All Things Flash!

Thanks so much, @flashlites and @CaptainYesterday ! A fun scavenger hunt!

3 Likes

I’m far, far behind on the Flash fam storylines (slow reader), but I’m intensely curious – who is the first Flash pictured in the line here? The one with the jacket?

3 Likes

Solicits for April 2023 are out, and it looks like we’re going to get an additional issue in One Minute War, so seven issues for this arc, and also two issues in April too! Jeremy Adams said he doesn’t know if they’re planning to continue the double ship past it, though. Very silly, DC. Let your writers know the plan!

3 Likes

That’s Iris West II Wally’s Daughter from Earth 22 (Kingdom Come/The Kingdom)

3 Likes

They either need to continue double-shipping each month, or else launch a new SPEED FORCE monthly in the same new format as ACTION COMICS, with 3 stories per issue spotlighting other characters in the Flash family (Barry, Jay, Impulse, Wallace, the kids, etc.)

4 Likes

That’s a BRILLIANT idea! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When I think of Flash comics, I think of Mark Waid’s run. I remember how special his run was, making Wally important, but also highlight the Flash family. Chain Lightning and the Dark Flash saga will always be my favorite stories of his, because those were the ones I was so invested in when I started picking them up. I also have to give credit to The Life Story of The Flash. What an amazing comic that was. It was so simple, but so amazing.

I’ll never forget the reveal of The Dark Flash and how it got my mind racing. Then Waid explained how this was possible and the ramifications. I won’t spoil it if you haven’t read it, but I liked the ending Waid gave him.

Yes, the amazing Geoff Johns run followed shortly after and I really enjoyed those stories, but I have a special place in my heart for Waid’s Flash.

3 Likes

I agree, Waid’s run is my go-to as well!

3 Likes

@flashlites: Here are three from that era that you must read.
Flash #54 “Nobody Dies!”
Flash Issues #‘s 62-65 "Born to Run!’
And of course, Flash #'s 74-79 “The Return of Barry Allen!”
You will thank me!

4 Likes

I find “Mike’s Amazing World of Comics” an invaluable historic resource.There are so many ways to sort though the thousands of entries. My favorite is the “Newsstand”.

2 Likes

In addition to the ones you mentioned, I also loved many other Mark Waid gems from his FLASH run, including “Terminal Velocity”, which culminated in issue 100 after starting in issue 95.

And the Geoff Johns run is fantastic, too, but especially his “Blitz” storyline with Zoom from 197-200.

4 Likes

Has anyone checked out Aquaman/The Flash: Voidsong? I’m checking out on DCUI, and it’s pretty fun, though the art feels a tad bit underbaked.

3 Likes

I have. Interesting team up, although I recall Arthur being a jerk for most of it? It’s been a while.

3 Likes

The characters were all a bit of making bad decisions throughout, but it was very interesting. I’m kinda amused at two Flash alien invasion stories, with One Minute War currently.

2 Likes

I enjoyed Voidsong! Thanks for mentioning it. It was a cool team up!

2 Likes

Do you think it’ll be one of those tales that lasts?

2 Likes

Maybe? As a Flash fan I will remember it for a long time, I believe Aquaman fans will enjoy it too. It was a short but intense story- maybe it could have been stretched out a bit? It did seem a bit rushed. What did you think?

2 Likes

I dunno if I’d say it felt rushed - it’s about six or 7 issues worth of content. I think the aliens weren’t SUPER well developed because of how alien they were. I appreciated the worldbuilding in that aspect, even though it does make it feel less personally intense. But then, the personal intensity was coming from the marriages and the friendship between Barry and Arthur, which were pretty well done, if a bit overplayed (Lanzig and Kelly tend to write very broadly in general, so while the emotions are there, they feel a bit exaggerated, I think). But I really appreciate that DC took a chance to tell a story that isn’t usually seen! Kinda wish it could have been in continuity so other writers might connect to it and it might be more known, but it is what it is!

2 Likes

I absolutely love Barry Allen as the OG Flash,
there has been debate on who is the fastest, Barry or Wally, I am in the Barry Allen crowd.

For me he is the coolest of the speedsters.

An I am more geared to the OG super heroes than their respective hero families.

2 Likes

so…uh…wouldn’t that mean Jay Garrick is the fastest? :slight_smile:

3 Likes