Any Tips on Starting Sandman?

I am looking to start reading Neil Gaimans “Sandman” before the Netflix series comes out! Does anyone have any tips as to where to start/what to buy? Upon doing some Google searching, many say to start with “Preludes and Nocturnes” but searching that in Amazon gives me a lot of different things! So basically I am asking if I am diving into “Sandman” what should I buy?! Any help is appreciated!

1 Like

I might be easiest to buy the Sandman Omnibuses. Sandman Omnibus Vol. 1 contains Preludes and Nocturnes, The Doll’s House, Dream Country, and and A Game of You. Vol. 2 contains Fables and Recollections, Brief Lives, The Kindly Ones, and The Wake. The third volume contains some of the Sandman spin-offs, such as Death: The High Cost of Living. The Omnibuses are kind of pricey, but I think buying them that way might be cheaper (not to mention less confusing) than buying the individual graphic novels.

1 Like

Comixology has the first 3 volumes for free if you’re a subscriber.

All of the volumes are on sale too in Comixology.

1 Like

I recently decided to do the same thing. I decided to go and just read the TPBs. It’s been pretty good overall. The first volume is called: Preludes & Nocturnes. I got my copy from Barnes and Nobles but it’s pretty widely available. I’ll go ahead and link to the Amazon listing for you. As for tips to start, really all you need to do is… start. Lol. I know that’s not very helpful, but there’s not much you need to know when going it. It’s just a really great narrative with interesting characters and Neil Gaiman’s impecable writing. If you find you may not have the time to sit down and read the series yourself, Audible did a PHENOMENAL audiobook adaptation that I highly recommend. It covers the first three volumes and is such a great experience. Obviously you miss out on some great artwork, but you gain a great cast of voice actors. I wouldn’t recommend reading along with it since the audio book uses a lot of descriptions to help paint the image for the viewer and fill the gaps for the missing artwork. Hope this was at all helpful and I hope you enjoy the series! Make sure to give us your thoughts on the forums after you’re done!

1 Like