Analyzing Fake Bands Of The DCU

Great Frog is Roy Harper’s band. But exactly what genre are they supposed to be? Join me on this journey.

4 Likes

Ollie describes them as “rock-music” but frankly I do not trust him to identify genres

4 Likes

Here, they’re pretty clearly supposed to be some kind of psychedelic rock band, and I’d guess the lead singer’s outfit is a reference to Roger Daltrey’s iconic look at The Who’s Woodstock performance
Who-Woodstock

4 Likes

Rock-funk music. You should make one for Black Canary’s band.

3 Likes

That’s what I was thinking, since later depictions show them having a trumpet player

3 Likes

This depiction suggests they have a heavy jazz and funk influence.

3 Likes

Conclusion: Great Frog is a highly experimental band, with heavy garage-rock, psychedelic, RnB, and jazz influences.

Some real bands I’d imagine they’d sound like:

• Love
  • Sly and The Family Stone
  • I can see them having a Zappaesque era
  • The Small Faces
  • Blood, Sweat, And Tears
  • The Pretty Things

Verdict: I 100% would be rocking out to Great Frog on a regular basis. I bet their live shows are KILLER

4 Likes

Thinking perhaps careless whisper

That saxophone :saxophone:

3 Likes

Let’s talk about John Constantine’s Band, Mucous Membrane

This one’s way easier to pin down than Great Frog. They’re pretty clearly a hardcore punk band. Visually, there are a lot of Sex Pistols references, and Johnny’s pose feels very reminiscent of LA hardcore acts like Black Flag and DK.

Personally, I’ve always pegged John as more of a moody, gritty, postpunk guy (The Jam, The Clash, Public Image, The Smiths).

Verdict: I would ABSOLUTELY listen to Mucous Membrane, they totally seem like my kind of band. The pit would probably be INSANE and I’m very into it

4 Likes

Mal Duncan, Guardian and the Hornblower was a Blues performer in his own band in Titans East San Francisco location.

Apparently they were called Gabriel’s horn.

3 Likes

Blues is the best. Batman would agree. Hate you, but agree.

3 Likes

Some kind of Bubble Gum Pop? Like the Archies?

4 Likes

I am going to need MUCH more information! Is this canon?

3 Likes

This is already the greatest thread of the year

4 Likes

I agree

2 Likes

It’s just a sweet, sweet Darwyn Cooke cover.

4 Likes

Darn. Shout out to Roy for apparently being a multi-instrumentalist.

5 Likes

Thank you!! I’m honored

4 Likes

It may be time to consider the very real possibility that Great Frog is a ska band.

3 Likes

This is almost certainly correct. What other kind of rock band has a horn player

3 Likes