An unpopular opinion about Batman movies

So, hear me out…the redits are freaking about about “sparkly vampire” Patterson under the cowl. The Batflek was a WHOLE THING. Now this comes from a lifelong Gothamite, my 5 yr old is named Damien. But…It doesnt really matter who plays Batman. Literally ANYONE with a square jaw can play batman. He is probably the easiest, somewhat two dimentional character an actor can play. Batman is Batman, and we know who he is, EVERYBODY knows his utter LACK of sentimental human emotion (you know the HARD part for an actor). Like 1/3 of your face can be seen, and you literally just scowl for the whole movie. The Compelling part of ANY batman story is the VILLAIN! Batman movies make or break on the performance of Villian. Its like Batman himself is a constant, and the canvas. Everything cool, clever, and unpredictable comes from the Villian. Everything that is going to suck, comes from a badly executed villian.

4 Likes

The people who freak out about Pattinsons’ ability in acting based solely on Twilight, are a bit uneducated when it comes to his career. They are only looking at what’s most popular and not most quality.

I wish those who worry would just listen ajd watch The Lost City Of Z and I know they would definitely change their minds.

I may be wrong but I think he’ll do better than Affleck and Bale… and I love both them as the Bat - each for different reasons!

https://rapida.co/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/1558232039_965_7-Robert-Pattinson-Movies-That-Prove-Hes-More-Than-Twilight.jpg

7 Likes

I agree with every single point. I’ve always thought Batman’s really the villains’ show.

1 Like

I also think that Pattison will do good in the role, but would argue that he’s not 2 dimensional. You mention that the villains are the interesting characters in a Batman story which is totally true. Every villain is a foil to Batman in a different way. They all accent different parts of Batman’s character. Batman is thus, through his villains, one of the most multidimensional characters ever. Every villains that Batman fights brings out new, deeper character traits for him, and after 80 years of comics, he fought his fair share of criminals. Of course, I also see what you mean. He’s got his tropes like the mopiness and the “I’m Batman” shtick. I’d just argue that it takes an actor that can understand many different aspects of a character, and has the chops to pull of a character of many masks.

4 Likes

Oof, there are a few grammatical errors in there you’ll have to overlook. Can’t wait until we get that edit button in Community 2.0 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ok now i agree with @YoYo i’m being torn apart by inner conflict

1 Like

Honestly the issue isn’t playing Batman, it’s playing Bruce Wayne… there has to be a playboy like quality that he puts on as a front, and he has to be able to shift from brooding to charming and back again with ease. Also not anyone can play Batman (Val Kilmer and George Clooney)

2 Likes

I agree with Tragedy_22. Not just anyone can play Batman. He has to be able to pull-off the Bruce Wayne look, and the ‘Playboy Cool’, all while being able to turn on the dark and gritty personae of a Dark Vigilante. I don’t think its as easy as you are suggesting. Michael Keaton and Christian Bale are both solid actors and it was a struggle for them (but they both did it well).

As far as the other thing… ‘It’s all about the Villian’…
I just flat out disagree (and I know I’m in the minority in this) In the long run we read these stories and watch the Movies (and even TV shows) because the Dark Knight is one of the greatest fictional characters ever created. He goes beyond Cool… He’s not a Boyscout, and there is of course, no Super Powers. He’s just one Bad-ass Man. A determined and highly focused individual who decided to stand up and do something about those villians.

We’re all scared of the dark in some way… our imaginations can run away with it if we let it… just cue up any Batman villian and a lot of them are pretty scary to imagine as REAL and running around out there in the dark.
But Batman is all about the Darkness… and he’s on our side.
NOPE, its not about the villian… its about bringing a Vigilante to life on the screen that makes us believe he can defeat that darkness.
(Denny O’Neil the great writer and editor for DC Comics for many years, also made this point many years ago. And he hit the nail on the head)

2 Likes

Let me begin by saying that I am not against the Pattinson casting. He was in a bad movie, so what? Find me a great actor who hasn’t. He’s been really good in stuff that he’s done down the road and he certainly looks the part of a young Bruce Wayne. Honestly, though, your comments on Batman ring inaccurate to me. The difference between a good Batman actor and a great Batman actor is that the good Batman actor can do the gruff voice and look good in the tights. The great Batman actor can do that stuff and also show subtle emotion while no longer wearing the cape and cowl. Think Ben Affleck vs. Michael Keaton.

2 Likes

Patman is gonna shock the world

2 Likes

I don’t think just anyone can play Batman, but I think Pattinson is a fine choice (especially versus Hoult).

3 Likes

@Tragedy22

I guess te question is really, what makes people think that Pattinson won’t be able to play a great/believable Bruce Wayne? Or rather, it should be: What do you really want in a Bruce Wayne.

The billionaire playboy is something easy that anyone can pull off but the emotional trauma behind the death pf the family, the isolation snd inability to normally connect to people is what really makes Bruce Wayne a psychological horror to inhabit.

Again, gonna say that anyone who doubts Pattinson can achieve this has only seen the Twilight films and I can’t take them too seriously or to heart since any and every other act he’s done has been somewhat impressive.

4 Likes

@ taddmcdivitt - Batman is not simply a two-dimensional character. Maybe when he was first introduced in 1939, but there has been a 80 years worth of material written to flesh out his character, his backstory, his flaws, weaknesses and strengths, and his supporting characters.

If he’s written in a particular piece to be that way - be it in a comic book story or a film or TV episode - then that’s one thing. If you see him as a two-dimensional character, that’s another thing entirely, as I feel you’re not expecting much out of the character anyway from what you posted in your OP.

Just had to get that off my chest! LOL

Now to your point about villains being the most compelling part of a Batman movie, I certainly agree with that to a certain degree. Batman is the hero of the story, so he reacts to what the villains do. But I think all of the Batman films since '89 have written Bruce/Batman beyond (heh heh) just simply being a guy in a suit because his name is in the title. Vicki Vale was an emotional speed bump to Batman in '89, plus we’d never actually seen his parents gunned down before in any Batman live action moment before that film. Selina Kyle was also an emotional speed bump in Batman Returns, but I agree here her story was more compelling than any other character in that film. Ben Affleck’s Batman was overwhelmed by the potential threat he saw Superman pose to humanity in BvS. I think it’s just how we each choose to see - or no see - what’s in the story.

2 Likes

Well said Frank the Tank.

I suppose i should clarify, that Batman doesnt HAVE to be a two dimensional character, i just find that he often is…especially in live action movies.

The Animated Batman from the 90’s was a VERY GOOD, and completely multilayered Dark Knight.

2 Likes

If we are going with unpopular opinions, I honestly didn’t thing Ben affleck was that bad. He is playing an older more jaded Batman who, honestly, doesn’t care what happens to the bad guys anymore. It is implied that he has lost at least one Robin. Since he no longer cares, he does what he thinks is needed to get the job done.

That being said, the script needed a lot of work. … and some color other than black.

1 Like

Ben Affleck sucked as both Batman & Bruce Wayne. I think he is a reason people can see live-action Batman as a 2d character. Allfleck’s was so 2d you could slip it under a door.

2 Likes

I actually don’t think Affleck was that bad at least not in bvs he was kinda bad in Justice league though but I feel like thats because they tried to do a complete 360 on what the character was in bvs due to the bad reviews but he wasn’t the main problem in either movie

2 Likes

@Desade thank you! Wasn’t a fan either.

2 Likes

Yeah I tend to agree with this. You cast a jaw. My old boss at the comic shop had a whole rant about Batman actors and how easy it is. A stuntman also does a lot of heavy lifting in costume too.

2 Likes

Well, you’re right and you’re wrong. You’re right that Batman has a track record of very little depth in live action. However, when that’s a case, there’s something fundamentally dysfunctional in the script. Ditto for comics, really. Even some good writers screw this up. I think Greg Rucka might agree with you that Batman lacks human emotion, but I doubt Denny O’Neil or Paul Dini would. I think all three of them are great writers, but Rucka’s Batman stories are incredibly frustrating.

As for Pattman, I think people are making a big deal out of nothing. I haven’t seen him in much but he looks the part and everybody does bad movies sometimes. I’ll form an opinion once we have some footage to work with.

4 Likes