The DC BOOK CLUB! How To Join

Welcome, Citizens of the DC Universe, to the DC Book Club, and a hearty “hello” to the #dcubc members who started it all! :wave:

If you’re reading this, then you have discovered one of the very best pockets the internet has to offer. It is also safe to assume you have impeccable taste and style.

You have taken the first step into joining a book club dedicated to celebrating highlighted titles from DC’s vast library, which includes many perks like:

• All DC Book Club selections are free on DC UNIVERSE INFINITE during that month’s reading
  • Access to digital perks like backgrounds, wallpapers, and printable bookmarks
  • Updated information on special guest appearances & events
  • Discussion with the community all month long

To join the DC Book Club, please follow these steps:

Click here for the join CLUB PAGE! :point_left:

READY TO BEGIN?

Join the discussion for June’s selection, DC PRIDE, right over here! :point_left:t3: :00_dc_pride:

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

:thinking: What is the DC Book Club?

Each month, DC will post a poll with a selection of flagship titles for fans to vote on reading for the following installment of DC Book Club. Members will have one month to read the title, and return here to discuss with fans. As a bonus, the title that fans vote on will be available on DC Universe Infinite for FREE the whole month of book club!

Additional benefits include:

• Downloadable digital perks
  • Access to discussion events w/ special guest talent

:thinking: How Does It Work?

Once you join, you will be provided notifications for all future events, so be sure to hit that “Join” button! (More details on that below). Each month Book Club is live, we will host a moderated discussion, led with guided questions.

During the last week of the month, we will be joined by special guest talent to discuss their thoughts on the book, and answer your questions live, right in the comments!

:thinking: How Do I Join?

By completing a few simple steps, you will gain the ability to read the free titles, participate in discussions, and receive live notifications as this post is updated, or members reply to your comments.

• Step 1: Register an account (No payment required!)

• Step 2: Visit our DC Book Club group page and click the “JOIN” button :arrow_right: Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 5.13.45 PM This will ensure you are receiving all our digital perks, and first access questions for talent, as well as provide you notifications for all Club happenings.

• Step 3: Read & discuss!

:thinking: I’m not hip to this message board jive, dig?

We have a bot for that! Just say @Kelex in the comments below, and our friendly Kryptonian bot will DM you to walk you through how the DC Community works.
We think you’ll like it very much once you settle in, but there’s no need to be restricted to just one discussion platform- You can also share your thoughts on our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

APPENDIX

• Links to past discussions
  • Dropdowns of past guided book questions (Use to run your own book club!)
  • Past digital downloads
  • Past Q&As with creators

MARCH, 2021: JUSTICE LEAGUE: TOTALITY

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

Issues #1-3

• Did reading this story make you want to learn more about a certain member of the Justice League?
  • When did Batman plant bombs inside the moon?
  • Did you find any moments particularly funny?
  • Do you think the comedy takes away or adds to the series?
  • Do you hear any celebrity voices when you read the characters?
  • How would you describe Jorge Jimenez’s art style?
  • Did you have a favorite moment or panel of artwork? Why did that stand out to you?

Issue #4-5

• The Source Wall, The Totality, Umbrax, The Keep of Mars, the Still Force, the First Force, Turtle, the Ultraviolet/Invisible Spectrum- how do you keep them straight? What is your understanding of their interplay?
  • Can you name all the Green Lanterns in this beautiful shot?
  • How did having a different writer (James Tynion IV) and artist (Doug Mahnke) on the Legion of Doom issue impact the overall reading of the story so far? Did the change in tone complement the experience?

• As noted in issue #5: "If he could, [Lex Luthor] would ask you the question he asked the rest. ‘A legion that did not stand for people as they should be, but as they were, and would always be.’." Do you agree that people’s nature is fundamentally chaotic and doom-driven, as Luthor suggests?

• In the back pages of issue #5, we see Scott Snyder outline each villain’s core beliefs. A throughline of these beliefs is that everyone should be “true” to themselves. Do you agree with any of these villains’ philosophies? Why or why not?

Issues #6-7

fwash

• On page 17 of issue #6, we see a culmination of our heroes grappling with their sense of blame and guilt for not being more forthcoming about their struggles.

How do you think the outcome of events might have been different if they had risked being vulnerable? Even if it didn’t make a difference in the events of THE TOTALITY, might this vulnerability have made a stronger team?

Thoom

• Do you have a favorite pairing of heroes, villains, or hero + villain in this series? What did you like about that chemistry?

Foom

• What do you think the final message of JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE TOTALITY was?

• What will you be reading next?

51wVX0+rJTL MAY, 2021: SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

Periodical #1

• As always, we want to see your favorite art and moments! There were plenty of times our eyes welled up…We would love to see your screenshots, or even just a description, of your “Best Of” panels in the comments below!
  • There are many references to characters’ jackets, coats, and capes. What ties the symbolism of all their clothes together? How do characters use their clothing to convey their personal story?
  • Do you think this story would be received differently if it was set in modern times, rather than in the 1940s?

Periodical #2

• In what ways does Clark Kent’s exploration of his origin reflect each member of the Lee family’s experiences?

• “Uncover enough secrets, and you make a home”, is repeated throughout this periodical. Aren’t secrets normally supposed to be kept? How does this message change our understanding of secrets, and the way we understand other cultures?

• “Why only be half of what you are?” How have you related to this question in your own life?

Periodical #3

• What are some other comics that have depicted the origin story of Superman’s costume? How are they different, and how are they the same?
  • Within the world of SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN, what does it mean to be a hero?
  • The Klan believes that “you cannot unite a nation that shares neither blood nor history.” What do you think bonds/unites people other than history?
  • Do you think the lion’s okay?

Bonus Discussion! “ Superman & Me ” Back Pages by Gene Luen Yang

• In both the comic and in these back pages, there are themes that the beliefs the Klan hold are not based on hate. Even Denny, the fellow student who liked Gene’s G.I. Joe story, was kind to him until certain circumstances occurred. How do we reconcile opposing beliefs within ourselves or in others when confronted with them?
  • Like " Clan of the Fiery Cross" , the 1940’s radio show SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN was based on, the writing aimed to avoid being too preachy for adults, but also not too scary for kids. Do you think the story succeeded in this goal?
  • What are some specific actions we everyday citizens can take to unite for a better tomorrow?

*You can also explore the early origins of the DC Book Club. by visiting all the #dcubc, #dcubc-girl-power, and #dcubc-epics discussions run by @MattMcDonald and @JLWWSM!

23 Likes

So, just so I understand, already being a DC Universe Infinite Subscriber, I joined the DC Book Club, I’m good to go?

8 Likes

That’s right, you’re all set! Looking forward to digging into Justice League: The Totality with you :partying_face:

8 Likes

Thanks, @Applejack

5 Likes
  1. Very excited to have Book Club back - I’ve missed it
  2. Over the moon to see that already over 80 people have signed up for Book Club since this got posted! Great to have so many new members and this will only make the discussions livelier and bring more perspectives to the table. Awesome!
  3. Fancy new profile pic, @Applejack! Almost didn’t recognize you there! No more Batgirl? And who is that, exactly? Glad to have you on here as an admin as well.
  4. I hope @MattMcDonald and @JLWWSM are proud of what they started and what it has become. I wear my Book Club badge with pride and am looking forward to the new perks and special guests!

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to dive in to the (Scott) Snyder Cut of ‘Justice League: Totality’ to see what my favorite group of heroes are up to this time. I hope Hawkgirl ends up saving the day!

11 Likes

I know what you mean but there’s something about this comment that’s adorable to me. That’s the Oracle symbol! Still Barbara Gordon, but in her green form for St. Paddy’s Day :slight_smile:

I do too- they’re the platinum standard in generally being human!

10 Likes

Welcome to all the new members of the @DCBookClub!

It’s incredible seeing all the new members roll in, and we can’t wait to get started discussing Justice League: The Totality with you.

New to the DC Community? We’d love to hear a little more about you, and what you’d like to see from your FLCBC (Friendly Local Comic Book Club) in the future!

I can start things off- hi! :wave: I go by Applejack, and I help to make sure the DC Community keeps chugging along with new programs, exciting perks, and interesting ways to connect directly with the DC brand. Nice to meet you!

I’m looking forward to having really in-depth conversations around the stories, and discussing our favorite artwork. In the future, I’m hoping that we can also include sweepstakes and even more perks all month long :slight_smile:

Feel free to tell us a little bit about yourself, I’ll be keeping an eye on our Club Room all day to make sure your questions are answered. :heart:

13 Likes

Call me Turok Son of Stone

Turok was an
Native American Indian
Lost in a hidden valley
In the 19th Century
Where dinosaurs still existed
Published by Dell Comics in the 1950s and 60s

The character has been published by many companies since then
But not DC

I was born in 1950
So that is why my name here is what it is

I was around in the Silver Age of Comics

The first comic I bought was the last tryout of the Justice League of America in Brave and the Bold. I bought and still have the original issues of JLA and Lee Kirby Ditko Marvel Comics. They are in poor condition because I read them so much. I loved them so much

Hawkman in Brave and Bold is my favorite comic by Julie Schwartz editor, Gardner Fox writer and Joe Kubert artist.

My favorite era of comic books are

The Bronze Age and
Early Rebirth (2016)

In Our Comic Book Library,
You can Filter by Era

For new DC Book Club members

My Suggestions

First
Watch
Secret Origins the Story of DC Comics

In that hour and a half you will get a good overview of most of our comic book library. It was filmed in.2009 so of course can’t talk about newer than that

I am co leader of the DC History Club with @msgtv. Please consider joining our club. All topics remain open so participate in our polls and quizzes.

The DC History Club
has this video as the topic for the month of September 2020

This is my complete list for New DC Readers. It is intended to introduce most of the major characters of the universe at a basic level. It is by year.

This is my
Batman for new readers

if you want to learn significant events in super hero genre history. Most significant issues are mentioned here. It is by year

https://community.dcuniverse.com/t/super-hero-genre-history/204746

if you want to learn how Superman Batman.and Wonder Woman were created

https://community.dcuniverse.com/t/the-road-to-the-trinity-superman-barman-an-wonder-woman/225750

16 Likes

Aww shucks :heart: Thank you! We are very humbled and grateful. It’s beautiful to see how far the book club has come and transformed over the years. Super excited to see this new chapter! :0_book_club:

9 Likes

Awww thank you :heavy_heart_exclamation: I’m so excited for book club!

7 Likes

I rejoin! Sorry @JLWWSM and @MattMcDonald for leaving your great book club!:slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Hi @Lincolnfan78 - no need for apologies! Glad you’re back! :smiley:

6 Likes

We’d love to hear a little more about you, and what you’d like to see from your FLCBC (Friendly Local Comic Book Club) in the future!

While I love the dives back into the archives I’d like two things:

1. Spoiler warnings for the discussion topics/questions. The second discussion question for issues #1-3 is an example of one I’d like to have hidden behind the spoiler shield until after I’ve read it.
  2. The new books that arrive on DCUI. It would be fun to have Book Club be a part of the arrival of Future State and Infinite Frontier when they get here for us to read. I’m sure I’m not alone in waiting for them to become available here rather than buying them all at my Local Comic Shop and discussing them with fellow DC fanatics as they come out would be a blast.

There’s always so much I want to read that it’s tough to pick what I’ll read next and I love Book Club for making that choice for me and taking me to unexpected places in the DC Universe.

7 Likes

Hey! I’m Quadpen but people usually end up calling me Quad, I’m relatively new to comic books, I only got into them around 2016 or so but they’ve become an important part of my life (I’m an aspiring illustrator lol) I’m looking forward to talking about comics with y’all!

Since i have no idea how to end the post I’ll just say to stan impulse and jason for clear skin

12 Likes

:rofl: Well done!

6 Likes

This is great feedback, thank you so much! I agree that it would be a blast to jump into Future State and Infinite Frontier when we have the full series available on DCUI. In the meantime, imma go get those spoilers up :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Since the DC Universe is so huge and has stool the test of time, I think that adding a little direction to learn more would be great. I mean, choose some titles or series that will allow us to learn more about the DC Universe. Thank you. The book club is a good idea.

11 Likes

This sounds awesome™:+1:. I’m in.

6 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, and wonderful to see your thoughts in the book club! To help people learn more in addition to reading new issue, maybe in the future we could include things like timelines, visual maps, and other elements paired with what we’re reading that month?

14 Likes

I’m in! (And btw @Applejack, I love the new avatar.)

10 Likes