the correct category.
  2. Please use concise, descriptive titles in your posts. Avoid ALL CAPS and spoilers.
  3. Search the other posts to see if your topic is already covered.
  4. Please stay on topic.
  5. Be generous and thoughtful when responding to others.

You can read our full Topic Posting Guidelines at yourdcu.com/cmg. Thank you!

4 Likes

My first time reading batman was after i saw 1989 Batman. I got in about 40-50 issues before Knightfall. Been really cool backtracking . Im in the Jason /Robin era before A Death in the Family.

4 Likes

I like reading the ones with Jason.

3 Likes

I have read some few issues. My favorite is when Batman first meet Jason Todd when he was trying to steel the Batmobile’s Wheel! :slightly_smiling_face:

Also Death In A Family was such a sad story as well.

4 Likes

You mean the bat buggy. It has prettier tires.

3 Likes

The 1980s Batman comics are my personal favorites. I especially love the Gerry Conway, Doug Moench, and Mike Barr runs.

2 Likes

Hey @travis.79854, welcome back to the community! :wave: I’m going to have to concur with others in this thread about enjoying the Jason Todd comics though I haven’t read too much of the 1980s Batman comics. I’ll have to add that to my reading list (that is becoming longer every day now…). :writing_hand:

Please let the moderator team know if you need anything! :batparrot:

2 Likes

Thanks! I never left lol just havent posted in a bit but i do really love the community here. Im reading lot of modern series but nothing like reading comfort food childhood era comics. The todd era is a really cool chapter in the comic timeline. Really interesting to read and see things that are now 80s pop culture, like atari games being played or mall arcades for example

5 Likes

If you start from the beginning with the “Jason Todd Club” sessions of the Renegade Robins Club, you will find that we covered a huge chunk of 1980s Batman stories in order. It all begins with the debut of both Jason Todd and a certain scaly scoundrel named Killer Croc…

5 Likes

Thanks @AlexanderKnox, I’ll have to take a look at those past session threads when I manage to find a time to start seriously reading! The Book Clubs are one of my favorite things about this community and I’m super excited for what next month will bring with DC Pride. :batparrot:

2 Likes

I’ve been slowly making my way back through the Moench run; I’m up to the Nocturna/ Night-Slayer stuff. It’s heavy on soap opera, and geez Nocturna’s dialogue is awful. These stories were a lot of fun for me as a kid though. It’s a cool nostalgia buzz to revisit them now.

1 Like

The 300s from Pre-Crisis and the 400s Post-Crisis are really good reads!

2 Likes

I’ve collected Batman since issue 400 (it came out in 1986) but I didn’t have too many issues before that so, over the past year, I read all the issues of Batman and Detective from roughly 1976 up until that point. I especially enjoyed the issues introducing villains such as Killer Croc, Black Mask, the Ventriloquist, the Reaper, and the KGBeast. I was surprised how many issues the Nocturna/Nightslayer saga lasted.

2 Likes