Anthologies (Batman: Urban Legends; Truth & Justice; Superman: Red & Blue)

I was curious what the group thought about DC’s recent publishing more anthologies, like Batman: Urban Legends, Superman: Red & Blue, DC Pride, Truth & Justice, etc.? Personally, I am enjoying them, although I have only picked up a single issue of Truth & Justice (mostly because it depends on whom is the lead character in particular issue). I do hope that the stories in these anthologies are referenced in continuity. I hope that in Urban Legends that Tim Drake is given a regular and ongoing role.

Having said my support for these titles, I do wonder about their price point. I am concerned that the price of the books is too high for the titles to be sustainable. Personally, I like long runs where the issue numbers reach into the 100s.

What are your thoughts about these anthologies?

3 Likes

I think Urban Legends is already tied into continuity, especially – the Cole Cash and Harley Quinn stories in the first issue directly tie into events going on in the Batman and Harley Quinn titles. The others are more standalone, but sometimes that’s good. Being able to tell your own story outside of an ongoing continuity grants creative freedom. Comic books aren’t newspapers, you know? There’s more potential there than to show you what’s happening in the DC Universe.

5 Likes

I’m a sucker for anthologies, so I’m always down to give them a try. When it comes to Superman, even better! I’ve heard some good things about Red and Blue.

3 Likes

I think Urban Legends is the way to go. I think disconnected anthologies are just less good from a long term perspective, unless you have a really high ratio of excellent stories to ones that are just a use of space. I like standalone content, especially for characters who are under served, but if they’re not connected to what’s going on in the main titles, they just fade away.

2 Likes

Just finished Superman Red and Blue, and have to say, I think it’s the best Superman Comic, I’ve read in years.

2 Likes

I have enjoyed several of the batman urban legend stories. these are more like how the original batman comics were written as you used to get several stories in each issue.

3 Likes

I must give a year later update: I’m really sick of Urban Legends, and wish it would stop. None of the stories are very well crafted - nothing like Oracle Year One or the Batman Chronicles level of talent is being displayed here - and it’s such a huge price tage for what’s being offered.

4 Likes

I can’t speak for the Superman title because I haven’t read it, but I am loving Urban Legends. It is one of the few that I am buying monthly right now. I really do like the multiple stories that we get and the characters that it introduces me to that I wouldn’t have read otherwise.

It also gives more writers and artists a chance to have a story with DC and show their talent. I actually didn’t realize Superman: Red and Blue was an anthology book, I might have to check it out.

4 Likes

I am in favor of the concept, but the way they’re doing it clearly, to me, indicates a lack of editorial and authorial vision and intensity. I’d much rather they push more backups in more titles if they want this kind of shorter, more unknown/discovery content.

3 Likes

I’m a fan of the concept because it’s a reminder of the 100 page giants from the 70s or the backups from Detective Comics. It’s a good way for lesser known characters to get a time to shine and/or see if they take off with fans. Saying that, however I’m not a fan of the cost involved for a single issue of Urban Legends. I actually ended up dropping it because of that. It will be great to read on DCU though.

3 Likes

I still think the Walmart reprints, with three big reprints and an original 12 pager - was a really good idea. 5 dollars is a great price point. I think the serialization was also a good idea. But it has to be higher quality stuff.

2 Likes