all star Superman

i didn’t think that all star Superman was as good as everyone says it is can someone explain the appeal of it?

It’s inspiring, when it comes right down to it. It’s emotional, classic, and gorgeously drawn by Frank Quitely. I found myself crying at numerous points in the story, and it’s probably the best characterization of Superman in the last few decades.

4 Likes

What @Batwing said. The art is phenomenal. The actual storytelling, ie panel to panel, moment to moment, are done so effortlessly and gracefully it almost appears as though Morrison isn’t trying. As his career went on, his dialogue balloons have gotten more and more sparse, but what they leave is the pure, undistilled essence of Superman. All-Star was what made me really “get it”. Made that optimism and point of view really click for me. No shame in that it brings me to tears a few times as well. I read chapter ten on my very worst days, and draw endless inspiration from it. It’s a magical read. I would try again with more of an eye towards theme and tone, and not concentrate so much on having a plot with twists and turns that always keeps you guessing. It’s definitely the former.

3 Likes

“You’re much stronger than you think you are. Trust me.”

Excuse me while I go cry my eyes out for a bit.

3 Likes

Best Superman story ever. Morrison and Quitely are a great team.

4 Likes

Everything Batwing52 said! It might be my favorite Superman story.

1 Like