Amazo Makes No Sense to Me

How on earth can a man-built robot replicate alien technology orders of magnitude more advanced than itself?

3 Likes

My favorite attempt at an answer was Meltzer’s, and that Amazo basically has Parasite DNA.

2 Likes

Here’s my thing… it’s a world where you have alien space cops with rings that can come up with anything by will power, an ancient amazonian society surviving through the ages, a martian coming to Earth and can change shape…but a robot with duplicating abilities is where we draw the line?

I guess it’s all about suspension of disbelief lol

5 Likes

The silver age in general is pretty bad at suspension of disbelief IMO.

3 Likes
1 Like

It was the 60’s, so it was a mix of “we’re writing these characters for children, they don’t have to make sense” and “after we land on the moon, we’ll colonize it in a few years, because technology is magic”.

2 Likes

The thing is though that, in this comic, Amazo explicitly operates by “stealing” the JLA’s powers just like Parasite. But Hal Jordan doesn’t have any powers, the power ring is equipment (him using Wonder Woman’s powers is only represented by replicating her lasso as well), and I’m convinced the power ring should be too alien for him to replicate perfectly the way he does. To me, this is like an AK-47 copying a black hole inducer.

1 Like

Amazo is replicating Hal’s ability to wield the power ring?

1 Like

Whenever you think that way just….

6 Likes

Morrison touched on this in his JLA run, when they fought the JLA Revenge Squad, hard light holograms controlled by Lex Luthors Injustice Gang.

1 Like

Hal still has his power ring, Amazo just casually duplicates alien tech so advanced it may as well be magic.

1 Like