All Things Flash!

I was broke in 2000. My friend was a publisher and I got to go in as his guest. The panel just happened to be going on when I was there. Total synchronicity! The ashcans were free at the DC booth. All the stars were in alignment for me that day! I was literally penniless walking in and walked out having met Mark and had his autograph!

4 Likes

That’s amazing :grin:

2 Likes

The Silver Age! Love it! It is the primary reason I am a Flash Fan! I have a few Golden Age as well. But no doubt the Silver Age is what hooked me on the Flash. Like you, I bought my first Flash comic off those spinner racks in the early 1970’s. A few years later at an antique show I found a Golden Age #39. He looked different? That was the first time I think I realized what a history this character had. From then on I started tracking down back issues. I loved the Silver Age stories…still do! John Broome/Carmine Infantino…masters! I’ve almost completed the run now '59-'85. This is my 3rd attempt at completing the run. I was forced to sell the first 2 collections. I like to think Flash came to my rescue, twice! I sometimes wonder what John and Carmine would do with Flash today? No real restraints and the freedom to tell more adult stories? John would have loved that! And Carmine, well Carmine was a master artist but I cant seem to envision how his style would transfer over to the new digital art?

4 Likes

I honestly had no connection to the Flash until the 1990 series with John Wesley Shipp. I mean, I grew up watching the Super Friends in the 70s and early 80s but outside of the Big three, I hardly paid attention to any of the others. After the 90’s series wrapped, I started reading Flash very slowly. First the Armageddon 2001 Annual, then the Original Gorilla Warfare (crossover with Green Lantern) and then just thoughtlessly I started reading more. After “The Return of Barry Allen” I was two things. One, A general All-things Flash Fan and (because of when I jumped in…) a Full-on Wally West fan!
As I collected Wally’s run I also by virtue of the Archives Series had developed a considerable respect for Barry Allen. However, Barry’s adventures were a bit harder to come by. Oh there were the archives and greatest stories ever told books. But most of the comic shops I visited had only the tail end of Barry’s career (Which was dominated by the trial) So I never felt the attachment to Barry the way others had.

5 Likes

Barry Allen is my favorite Flash :flash_hv_5:, thou i do like wally west and jay Garrick too

4 Likes

Cool! :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain: :cloud_with_lightning: :flash_hv_1: :flash_hv_2: :flash_hv_3: :flash_hv_5:

3 Likes

Thank you!

4 Likes

i have been reading :flash_hv_1: since #70 (thou i did read the button, dark nights metal, and heroes in crisis tie-ins) and i mostly enjoy it

3 Likes

Cool cool cool, out of those three, I believe I only read the button.

3 Likes

My latest Silver Age Flash!

2 Likes

I’m reading through EM’s chronological appearances, and so that of course includes some early issues of Barry’s first series, and they’re not bad lol. Like any silver age book, I find it interesting to see how the character and the industry was back then compared to now :grin:

2 Likes

Many comic book script writers back then were struggling fiction writers. Getting a job in comics helped them pay the bills. Many were actually ashamed and took on pen names most famously Stan Lee. But even the great Flash author John Broome used a pen name at first, John Osgood when he started in the 1940’s. They had to write for a child audience. But you can see in the early Silver Age Flash stories how John added little bits here and there. He loved SiFi and he really paved the way for the Silver Age adding those more adult SiFi themes to super heroes in the late 1950’s. It would be nice to see how he would write a Flash story today, given the opportunity and the freedom.

2 Likes

6 new back issues arrived today! Less than 20 issues to go Flash Fans to complete the entire Silver/Bronze Age run from 1959-1985!

2 Likes

I’ve just read up to 757 so I’m not quite there yet…Hoping for an amazing conclusion/showdown…? Do you know who’s going to take over the writing after this? I too, started reading about 1973ish. But I stopped for a long while. I always return to the classics by John Broome and I do enjoy rereading some of the Carey Bates issues. This new Barry Allen Flash is different, but I am still enjoying it. Anyone else?

3 Likes

For those of you that read during the sliver age, what story arcs stand out as exceptional?

3 Likes

Comics were written differently back then. The stories almost always ended on the last page of the book. No too many serial types that arched over several books like we have now. John Broome did create this kind of ongoing concept of the hero’s villains teaming up against the Flash. The Rogues as they were called and mentioned above, in issues like #140 and again in #166 when Cpt. Cold and Heatwave team up are classics. #155 is where I believe they first all teamed up together to battle the Flash. All good stories! It’s a concept that caught on and still endures today. Certainly #123 is a major story for all of comics, introducing the concept of a multiverse! Happy hunting and lets see if they are willing to digitize any of the above mentioned comics. Lets drop them a line in the suggestion box eh? They are available in omnibus volumes. And of course in original form from various dealers, but they can be a bit pricey, especially that #123! :flash_hv_1:

For : FlashLegacy

2 Likes

Hey, I think everyone can relate to reading a title they love but they just don’t love the current assigned writer. Which brings me to…Do we know who’s going to write Flash next? :flash_hv_1:

3 Likes

Here’s that #155 mentioned earlier, for those that are curious:

3 Likes

The famous #123!

4 Likes

Personally, I loved the Gorilla Grodd stories! Here’s my copy of #127

6 Likes