Amber Heard As Mera– Should WB Keep Her or Recast Mera or Cut the Character Altogether in Aquaman 2?

It’s okay, no one will notice. Like the Darrens on Bewitched. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

As long as Mera sings “Edelweiss” to Arthur, I’ll be good.

1 Like

No Klingon opera?

1 Like

Wait. Does this count?

1 Like

Or, you haven’t heard “Edelweiss” until you’ve heard it in the original Klingon.

1 Like

This is not “the studio system” days, where people were signed for multi picture deals and the studios decided what those films would be.

The fact is actors are a replaceable commodity. That is the nature of the business and has been for decades. Eartha Kitt’s casting wasn’t for diversity, it was 1969, diversity casting wasn’t a thing. It was that you weren’t going to find an actress with the skills and rack of Julie Newmar, so you cast in the complete opposite direction. Give people something different in a first rate Eartha Kitt or palm them off with a second rate (at best) Julie Newmar.

Whether season 3 was going to warrant a season 4 was certainly in doubt with Batmania on the decline. But the ads for season 3 had been sold and season 3 was a go. Ya cast who you can, and make the best with what you’ve got. IMO, that is the professional thing to do. If Aquaman 2 tanks, you don’t want to have given Mamoa a 5 film $200 million contract. Because now you are stuck with him for 4 more films and he may not put butts in seats like he did before. That would be a bad business move, which is why it is so seldom done. Sure, when the MCU was well underway, you give multi-film deals to your top stars, because you’ve already budgeted for it because you are budgeting 5+ movies ahead. DC films is not in that situation at present.

2 Likes

This is a cursed post. :rofl:

1 Like

As for recasting, two that come to mind that were far more successful was Don Chedle replacing Anthony Howard as Rhodey/War Machine and Mark Ruffalo replacing Edward Norton as Bruce Banner/The Hulk in the MCU. Considering she’s only been in one movie (one and a half if you count her small role in Justice League), if they can find a replacement that has similar if not stronger acting skills and a good chemistry with Mamoa, I don’t think it would exactly be the end of the world.

2 Likes

Also, Marvel signed “unknown” talent early on. Robert Downey Jr. was damaged goods prior to Iron Man, Hemsworth and Evans were just starting out. They signed them to multi-picture contracts at a much lower price than they are worth now. Look at Paramount trying to get Hemsworth and Pine back for Star Trek, but they can’t agree on a price. They replaced Terrance Howard with Don Cheadle without blinking an eye.

Marvel is good at spotting talent and helping them become stars. Once Kevin Feige ousted Ike Perlmutter he finally got more money for the Marvel films. That’s how he kept RDJ, but the torch is being passed to the newer, younger talent. Marvel knows there are young actors willing to sign multi-picture deals because of Marvel’s track record of creating stars. DC hasn’t found their Feige yet. Snyder definitely wasn’t it.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be a bit weird if they just, re-casted her?

Plus I think she fits the role.

1 Like

Probably initially but just like how Norton’s Hulk or Howard’s Rhodey (Iron Man) was replaced no one bats an eye on the replacement anymore.

If they and her were in the role for years and made it their own like RDJ did with Tony Stark or Hugh Jackman did with Wolverine it could be really weird.

With DC’s concurrent films released that have Batman & Joker’s existence acknowledged but played by different actors it’s not too strange to see a different actors face on a DC character especially with little distance between the portrayals like Ben’s Batman, Robert’s Batman, Jared’s Joker and Joaquin’s Joker.

Not even including T.V. where they have their own Flash, Cyborg, Superman, etc. It’s pretty interesting how DC’s normalized seeing different people play iconic roles simultaneously to one another.

6 Likes

Recast with someone who can act. Would not be surprised if she got the role from a Kevin Tsujihara ala Charlotte Kirk, if you know what I mean.
From her and Depp’s verbal exchange, she was being unfaithful. Maybe it was a career choice to do so. I know that’s all projecting, but she is a pretty bad actress and if any if the negative press is true, she should be “canceled” just like Kevin Spacey and every other power abuser.
Maybe they can kill her off and bring in Dolphin or Deep Blue or something.
I’ve personally always thought Amber Heard was gorgeous and talentless.

4 Likes

I like her as Mera. Even if you don’t like her as a person, one can still admit she did great as Mera, and she looks perfect for the role

2 Likes

I’m hesitant to believe a lot of stories until more evidence is released. This was after knowing Amber Heard’s previous domestic violence history. When the news first broke out on Johnny Depp I didn’t jump to conclusions. Then, as a few court proceedings happened, Amber Heard’s story had holes. The alleged story did affect jobs including Depp’s and his reputation.

When I heard the audio, Heard legit scared me. I have never been a victim of domestic violence, but I sadly seen instances of domestic violence from the abuser to the victim. The leaked audiotape alone carries a lot of weight. It was just outright chilling along with the other evidence that has been leaked and/or released. I wouldn’t be surprised if Heard’s team has other evidence, and the case is far from being finished. As previous posts have mentioned, it could swing right back at Depp.

All I can say, for me as a viewer and comic book fan, it is hard for me to see Amber Heard the same. I just don’t see her as Mera any longer. Domestic violence is a hard thing to swallow or put aside for me because of my prior history with this topic. Since principal photography didn’t take place and it is a long way off, then I’m frankly leaning more towards recasting. I would never cut Mera because she is important to Aquaman’s story and history.

7 Likes

She deserves her day in court; which should come before production on Aquaman 2 starts. I am also reminded a strong offense is the best defense; so I wonder if Team Depp is throwing as much mud as possible to hide his on transgressions. I wonder how many currently screaming for her removal would back off if WB decided to wash their hands of the entire affair and remove both of them. The crying from the Harry Potter fans about their sequels being screwed up. Don’t misunderstand me, I believe Johnny deserves his day in court as well; then let’s see where the chips fall.

1 Like

She’s accused of faking photos of injuries Witt witnesses backing it up that he wasn’t there to leave the marks. The recordings. The previous accusations of domestic violence. She is not a role model for any girl. Mera is someone little girls can look up to.
Recast recast recast regardless of what Depp did. He lost his movies and he’s been Cap. Jack for how long? He’s not getting his second chance. She cut part of his finger off! Smh let them both lose careers and sort it out being ugly in a court room.

4 Likes

Sorry but as you said accused, not proved. If you want to lead the lynching go ahead, but there has already been too much of that in social media already. Depp fell victim to it, also unfairly. Both deserve a chance to vindicate themselves in court. If guilty then, punishments can be decided, screaming recast her adds nothing to the clarity of what happened. If you don’t like it too bad, but I will wait for the unbiased decision.

As far as Capt Jack, the Pirates movies have been less profitable with each new release. Whose to say Disney didn’t use the incident as an excuse to get rid of him; they have done that before.

3 Likes

On a side note, I don’t understand her motivation if she is lying. Their divorce was pretty much in the rear view mirror; her career was looking up with the release of Aquaman. So what did she hope to gain by falsely accusing Depp. Stupidity is not a crime in most cases, but this one will be criminal if it plays out that way.

3 Likes

I don’t think the movie has even started shooting yet, so it’s not like it’s out of the question to recast. That and WB’s reputation as a very reactionary studio has to be taken into consideration. This a studio that re-edited an entire movie(Suicide Squad) to make it more like Guardians of the Galaxy, and abandoned an entire film universe before it actually took off. If they sense that Amber Heard’s appearance in Aquaman 2 will hurt it’s odds of making the same money the first one did, I can totally see them getting rid of her.

4 Likes

I never said otherwise. In my first post, I explicitly stated that I don’t really know what happened.

The part I found inflammatory was when you took my statement, converted it into an absurd absolute, and then mocked me for that absurd absolute.

2 Likes