AN Honest Opinion on "The Dark Knight Returns"

I have No clue.

1 Like

It’s cool, I got it like the first three times you said it: Batman=good, Superman=bad. At least in the world according to Miller…

1 Like

No…its more actually according to me as I don’t like Superman and am a Huge Batman fan.
PS: I do like Clark kent thought he is a swell guy. (not being sarcastic here but i am joking around a bit)

2 Likes

O Rly

1 Like

Joker ate Jason in TDKR?

1 Like

Yes. As shown in Last Crusade.

1 Like

I presume you did not read Master Race where I stare in awe at how amazing Clark is.

I love my best friend so much.

2 Likes

I was underwhelmed by DKSA; thought All-Star Batman and Robin was pretty bad; and then Holy Terror came out. At this point, I don’t have much interest in reading Miller anymore, so, no, I haven’t touched Master Race.

2 Likes

Master Race is really underrated. Enjoyed that one!

3 Likes

(Goes to Vomit)

1 Like

While I don’t think it should be lauded as “The greatest Batman story ever” It absolutely deserves to be essential reading. It serves as an example of Frank Miller doing an inversion of the character he grew up with In order to serve the Aesthetics of its time.
Miller was born in '57 so his introduction likely would have been Comics code approved comics, or Adam West. I’m sure he was familiar with the darker stuff a bit later, but for all intents and purposes that was his Batman.
The media of the 80s was excessive so the stuff he consumed during the time of inception was more than likely someone like Schwarzenegger beating on people and blowing stuff up. Miller would have also hit 30 around that time so he was probably dealing with issues of his own mortality. Having also moved to New York in the late 70s, he probably was privy to street crime maybe even some police brutality or corruption. He saw that the flower children of the 60s failed, systems in place failed, the status quo only serves the elite, and his Batman would never be able to combat that. So he made one who could.

4 Likes

I also enjoyed “Master Race” and “Last Crusade” but credit where credit is due, I think the Brian Azzarello contributions elevated the stories, to what they were. Having read “The Dark Knight Strikes Again” and “The Golden Child” I Can Only Imagine what’s sort of fever dream Miller would have come up with on his own.

2 Likes

This series will likely always be among my favorites as it’s one of the first batman books I ever read…why my middle school library had this and Batman: DKSA I have no idea.
I have to say I found Bratty Jon Kent from The Golden Child extremely enjoyable…Side Note: I swear there is something going on between Carrie Kelly and Lara Kent. but it could just be their best friends and i am reading too much into it.

2 Likes

@84mdcb.20696 At the time I was always a 29 year old, and Miller could not see himself being older than me.

1 Like

One thing I don’t like about this is it sets the modern age trend for future unhappy bruce.

1 Like

Wasn’t he unhappy in the 70’s?

1 Like

well in earth 2 he gets 20 years of bliss with Selina before she dies, and then he dies a year later.

2 Likes

Not really, he was having loads of fun back then with Silver St. Cloud and Selina Kyle. to say nothing of the fact that he once spent an entire Christmas singing Carols with the GCPD Glee Club. (Try and have the present day Batman fit THAT into his brooding schedule!)

2 Likes

I liked Sin City, but otherwise…

Miller is whatever. Hit and miss.

1 Like

Before or after O’Neill

Don’t you mean ‘hit or miss’?

1 Like