Analyzing the Comics Selection on the DCU (with numbers!)

This is my first post, so I’m not sure how formatting on DCU forums works. I already put this in the General Discussion section but since it is specifically about the Comics, I figured it should go here too?

Here are the facts about the comics available on DCU. (Some of these numbers are rounded for clarity).

of Issues: 2,561

of Series: 306

Average # Issues Available per Series: 8

of Series with only 1 issue: 110 (36%)

of Series with 2 - 9 issues: 120 (39%)

of Series with 10 - 19 issues: 38 (13%)

of Series with 20 - 49 issues: 31 (10%)

of Series with 50 - 99 issues: 6 (2%)

of Series with more than 100 issues: 1 (0.3%)

My next goal is to analyze the publication years of the comics available but that will take significantly more time to accomplish. If I receive positive feedback on this post I will definitely do it though!

17 Likes

Have to say, I’m not a fan of how many series ONLY have #1s. I’d rather have less series overall with more issues per series. Just out of curiosity, what’s the series with 100 issues.

5 Likes

Great observation. Thanks for the hard work to put numbers to perception. Well done! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for doing this. I agree it is too high!

Thanks for the hard work and analysis. I hope the DCU realizes that over a third of the “curated” content being only issue # 1 reflects badly on their curation. I signed up for the service in hopes that I could sample some new titles that I am not familiar with. I have really enjoyed Birds of Prey, but as I read the run it was missing several tie in issues from crossover issues. So even the longer runs (20-99 issues) are incomplete. Keep up the good work! I hope your analysis and our feedback gets a better mix of issues and full runs for a full story.

1 Like

@u_no_hoo: The series with over 100 issues is Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight which has 103 issues available on DCU.

Its “Batman Legends of the Dark Knight” with 103 issues. 1-103.

@TravisMorgan: Just to clarify, those series mentioned only have one issue but it might not be the “first” issue. I’m planning to run more analyses that include full storylines vs one-shots vs incomplete storylines.

2 Likes