Amazon Headquarters

:raised_hands:

8 Likes

I’ll bet Marvel was happy with Elektro…

7 Likes

So I finally got the chance to check this out. I definitely enjoyed the storyline. It was very entertaining from the perspective of the world and characters explored. Also had wonderful characterizations of both Diana and Steve, which always gets major points from me. I love seeing them act as a team and be so supportive of each other. And Steve got to do lots of hero work! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The only thing that bothered me was that the Sun Country (Asian) characters were literally yellow in the final issue. That is…really icky and not an okay way to portray Asian people. It’s weird because in the 3rd issue they didn’t appear that way but in the 4th issue they did - and the issues had the same colorist, I checked.

Issue 3:

Issue 4:

This is honestly the kind of thing that really turns me off from Golden Age stories (and this wasn’t even the actual Golden Age - it was the 80’s!). Which is too bad because I know those stories are full of amazing ideas and characters. I want to delve deeper into them, but it’s hard for me to turn off the automatic cringe response.

8 Likes

:rofl:

She’s wonderful. My favorite film Etta line is “Really? Specs? And suddenly she’s not the most beautiful woman you’ve ever seen?”

Etta knows what’s up. :joy:

8 Likes

Oh I would assume so. Considering he predates Spider-man by a good decade.
Just you wait until I get to Doctor Psycho and his unfortunate wife Jean Grey

Yeah, thats admittedly a big issue with alot of golden age stuff. I learned to kinda glaze over the art issues, though its alot iffier when its a writing issue. I confess I had actually forgotten that the final issue did that. Unfortunatly the color scheme used in that issue is the same as back in the golden age. Which is odd because the glowing eye thing is unique to Legend of Wonder Woman.

A bit tangentially, it really impresses me how a writer like Gene Luen Yang can take alot of these golden age iffyness and fix alot of the issues which were heavily prevalent in them.

7 Likes

He’s great! They’re doing a spotlight on him over at the DC History Club this month:

On a positive note about the Legend of Wonder Woman series, I cannot get enough of these two cuties:

:cupid: :00_wonder_woman_stars:

9 Likes

Name: Arch
First Appearance: Wonder Woman 149 (1999)
Creators: Eric Luke and Rick Burchett
Abilities: Brilliant mind for strategy and trickery. Whip haver.

Backstory: One of the children created wholly of Chronus in the modern day in order to have his revenge upon the Olympian gods and aid him in his efforts to conquer the universe.

Arch is above all the cleverest of Chronus’ new children. The very embodiment of strategy and trickery, he claimed to have a mind which flowed like quicksilver and was the wisest of the wise.

The very nature of his existence being that of a great thinker, he was physically the weakest and smallest of these creatures created for Chronus’s vengeance. Instead serving the role of actually plotting and planning. A feat beyond most of his brethren.

Additional Images

arch 5
arch 6

8 Likes

Name: Steve Trevor
First Appearance: All Star Comics #8 (1941)
Creators: William Marston and H.G Peter
Abilities: Fluent in multiple languages. Skilled pilot. Talented in espionage. Trained in all manner of military situations. Gun haver. Charming. The authority of a high ranking military official.

Backstory: Golden age Steve Trevor was a youth who grew up on the East coast of the United States. Getting a job at a young age serving aboard passenger ships traveling across the Atlantic ocean, Steve over the years would learn numerous languages for the job.

Joining the military, Steve Trevor seemingly bounced between every branch of military service and made friends with a good chunk of those in the service before in the end landing in Army Intelligence.

With his broad background including aviation, a fluency in German, and his general appearance of being a white guy with blond hair and blue eyes, Steve made for an ideal spy to infiltrate the nazis and discover their secrets.

Which is how Steve in making his escape, would wind up crashing on Paradise Island. Dying for the first time before being brought back by Diana, Steve would fall madly in love with her, swearing his heart to Diana and no other.

A feminist who was good with children. Enjoying cooking and housework as a hobby. The sort to regularly take the woman he loves out dancing or to dinner or to enjoy a cozy picnic out in the wild.

Joining her on her adventures while also doing his part to aid his country through his role as an army intelligence operative, Steve would rise in the ranks, from lieutenant to major.

After a number of other deaths, he would be brought back to life in the late 60s by Aphrodite. Under a new name, Steve would join the ranks of ‘Spy on Spy’ a covert ops organization whose job it was to keep track of the many many many many other spy organizations in the world.

And after that death, Steve would be replaced by an alternate earth counterpart of himself who would crash on Paradise Island for the first time, unaware that he pierced the veil between realities. His memories altered by divine intervention to help him adapt to this new world. With Steve soon working under Phlip Darnell out of the Pentagon alongside fellow agent Diana Prince.

Steve would in the end happily fall in love with Diana and marry her, happy to be by her side.

Post crisis Steve Trevor would be in his late 50s when crashing on Themyscira. Coming from a career military family, his mother Diana Rockwell Trevor had crashed on the island herself decades prior and perished aiding them in sealing Dooms Doorway. With Steve being raised by his aunt and uncle Edna and Everett Aanderson.

A dove at heart, this iteration of Steve was a military man for the sake of averting war after his experiences in the Vietnam war as a young recruit into the military made him realize that any image he had of military life being one of glory and nobility being harshly shattered. Especially when he saw men on his own side commiting unspeakable atrocities which those higher in command would commend them for.

Derided by the more maliciously minded and sadistic individuals within the air force, Steve would spend decades on desk duty in a base out of Concord Massachusus. Voicing his support of peace and reconciliation which earned him much ire.

After fate would have him cross paths with Diana, his life would become much more active. With him becoming involved in daring military operations, leaving the military to run a flight school, being recruited as an aide for the secretary of defense, and becoming the director of the head of the Department of Metahuman Affairs.

He would marry Etta Candy in this iteration of his life.

In new 52, Steve would become an agent for ARGUS, appointed Wonder Womans handler and later working under Etta Candy. He would eventually go on to work for Checkmate as one of its highest ranking operatives.

Additional Images

steve trevor 3
steve 11

steve trevor 14

8 Likes

And in Rebirth, Steve is now somehow tied to both ARGUS and Checkmate (frankly I feel like his character background is a mess of inconsistencies in the last few years) - but as originally written by Greg Rucka, he was a Navy SEAL who crashed on a covert mission as opposed to an Air Force pilot.

Reasons Steve Trevor is the best male comic character ever (yes, I said it):

Great sense of humor

Good in a crisis

Romantic

Did I mention gorgeous?

Yes, folks, this is true heroism right here. These are his superpowers and this is the hill I will die on. :face_holding_back_tears:

10 Likes

I was focusing on the comics here, but I’d be remiss to not mention the great work of Mr Pine (paging @Razzzcat):

9 Likes

Steve is definitely my favorite, as my DCUI name might suggest. I think the thing I like most about his dynamic with Diana is that he is not jealous or emasculated by the fact he is completely out-powered by her. How many men could not only handle that, but be really proud of her for being the stronger one?

If there is a situation that is in his realm he is ready to handle it, but when it comes to Superhero heavy lifting he is fine running backup and helping civilians while Diana does her thing.

There are memes about that kind of relationship, actually.

Yeah, that’s it right there.

10 Likes

THIS. A thousand times this!!! :raised_hands:

9 Likes

Oh! This I actually know the answer to. ^.^
There was a DC event in which all of the worlds spy organizations including ARGUS got destroyed by an evil spy organization named Leviathan. (This first kicked off at the start of Orlandos second run on Wonder Woman and was supposed to have been what lead to Paula Von Gunther turning villainous)

This was followed by a new group forming made up of survivors of the various spy organizations getting together to create a new version of Checkmate. With Steve being one of said founders

7 Likes

Oh, yes, I did know this - I guess what I meant was we never seem to get a concrete explanation of how Rebirth Steve went from Navy SEAL to head of ARGUS or whatever. Somewhere along the line we just were told he was there, almost like the rewrote his character mid-timeline. It feels like someone knew he was in ARGUS in New52 and decided that was how he should be in Rebirth also regardless of what came before.

I really did not care for Steve’s characterization in Leviathan and Checkmate. I kinda just think non-Wonder Woman writers should leave him alone unless they’re going to bother trying to research the character and understand how to write him. (But obviously I have Strong Opinions about Steve Trevor. :see_no_evil:)

7 Likes

Saw some curious artwork which supposedly came from an artists rejected Wonder Woman pitch some years past

7 Likes

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. ^^;
If I had to guess, I think Rucka when he was doing that Rebirth run he was trying to work with what had already been established while trying to toss out more problematic elements.
Thus all the stuff with Amazons and gods didnt happen. Meanwhile Steve was still an agent in Argus as new 52 had established, but instead of answering to Amanda Waller he had Etta Candy as his boss. Makes me wonder if it would have been something else entirely if Rucka was starting with an entirely clean slate.

I confess I kinda don’t mind how Steve was used in it as much, though purely because the artist made him look good. :sweat_smile: Though aside from being a pretty face he really wasnt used for much. Though much the same could be said of nearly all the cast…

8 Likes

No worries! I really wasn’t expressing my point very clearly in my post.

True…although I didn’t think in Rucka’s run ARGUS was ever mentioned at all. But maybe I’m wrong? I wouldn’t mind an excuse to reread, anyway. :sweat_smile:

No arguments from me there, he looked great. :joy: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I think I didn’t like that author’s dialogue style generally…and the bad guy was super annoying. I dunno, I think maybe the “spy mystery” thing just wasn’t for me.

But I still read it. And the only reason I read it was because Steve was in it. So there’s that. :rofl:

7 Likes

Oh your certainly right. At no point is it mentioned what the group is. Though Robinson brings it up in his…run? Also its referenced in that Steve Trevror oneshot that Seeley had done.

7 Likes

Yeah I guess this is what I meant…my feeling had always been that he wasn’t in ARGUS in Rebirth and then suddenly he was with later authors.

But now that you said that - maybe we were meant to assume Etta’s team, though unnamed, was ARGUS? :thinking:

Wow, I kinda feel better now if that actually all does tie together and make sense, continuity-wise. That was something that honestly really bugged me. I’ve definitely thought way too much about this whole thing. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Well whether it was initially intended or not, we had those two runs, plus Orlandos run established Etta had been a high ranking official in Argus. So regardless, the canon works.

Personally the part thats bugging me is the question of whatever happened to Ettas non profit organization from Orlandos run

7 Likes