Amazon Headquarters

:rofl:

6 Likes

This is awesome! Also like the mention to the Amazons being daughters of Ares and Harmonia, which I think is referenced in Rebirth.

I did actually know Themyscira was a real place, and that it was said to be home of the Amazons in myth. I didn’t learn that from such a classical source as you though… Pretty sure it was in my Making of Wonder Woman movie book, which I read cover to cover while I was still a comic newb. That’s also where I learned that General Ludendorf was a real person in WWI. I don’t have great historical knowledge, I just feel compelled to read all the things when I get obsessed with something. :world_of_wonder:

Mythology is so interesting because everyone has a reference for it, and it can be reinterpreted and used to make completely new stories, like with Wonder Woman. Lately I’ve been playing the game Hades a lot again. I played it when it came out, but this is the first time I’ve gone back to it since being a Wonder Woman fan. It does change my relationship with the Greek gods to have these other references in my head now. And I love seeing how this game also has a unique interpretation of mythology. It’s definitely got a different take on many of the gods than WW comics do. Although everyone seems to be agreed that Aphrodite wanders around without clothes on most of the time. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. Patty Jenkins is perfect for Wonder Woman solo movies and Gal Gadot is as irreplaceable in the role as RDJ is for Iron Man. JG implied that Gal Gadot is staying in the role and Patty Jenkins’ Twitter post implies that she might come back to DC for more Wonder Woman films but we won’t know anything for sure until there’s an official announcement.

My hope is that Gal Gadot remains Wonder Woman for the long haul whether it’s a soft/partial reboot or a full reboot/reset and I also hope that Patty Jenkins comes back to make more Wonder Woman films within the next three years, even if they end up being completely different from her original plan for Wonder Woman 3.

9 Likes

Welcome back to the community @WWofThemyscira! :partying_face: Please don’t hesitate to let the moderator team know if you need anything. :wonderwoman:

9 Likes

Thank you! :grin:

9 Likes

Welcome back @WWofThemyscira!!! Always great to have another WW fan!

8 Likes

Agreed! Imagine what someone else coming into either role would have to go through to win the fans.

Also, welcome back to the community.

7 Likes

Thank you!! Gal Gadot is just too perfect to recast any time soon. Reboot or not, she has to stay in the role!

7 Likes

I doubt they will recast Gal, but won’t be surprised if they use Yara instead, a blank canvas for Gunn, which based on his previous projects, he likes the characters he can flesh out so 5o speak.

7 Likes

I’d be excited to see movies about Yara Flor as long as Gal Gadot keeps playing the mainstream universe’s Diana Prince, even if it’s just supporting or co-lead roles.

7 Likes

I hope so, too! :pray:

Also, welcome back! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :blush:

7 Likes

I love Yara…but what about Nubia? She’s long overdue for her film debut. :star_struck:

7 Likes

Seeing Nubia in live-action would be so amazing! :grin: What would be just as amazing would be seeing Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman become the mentor of Donna Troy and later Cassie Sandsmark. I would LOVE to see something like this in live-action someday:

7 Likes

I’ve only seen a few clips of DCSHG here and there and I love everything with WW and Steve. This gif is pure gold :rofl: what episode is this from?

6 Likes

She also would be a good choice, but I think Gunn comments about a younger Superman may lead to a DCEU based on Jon, Yara and Damian, gets him around competing with the Snyder verse. Then bringing in the old guard so to speak later. No reason why, just a thought that occurred to me.

7 Likes

If Henry Cavill’s Superman, Ben Affleck’s Batman, and Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman got one last hurrah before passing the torch to Jon, Damian, and Yara I’d be happy, I just think WBD would want to focus more on the originals. There might have to be a major timejump for the new generation too. It’d be easy for Superman, but the DCEU Batman was already going to have Carrie Kelley succeed the deceased Dick Grayson and I think Wonder Woman should at least be acknowledged as having trained Donna and Cassie (and worked alongside Nubia and Artemis) before Yara becomes the new Wonder Woman. But again, that can all be explained as having happened offscreen after a timejump.

6 Likes

This would be amazing! Bring in all the Amazons! Just please, WB, don’t take away our Gal. :pray:

Oh, gotcha. Guess this makes sense. Although, while all of us here know who these characters are, I feel like the average movie-goer will not. But maybe that’s the point? :thinking:

7 Likes

I think a moment like this is so much better if the films introduced and characterized Donna Troy and Cassie Sandsmark beforehand. If they built a strong bond between them and Gal Gadot’s Diana Prince, seeing all three in their eagle armors together would be something really special! :eagle:

6 Likes

I am now reading Pausanias’s Guide to Greece. He travelled all over Greece in 150 AD and then wrote about what he saw, mostly focusing on temples and architecture, with a lot of diversions into mythology and history (and often a blending of the two). I just ran into another mention of Themyscira. I knew that it was mentioned by him. Am I reading this book solely because I knew it had Amazon stuff in it? Not entirely, but it was a factor in my picking to read it now.

Pausanias is describing a monument at Athens. I think it is interesting that in this version it is not Hippolyta who leaves with Theseus, but Antiope.

Shakespeare followed the account written by Plutarch, and thus Hippolyta appears in the play A Midsummer Night’s Dream as the fiancé of Theseus.

Apparently, whoever Theseus married he later set aside to marry Phaedra, and the Amazons attacked Athens out of anger.

Anyway, just a little more of me delving into my love of Greek Mythology. Hope someone finds it of interest.

5 Likes

Of great interest, love Mythology read most of it many years ago, and have forgotten these neat DC references you bring up, perhaps time for some rereads.

4 Likes