Amazon Headquarters

Huh! Neat!

Out of curiosity, what are peoples reactions to that ‘Paradise lost’ Amazon prequel show thats been announced to take place before Diana was born?

4 Likes

To be honest, I’m more worried about Gal Gadot possibly no longer playing Wonder Woman in James Gunn’s new DCU than anything else. I hope she stays for many more years and many more WW movies.

As far as Paradise Lost goes, I think it’s a neat concept! Sort of like Wonder Woman’s equivalent to Smallville or Gotham. Only thing I’m iffy about is that it’s compared to Game of Thrones. I adore GoT (well, the first six seasons anyway) but a Themyscira show should not be backstab-y and ultra-cynical. Political intrigue and ton of lore sounds great, but I don’t want the Wonder Woman franchise to be retroactively built on a cynical foundation. If Paradise Lost keeps at least a fundamental idealism it should be good. I also hope to see Connie Nielson and Robin Wright as Hippolyta and Antiope. They might even find room for Gal Gadot to show up in the pilot or finale as Diana to bookend it.

4 Likes

I had a feeling she could pull that off, especially since we’ve already saw her with a mohawk in Batman: Last Knight On Earth.

I’m hopeful for it – I’m intrigued, but it’s hard to be hyped until I get some more definitive info about who’s writing it, the stars, etc.

As for keeping Gal…I hope we do, but if Gunn and co decide a different actress is necessary or if Gal decides she’s not into it anymore, I’ll give the new girl a shot. I mean, I’ve already lost one of my favorite live-action Batman and Superman in Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill, so…

5 Likes

I confess, I don’t give Gadot good odds. Considering his Gunnverse is going to pick out a new Batman despite us just getting a new Batman just last year in ‘The Batman’ and how seemingly has a wildly different interpretation in mind for everyone, I expect it to be someone else entirely.

Whether what Gunn has planned though will be good or bad…Hard to say. I personally loathe Game of Thrones. Particularly how in vogue its been to crib off of it for fantasy works. About all we know is that this ‘Paradise Lost’ TV show will be laying down the foundation for how the Amazons will be envisioned in this new take and through that lense, Wonder Woman.

This is really the big question. We could get a movie interpretation that reclaims the clay origin. We could get some terrible Azzarello murderzon Amazons interpretation. We could suddenly see Kelly Sue Deconnick announced as writer. Alot of unknowns with this and Gunns been alot more hush on his opinions on Wonder Woman than he has any of the other projects. Just constantly saying ‘like Westeros. Like game of thrones.’ regarding the tv show prequel and nothing about Wonder Woman herself.

The Gizmodo interview also gave me some concern though I confess.

“Who is helping you build this overarching saga?
Gunn: Tom King has been my partner throughout all of this. He was giving me answers to ■■■■ before I took the job. So me, him, Christal Henry who worked on Watchmen and is doing Waller, Christina Hodson who wrote The Flash. Drew Goddard, who you guys probably know. Jeremy Slater, who just did Moon Knight. That group of people we’ve been meeting with and, you know, putting all of this together.”

Tom King being named as one of the primary minds behind this…Im assuming we can expect every movie to have at least one character commit suicide

5 Likes

Welcome back, @nuuninuunani! It’s good to hear from you again! :blush:

I’m going to refrain from speculating about the future of Wonder Woman in the DCEU until we know more, since frankly a Game of Thrones-style Amazon show combined with the thought of Gal Gadot leaving is making me sick to my stomach. :pensive:

I always get major Amazon vibes from the Dora Milaje in Black Panther, so I am here for this. :star_struck:

7 Likes

Heads up, @WonderSquadron! Our March Book Club reading is here. Please join us for some Irish mythology and a Wonder Woman/Batman team-up! :00_wonder_woman_gold: :batman:

11 Likes

Oh thats an interesting pick ^^
I recall the origin of its creation rather annoying me back in the day

Like, originally Brave and the Bold by Liam Sharp was pitched as a Wonder Woman miniseries and meant to be about Diana going into this adventure with Celtic mythology.

Editorial denied this, instead saying it would be a workable idea if it was instead about Batman.

And thus a revised script came back from the writer with Batman in the lead and Wonder Woman guest starring which got approved, giving us the comic we have today

5 Likes

Interesting, I hadn’t heard of that. Is there a source for this?

Anyway, here’s some big news that dropped today – starting in July, Wonder Woman will be getting a relaunched book written by Tom King with art by Daniel Sampere.

After a mysterious Amazonian is accused of mass murder, the U.S. Congress passes The Amazon Safety Act, barring all Amazons from American soil. To carry out its new law, the government sets up the Amazon Extradition Entity (AXE) task force to remove those who don’t comply by any means necessary. In her search for the truth behind the killing, Wonder Woman now finds herself an outlaw in the world she once swore to protect. The action-packed Wonder Woman #1 will be available at local comic shops in July, and Wonder Woman #800 features a prelude to the story.

Source:

6 Likes

I hadn’t thought at the time to save the link…It was an interview by the creator about the run after the fact (I think it was actually about a different book, but she was asked questions about other works she did?) She described the whole thing fairly charitably as I recall.

4 Likes

Happy Wednesday, Wonder Squadron! :wave:

I couldn’t help but think of y’all when I was diving into this earlier — this is, of course, a huge W for all WW lovers!

7 Likes

So amazing! I hope to see it in person some day. :star_struck:

Thanks for sharing it here, @staticshocks! :pray:

6 Likes

I love it! :grin: It’s great to see that Patty Jenkins was at the unveiling too. Here’s hoping she directs Wonder Woman’s new DCU solo movies. She and Gal Gadot are irreplaceable!

5 Likes

I feel like in general we are going through a pretty hefty transition period.
Sure we have the current run still going with a big event that had been teased since the Wonder Girl run with an event that in hinsight, is meant to capitalize on the ‘Shazam! Furry of the gods’ movie and the run doesn’t officially end until June.

However between us transitioning from one of the longest writer runs in recent memory to another writer.
And the cinematic Wonder stuff currently going through some sort of upheaval which could take years before we see the impact.

It’ll be interesting to see what the landscape is like in a year

4 Likes

I am unsure how to post about this while avoiding spoilers since I’m not sure if…this is actually a spoiler? It seems like the marketing leaked it, but I went to see a certain movie today for a very specific reason and…if you don’t know from that maybe don’t click? :sweat_smile:

Summary

I know I’m a little disconnected from social media and I haven’t been around as much as I like lately…but basically last night I saw an action figure of all things, that alerted me that I needed to get to the theatre to see Shazam: Fury of the Gods.

And I’m off work right now, so today that is exactly what I did.

I should add that, although normally I am incredibly spoiler averse, in this instance I looked up specifics to find out if this would be worth my time and money. So I found out how the movie was going to end, but also that I would probably be pretty happy with what I was going to see.

To stop beating around the bush, Diana does appear in the new Shazam movie. Which definitely felt like a great payoff after all the Wonder Woman references and Greek mythology elements throughout the movie. I did enjoy the rest of the movie (more than the first one, I think), but obviously this was my reason to see it. And honestly, it was worth it to me personally.

I’d be lying if I said a big part of my motivation wasn’t that I’m afraid this will be my last chance to see Gal Gadot in the role on the big screen. I hate the thought of that, and I don’t want it to be true…but I also didn’t want to miss my chance. And really, the way her presence commands that whole scene is reason enough that a recasting is foolish. I hope the higher-ups realize that before making their decision.

Anyone else seen it and have thoughts?

9 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree. I loved the movie on its own merits but seeing Gal Gadot show up again the way she did made me enjoy it even more. I sincerely hope that Wonder Woman is not recast in the new DCU. Gal Gadot is irreplaceable and even with Batman and Superman getting recast she should stay as Wonder Woman for the long run. I’ve been reading DC’s comics and Wonder Woman’s stories in particular for ages and Gal simply embodies Wonder Woman in every sense. Her status in the new DCU is unknown for now but I think you’ll find this video and this article interesting.

7 Likes

What that article outlines would be a dream come true for me, particularly as it also refers to Chris Pine staying in as Steve Trevor. Not to mention that’s my favorite Wonder Woman run that they’re referring to. From their keyboard to the DCEU’s ears…please, please make it happen. :pray:

5 Likes

I completely agree! I spotted this article on the “James Gunn News” Instagram page, which Gunn frequently reads because he often leaves likes and comments on it. Hopefully he sees this and likes the idea of a Gal Gadot WW film based on the Rucka run! The video also feels reassuring.

Greg Rucka’s run is my favorite WW arc alongside Heart of the Amazon (which I’d also love to see as a Gal Gadot film). My dream is basically what this article outlines, plus I’d want to see Donna Troy and Cassie Sandsmark set up for sequels so that we can get the three of them in their eagle armors in live-action someday!

4 Likes

:raised_hands: :star_struck: :00_wonder_woman_gold:

4 Likes

:00_wonder_woman_gold: :0_wonder_woman:

7 Likes

I saw the movie this past weekend – enjoyed it overall, BTW – as for the appearance of a certain character…

Overall I liked it. Part of me kind of wishes she was involved in it more, like she could have played some role in the third act, but I think that probably would have done more to steal Billy and the Shazamily’s thunder. You can REALLY tell that Gal was not in the scene with them, I kind of wish there was some more interactions, but I get why that wasn’t possible.

I also loved how “both” times we see Wonder Woman, it kind of pokes fun at the headless Superman cameo from the first movie. The dream sequence with Billy dreaming of Diana was great, and I swear that in Gal’s scene they stop at her neck during that pan-up shot for just a second before finishing, just to mess with the audience.

If that’s the last we see of that character, at least it’s a nice note to end on.

THAT SAID…I think we are going to see her in another movie this year, and that’s…The Flash.

I’ll keep it in spoiler tags in case people don’t want to see it, but In a podcast series called Smartless, Ben Affleck spoiled that there is a scene between him and Wonder Woman in The Flash. There’s also been some WW Funko Pops for the movie as well.

As for Gal returning in the DCU…I would be happy if she does, she’s been great at the role so far – like, my opinion on '84 has soured some since I first watched it, but she’s far from the worst thing about the movie. That said, if they do decide on another actor for Diana, I’m going to keep an open mind and hope she does something great with the role.

7 Likes