Amazon Headquarters

I think Gods of Gotham was the first WW arc I ever read.

8 Likes

I love Cho and Paquette. As Marshmallow Pete says, “So good!”

Right? Strawberries top cheesecake in a most wonderful, yummy, fashion.

Great Hera, I can’t remember my first WW arc.

They say you never forget your first, but evidently I did.

7 Likes

Just to randomly comment, something ive been really enjoying about the current run of Wonder Woman is how its been grabbing up obscure characters from Wonder Womans rogue gallery like Gundra, Gadget-Maker and Image-Maker and breathing life into them to make them new and interesting.

It really makes me want to look back at other one note single shot villains of the era and muse over who could pop up next.

Termite Queen and her legion of omnivorous termites?

Baron De Boar the boar headed doof with his army of knightly automatons and a dream to reclaim his ancestors glory?

Strogo the Wizard of Thought who ruled an army of fairytale monsters with a desire to conquer all of the fairy tales?

Doctor Domino the domino man and his evil plots for world domination?

King Tassel of planet Rykornia and his dreams of turning the Earth into one giant nutrient stealing corn field?

There is so much delightful weirdness in Wonder Womans rogue gallery that so many amazing possibilities exist.

14 Likes

Of your choices, my vote goes to Baron De Boar, as he’s just oddly odd in a grand way.

Plus, knights kick ass and anyone with an army of them is worth reading about, especially when its a villain who’s going up against Our Fair Themysciran (FYI, the role Audrey Hepburn was born to play, but sadly didn’t).

7 Likes

I didn’t even realize a lot of those characters are old WW enemies, that’s really cool!

Makes me wonder why they haven’t used some of the more C-tier WW villains then, like Blue Snowman or Angleman.

8 Likes

Now, I know why I could never find any WW action figures.

8 Likes

Hmm…Makes me wonder if I should just do a little segment about different Wonder Woman villains. Theres literally hundreds of the things and dozens of them are utterly bizarre and surreal and worth at least a look.

10 Likes

Sounds interesting.

5 Likes

:smile:

I don’t have all of those figures of Diana and company I posted above…just most of them. :wink:

There’s also an early 2000s Artemis I’m on the hunt for, but didn’t post a picture of.

She’s by DC Direct and is from a WW-themed assortment from 2000 or so that, if memory serves, also included Diana, battle armor Diana and Ares.

When it comes to Wonder Woman-based figures I’m always hunting for, the above-mentioned Artemis joins the Circe and Donna Troy figures from the 2007 Wonder Woman line by DC Direct as a Trinity of WW-based grails my toy hunting “senses” always do their best to sniff out (no luck yet, but they’ll come along, one day).

Meanwhile, Todd McFarlane is distracting me from said grails via his latest current and upcoming WW product.

Thanks, Todd! (seriously good sir, thank you :slightly_smiling_face:)

7 Likes

Name: Baron De Boar
First Appearance: Sensation Comics 106
Creators: Robert Kanigher and H.G. Peter
Abilities: Can control his automaton knights with his mind, robotics engineering, wearing a suit of indestructible armor

Backstory:
The distant direct descendant of a renowned baron from medevil times, Baron De Boar was a mild mannered scientist who spent his whole life pining for the wealth, recognition, and power which his family once possessed ages prior.

Thus toiling away in plot and preparation for decades, Baron De Boar began a villainous plot with the intention of taking back what he believed to be his by birthright!

A secret lost to the ages by all but the De Boar family line was that the secret of the original De Boars success was that he had secretly invented indestructible armor from a mysterious unknown metal whose secrets were not divulged with anyone and were lost to time.

Thus robbing a museum containing some of his ancestors armors, The scientist now dubbing himself ‘Baron De Boar’ outfitted the interior of the armors with robotics and donning one of the suits himself, he stuck the traditional pigs head of his family onto his head with a neural transmitter installed, allowing him to control his mechanical knights with but a thought.

Baron De Boar would then proceed to direct his automic knights of terror to raid other caches of his ancient ancestors indestructible armor so he could create a small army of invincible knights. With his first goal being to raid the estate which had been his family home for centuries and wrest control of it from the tourism firm. Claiming the castle of Baron De Boar for himself!

11 Likes

Name:Termite Queen
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #58 1953
Creators: Robert Kanigher and H.G Peter
Abilities: The proportionate speed and strength of a termite! Bug riding, flight, absolute dominion over all termites in the world.

Backstory: A dark secret known to the worlds scientists but kept from the public for the truth would drive them mad, termites are in reality omnivorous creatures capable of eating through any wood, metal, stone and substance at frightening speed.

The only thing stopping them from ending all of human civilization in a matter of days is a general lazyness and preference for wood. Their lack of focus and organization being the only thing stopping Termite kind from devastating the world!

However this would change with the birth of Termite Queen! A queen amongst her species who through methods unexplained, became the ruler of every termite…In the world! Desiring to end humanity for the wrongs committed against Termite-kind, she directed the termites of the world to begin the destruction of human civilization!

Thus railways, bridges, banks, skyscrapers. All would become the target of a termite force that was countless in number. Ignoring their beloved wood in order to target the infrastructure that humanity so dearly relied upon. Intent on devouring the civilization which made humanity what they are!

All thanks to the dreaded Termite Queen.

termite

9 Likes

I am loving how completely bonkers these are! Thank you for inspiring me to get back to my Golden Age reading. :grin:

@SteveTrevor2.0 Got any favorite weird villains from this era?

7 Likes

Long Live Termite Queen.

7 Likes

Your welcome. ^^
Im delighted at the chance to share some examples of just how utterly bonkers Wonder Woman was back in the day and the plethora of villains available for writers to really play with.

7 Likes

In the Golden Age there a lot of “themed” gangs that Wonder Woman fought. My absolute favorite was “The Grenade Gang” who were known for throwing grenades, apparently:

Unfortunately, I didn’t write down which issue this was from, or even what this guys’ name is, but I love him none the less:

This guy wins based on vibes:

My ultimate favorite Golden Age villain:

The modern age is amazing for compelling stories and amazing art, but sometimes the enthusiasm of the Golden Age and the sillyness of the Silver Age are what really hits the spot!

5 Likes

The Barnacle Gang:

How could I have forgotten the Leprechaun typewriter!?!?! It doesn’t get better than this!

Yeah, I might’ve spent too much time re-reading posts I made over the past few years. :grin:

6 Likes

Ah, that reminds me, I should probably cover Angle man at some point since several of those weirdly thematic gangs were tied to him one way or another…

7 Likes

Name: King Ironsides
First Appearance: Comic Cavalcade #23 (1947)
Creators: H.G Peter and either Robert Kanigher or Joye Hummel.
Abilities: Supremely skilled geologist, gun haver, giant mech suit pilot, shortness

Backstory: Brother of Doctor Psycho, Proffessor Psycho was a brilliant mind in the field of geology who had dedicated his life towards the singular goal of finding vast wealth underground, and living a life of wealth and luxury off of what he had discovered.

Unfortunately all of the really good sites for things like precious gemstones and rich caches of gold were either on land claimed by someone else, or were deep in the wilds where one native tribe or another were living a quiet and peaceful life.

Thus Professor Psycho did the only sensible thing and hired a gang of henchmen so they could all pilot twenty foot tall mech suits in order to kill and enslave local populations. Forcing them to mine for the precious wealth which the Psycho brother so coveted.

In order to keep their efforts from being discovered and ensuring that no one of authority would try and stop them or their schemes, they would refer to themselves as Iron Giants and Psycho would take on the moniker of ‘King Ironsides’ counting on casual racism to aid them in their efforts. For indeed, when surviving natives would seek out aid from the iron giants who were raiding their homes and kidnapping their people, they would get a pat on the head and sent on their way. The great crisis threatening them being written off as ‘savage superstition’

However~ ‘King Ironsides’ had a second goal near and dear to his heart! He wanted revenge on Wonder Woman! Not for what she did to his brother, but rather what she did to his family name! For in catching Doctor Psycho and outing him as a terrible and horrible individual in the eyes of the public, it established for the first time ever, a negative connotation with the name ‘Psycho’

king ironsides
professor psycho
iron giants 2

9 Likes

Where are you accessing all this good stuff? It’s not on DCUI.

5 Likes

Generally speaking, a combination of scanning physical copies, finding pages scattered around websites like ‘Amazon Archives’ and exchanging information/pages with other fans of Wonder Woman.

I can’t claim to have read all of it as im aware of a few ive yet to get my hands on, but im pretty confident ive read the better part of Wonder Womans history

9 Likes