Am I the only one who never liked Batman?

I never quite understood his appeal. The guy is boring as heck. He has no superpowers except for plot armor. I know this is a controversial take but the Bat-Family is lame except for Damian and Jason.

3 Likes

How dare you insult my Barbara Gordon and Kate Kane like that…

BACK TO ARKHAM WITH YOU!!

6 Likes

It is possible… Orphan is standing behind you. No sudden moves…

4 Likes

On a cold Gotham night,

Freezing rain falls upon the rooftops of the Downtown prospect.

Batgirl: “I don’t understand Bruce… Why don’t they like us?”

Batman “Because we’re different Barbara, because we’re good.”

8 Likes

You tryin to start a fight bro? Nobody talks about the Bat like that around here. Ain’t got no supa powers? He got the power to bust you up side yo head if you keep talkin that junk.

3 Likes

I was just a tad obsessed with the Shadow in my teen years so I got to stay on Team Bat I suppose.

I will confess I enjoy him more when he’s part of a team and I enjoy team books usually more than individual character books.

My shelves are full of Batman books and I recently even picked up “Batman Cover to Cover” hardcover book over at Five Below department store. Got to say its gorgeous and fun!

3 Likes

Here are a few reasons why I like Batman:
-Along with Supes he’s one of the most developed characters ever. 80 years of different writers have written Batman stories, and each one of them has a different take on the character. Batman is more of an archetype than a character.
-All of Batman’s villains are all foils of Batman’s different sides. Every villain challenges Batman in a new way. Joker stories often are very different from Riddler stories, which are different from Scarecrow stories. This is really interesting when different villains appear in the same book.
-Batman’s lack of super powers makes him more grounded in reality. Gotham is a super dark place, and it just wouldn’t be the same if Batman could blow things up with his mind.

• Batman has really interesting and complex relationships with Alfred, and other members of the bat-family.

These are just a few of the top reasons I like Batman, but I can totally understand if you are still not convinced—Batman isn’t for everybody, after all. Just try to keep an open mind, you’re missing out on one of the most complex and interesting characters in not just in comic books, but in all of literary history :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Batman has been a great character as he has born this wonderful world that is Gotham.

Personally I am over him though for two reasons.

1. He is overused.
  2. He sells too well, which has DC putting him outside of his element. Batman in the Justice League doesn’t work for me. His plot armor gets so hard that I can’t even. Batman is a huge part of why I don’t pull Justice League anymore. Keep him with Gotham villains and don’t put him in everything and I will like him more.
4 Likes

Once upon a time, I also stopped liking Batman because he had no superpowers.

It was only as I got older that I realized that the fact that Batman has no superpowers is what makes him extraordinary. He’s a rich guy and could just live a normal life, but instead he chooses to train himself to combat evil and protect the citizens of Gotham. He knows that he could get injured or killed yet he is willing to sacrifice himself to defend others and to prevent someone else from having to endure the tragedy that he has lived through.

1 Like

@Ragdollrebel it’s his opinion lmao why u mad

1 Like

@foxybridges I’m not mad it was just a bit. I was trying to sound like a Gotham city street tough goon, I don’t really care that much, like him don’t like him there’s plenty of characters for everybody to like and dislike
I will say that somebody brought up a great point earlier about him being over used. Batman on his own in Gotham that’s magic but sometimes in Justice league his characterization feels out of place, especially anything that has to do with space.

2 Likes

I am not fond of the modern version of Batman, which is much darker, and more brutal, than the Batman of my youth. Still, I do not hate Batman, and I do like most of the rest of the Batman Family more than I like Batman… except for Damien and Red Hood. They are, in my opinion, worse than Batman.

It is interesting to see who likes who though, and see that I seem to be in the minority with my Batman views. The world would be a mighty boring place if we were all the same though. :wink:

MACJR

2 Likes

Probably.

2 Likes

I don’t hate Bats, I feel the same way for him that I do with Wolverine; there are plenty of great stories featuring the character, but when the publisher throws said character into EVERY SINGLE BOOK THEY CAN THINK OF. On his own, defending Gotham, he makes sense. But when you throw him onto 19 different teams at once, there’s no way it’s justifiable. He literally has no time for sleeping or keeping up his secret identity when he’s CONSTANTLY working on the most high-profile events at the same time. He feels like a crutch for the company to sell titles they have no faith in.

1 Like

Yes, yes you are.

7 Likes

I love Bats but he can become very overrated at times.

3 Likes

I think that Bats by himself is okay for some stories but its really the batfamily that keep people around. I think that Bob Kane and Bill Finger recognized that early on with the character and created Dick in 1940. Think about it, Wonder Woman and Superman was able to hold their own comic and sell for decades before getting sidekicks. Batman got Robin a year after his debut. It was probably due to audience getting bored of Bats compared to Superman so they had to make something fresh. For all we know, Batman may not be around today if it wasn’t for that move.

1 Like

I politely disagree with the whole original post. Damian is by far the worse of the bat family to me.

7 Likes

I see what you mean @Flamebird23. Batman is totally defined by his relationships to other characters. That being said, his relationships with his villains are just as interesting as every one in the bat-family. Batman can be a solo character just as good as Superman and Wonder Woman for that exact reason. Every villain brings out a different side to Batman, as does every sidekick and partner. So, you’re right in that Batman’s connections to other characters have sustained him for 80 years, but it’s more than just Dick that brings out a different side to him.

3 Likes

I think that he’s oversaturated and that it can be hard to see what makes a character great when you feel like they’re shoved down your throat every time you turn your head. But I do still personally love Batman, and I always have. It helps that I was indoctrinated from infanthood by BTAS lol :joy:

2 Likes