Animated Films in theaters

I just saw the “into the spider verse” trailer and I was thinking “why doesn’t DC put their animated films in theaters. TDKR, Flashpoint, and the Red Hood animated movies were some of the best movies ever created, so if DC wants to make some cash (and hopefully get more people to be DC fans) wouldn’t it make sense to put them in theaters? Also I hate when ppl say marvel is way better in movies like lol have you SEEN the animated movies?

1 Like

DC is better with animated movies then Marvel no question. As for putting them in theaters, from a business standpoint I don’t know, but it looks like most of the upcoming movies will make their streaming debut on DCU based on what we have seen so far. Given how many subs were disappointed that wouldn’t be true of the TV series currently airing and likely the movies, probably not best as far as this service goes to further hinder their selection.

1 Like

Watch carefully at your local theaters, DC does one night only theater releases before straight to home release dates. I saw The Killing Joke at the theater, it was so much fun being surrounded by real fans who cheered and groaned and inappropriately laughed with the Joker with me!

2 Likes

Some of the direct to video animated movies have had theatrical releases as special occassion events, usually one night only type affairs. The upcoming animated Superman double feature will be a two-night jobber.

Granted these aren’t theatrical releases like your standard movies, but as long as you have a release on that level, it counts.

2 Likes

Mask of the phantasm had a theatrical release. The others are not high budget enough. But their quality is outstanding. Into the Spiderverse is like the first good Marvel animated film :joy::joy::joy:. In fact, the others are so bad, I have never even heard of marvel Animated films until recently.

2 Likes

I think the OP was referring more to the DC Universe Animated Original Movie line mostly, but if we’re talking all animated flicks, then in addition to MOTP, there’s also The Lego Batman Movie that had a theatrical release.

1 Like