Amazon Headquarters

Heads up, @WonderSquadron - the July book club reading is up! Please join us as we learn more about Artemis and Cassie Sandsmark. :wondersquadron1:

9 Likes

Apologies for the delay @nuuninuunani! :purple_heart:

It’s hard to say :thinking: might depend on the player.

9 Likes

Ps. Hope everyone has a happy and safe holiday weekend! :purple_heart:

7 Likes

6 Likes

Name: Gerta Von Gunther
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #3 (1942)
Creators: William Marston and H.G Peter
Abilities: Amazonian super strength and ability. Can deflect bullets with bracelets. Scientific genius.

Backstory: Daughter of Paula Von Gunther, Gerta was but a toddler when her father was murdered by nazi soldiers and she herself was imprisoned within a concentration camp in order to force Paula Von Gunthers cooperation with their war efforts.

Rescued by Wonder Woman, Gerta would be raised amongst the Amazons, learning their ways until her willfull nature began to show itself, leading to Paula leaving with Gerta to the outside world where she would be raised in America.

Growing up at Holliday college where Paula Von Gunther received a position as part of the universitys faculty, Gerta would grow up and over time develop an intense love of science. Striving above all else to discover and learn, Gerta would commit herself to creating incredible and seemingly impossible scientific feats for no better reason than BECAUSE SCIENCE! Not for one moment considering the possible dangers or ramifications to her endeavors.

Additional images:

gerta 7

8 Likes

I wanted to do a supporting character and a villain every day but gosh is it difficult to find time to do two of these a day when one has other stuff to do :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

We appreciate you whenever and however you have time to contribute! The important thing is you’re having fun doing it. :+1:

8 Likes

:expressionless:

Also by any chance would someone please post anything in the encyclopedia of villains? Apparently its barring me from making 20 posts in a row

7 Likes

I just posted in there. Hopefully you can post again.

8 Likes

Name: Kathra
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #7 (1943)
Creators: William Marston and H.G Peter
Abilities: Amazonian super strength and ability. The power of learning. Teaching.

Backstory: Amazon of Paradise Island. Kathra was a school teacher for the young Amazonettes which were born from clay and dwelled upon the isle.

Teaching them subjects such as trigonometry, geometry, and physics. The Amazon school teacher would ensure they would master the ‘basics’ early on in life so that they would be prepared for more difficult studies when they grew older.

Because the greatest power of all is having an education!

Additional image:

9 Likes

Out of curiosity, what are favorite runs people have?

8 Likes

My favorite:

This was where it all started. There is so much positive energy here. I just love the art and the message so much. Not sure why it clicked for me so much, but it did. Some parts are painful and uncomfortable, but I feel it is important to be uncomfortable sometimes so we don’t return to such times.

Also my favorite:

This is just sheer wacky fun. Love the impossible adventures. Wonder Tot is pretty hilarious. I love how her own mother calls her “Wonder Tot.” 10/10 entertainment value there.

Another of my favorites:

I know a lot of people didn’t enjoy this run, but it was a great read for me. And Diana adventured with Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. Like, what was even happening? I don’t care because I loved it!

And how could I forget this favorite:

This is what brought Diana to the modern world and established her backstory (well, until they changed it all again). Great characters and stories. Really brought Themyscira to life and such Amazon favorites as Phillipus.

I like the modern stuff as well after Perez, but this earlier stuff is my favorite. Some modern writers brought some awesome stories to the table. Most brought great stuff to the table. Some brought questionable stuff, but it is all good.

I don’t mind how the character is different in each version. I don’t mind mini-reboot after mini-reboot. Each of them is Diana, and that’s what matters.

Also, I own too many Wonder Woman omnibuses for someone who can just read them all online, but that’s another issue altogether. :rofl:

8 Likes
  • I like what Perez did with the Amazons and the Olympians. And the abilities the gods granted her; unity with the beasts, in particular.
  • I like the weird Olympians, but I am not so keen on Zeus being Diana’s father. I am not sure which run, but I am pretty sure I am not mixing things up. please correct me if I am wrong.
  • I still have more to discover when it comes Wonder Woman

But that started before you can read them all online. or no?

8 Likes

6 Likes

My favorite run of the main Wonder Woman title is Greg Rucka’s Rebirth. I also like Shea Fontana’s Rebirth issues that followed, and Rucka’s original early 2000’s run.

But many of my other favorites are not part of the core series at all. For example, Bombshells and Smallville: Olympus are among my best-loved and most-reread Diana stories.

I also really love the anthologies, like Agent of Peace and Black and Gold. These may be my very favorite ways to read Wonder Woman because you don’t have to worry about which timeline or version of events we’re in right now - just enjoy self-contained adventures that encapsulate what makes Diana so wonderful.

And don’t worry, @SteveTrevor2.0, I also like to have all my favorite stories in physical volumes even though I can access them online. :sweat_smile:

I really want to read my way through all of these again now… :world_of_wonder:

8 Likes

Name: Ranagor
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #190 (1970)
Creators: Dennis O’Neil and Mike Sekowsky
Abilities: Impressive physical strength and flexability. Skilled in the use of duel sword fighting.

Backstory: Barbarian prince of the wilds, Ranagor was home to another dimension where magic held sway and beasts prowled the lands. His people living freely off their lands.

However when he was captured by the forces of the Queen of Chalandor, Ranagor would cross paths with Diana Prince. The two of them quickly learning to work together and joined forces to battle their way free of the vile queens efforts.

With the mighty barbarian becoming an ally of the Amazing Amazon, there was little they could not accomplish. Thus Diana would be invited to visit whenever she wished, for she had proven herself to be a great friend to Ranagor and his people.

Additional images:

8 Likes

To answer my own question, I rather enjoy the golden age stuff but particularly Joye Hummels tenure on the book. It can’t be undersold just how much weird and wacky she brought to the series from populating the other worlds in the solar system, to establishing Wonder Woman as a literal embodiment of women empowerment who gets pulled across time and space by the pleas of those in need, to establishing elements such as the Venus girdle, Gerta Von Gunthers mad science, and Villainy Inc.

Im also really fond of Paul Jiminez’ run with its efforts to make use of some of Wonder Womans lesser used villains and reinventing others in fascinating ways. Really hitting home that the Amazons have this advanced society, and that Wonder Woman has friends across the world.

Also it might be a little premature of me, but id 100% list Cloonan and Conrads run as a favorite as well. I can’t say I know where the story is going, but gosh do I ever have a weakness for stories wherin Wonder Woman travels across worlds seeing fascinating vistas and meeting people unlike any she had known before.

8 Likes

I’d go with Perez’s myself, though the ones mentioned above are great as well. I would also add the Earth One stories and the Conan miniseries as well.

7 Likes

Just a little Amazon love :heart:…reshot all shelves containing WW… I think. Figures did fall from phone bumping into them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. But…worth it…

Pe’rez Love :two_hearts: was gonna post more. But, it’s overloading on me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7 Likes

:raised_hand: Anything Greg Rucka for me mostly. Perez. Loved Agent of Peace and Brave and the BoldBlack & Gold was pretty awesome too.

And (not that anyone asked :laughing:) I’m still slightly obsessed w/ this Bosslogic 750 cover :star_struck:

and this Liam Sharp.

8 Likes