Any DC Fans doing NaNoWriMo?

It’s almost November again, and November means NaNoWriMo! (a.k.a. National Novel Writing Month) Contrary to the name, writers from all over the world participate, in trying to write a 50,000-word novel in under 30 days. I’ve been a yearly participant for 14 years, and I am curious if any other writers on this forum will be taking part this year. Daunting as the task might seem, winning only takes writing 1,667 words per day for 30 days.

5 Likes

It’s a contest? What do you win?

It’s not a contest. Anyone who passes the 50k goal by midnight on the 30th ‘wins.’ There is usually a ‘goodie basket’ for the winners that in the past has consisted of everything from discounts on software, to a coupon code for a printed copy of their novel. I’ve even won free master classes about writing from famous authors, it’s varied year to year, depending on what the sponsors are willing to donate.

I’ve been considering it. I typically write scripts, but I’d do it the same way. I just need to settle on the idea I’d want to use.

I’m not sure yet. I did it last year and I have plenty of ideas that I would love to do, but at the same time, I’m already plenty busy with school and some other projects. But I had so much fun last year, so the decision is a difficult one.

2 Likes

I’ve signed up for the last two years and never managed to get very far. I’m more of a plotter than a panster, and by the time November hits, I never feel like I’ve prepped enough to really get started. /excuses

I’m hoping to try again this year. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve always wanted to try this, but like @OmniLad I also usually write scripts. The only non-script narrative I’m writing currently is a cross-over Addams Family/Silent Hill fan-fic. I’m going to give this event some consideration. Maybe I can think of something DC for the event. Where do I sign up?

1 Like

I should try this. I’m bad at committing to writing projects I’ve plotted, so I could use the practice. Only issue is that I’m a grad student, and November is right when I need to be focusing on getting ready for finals.

2 Likes

@JQuinzelle You can sign up at http://nanowrimo.org

@JQuinzelle You could also just look at the rules on NaNoWriMo and convert them to be applicable to a script. Essentially, finish a draft or two of your script within a month. That’s what I’m going to do.

@SpookyJamags I’d set a personal word goal if I were you. Something that works better with your intense schedule, even if it’s as small as 200 words per day. That way, you can kick your own butt into some kind of dedicated progress without failing your classes.

Also, reply feature isn’t working for me for some reason. One day in and I’ve already broken something around here.

EDIT: Oop. And now it’s working. At least in this thread, but not another. Spooky.

1 Like

That’s a good idea. Honestly, I just need to do it enough that it’s a routine.

1 Like

That’s the boat I’m in. If I could make it more routine, I think I’d stop waiting for those feel-good writerly moments, which is the worst way to go about writing. Or art’ing.

Doing Inktober on here and Discord has been awesome because it’s the first time I’ve stuck with the challenge. I guess I’m super codependent, but having a team of sorts is motivating.

EDIT: Ah ha! See! That time the little reply bubble didn’t show!

2 Likes

That’s cool this is a thing. Never heard of it until now. Ironically, I just set a goal to work on a chapter a day starting in November. This might be worth trying, but finding the time will be tough.

2 Likes

@cam.Bat Maybe shoot for a chapter, see how hard that is to do, and adjust from there. Like, if you find it way too much of a challenge, aim for a page a day.

2 Likes

What you mention about a team is a good point. I could see setting up a sort of DCU Fan Creations shared universe to get everybody writing. I know @Awesome_Squid was trying to do something like that which ended up falling through, but the basic idea is still sound. There was also @CaptThunder001’s crossover event, but I haven’t heard anything from him about that in a while and I’m thinking stories that are more independent of each other and only cross over occasionally.

3 Likes

A chapter a day is what I usually shoot for myself.

2 Likes

@SpookyJamags I haven’t been involved in the community for too long, so I think I missed those, but they both sound fun. Maybe with this 2.0 renaissance one of them can get it going again.

@Aurora You sound like the resident NaNoWriMo pro. Lead us, Capt’n. :pray:

1 Like

This is my 14th year. Some people have been at it for 20. NaNoWriMo was founded in 1999.

1 Like

@Aurora That’s amazing! That it’s your 14th year, I mean. Though it’s also cool that it’s been around for that long. I only heard about it maybe… hm, 4 years ago?

Did you finish it every time?