Alan Moore: The Roundtable Discussion

LOL I just noticed that piece of cake

8 Likes

Hereā€™s a great little video I just saw about Alan Moore, DC comps, and his thoughts on Darwyn Cooke:

11 Likes

Also, happy anniversary to my DC Community Joindate Twin!

9 Likes

Nice

7 Likes

Happy anniversary @HubCityQuestion!

7 Likes

Happy Anniversary

7 Likes

Happy Anniversary @HubCityQuestion

6 Likes

Thanks I forgot they gave cake

6 Likes

To you as well, what a fun 3 years it has been. Iā€™m including the two months we waited for DC Universe to open to us.

8 Likes

Happy Anniversary @Don-El

6 Likes

Thank you very much!

Things sure have changed around here. When @HubCityQuestion , I and others took a big chance and plunked down a year in advance for the new DC Universe when launched in the summer of 2018, I believe we paid $74.99 and got an extra three months. I just had yet another digital Comics platform start to collapse called Comic Blitz comic Blitz, Scribd Comics had fallen apart on me around that time, so I knew there was a risk.

Probably the biggest surprise for me in the past three years has been the very astonishing fun of being involved daily in DC Community. While I canā€™t deny Iā€™m obviously an extrovert who loves to express every little thought in his head and Iā€™m also a tangential thinker which used to drive a former manager of mods insane, itā€™s also just like the comic book store experience to chat with everybody about our common passion except itā€™s on steroids compared to a comic book shop where maybe one person will be there when you show up (and frankly the comic book shop owner usually is feigning interest in your favorite comic as you gas endlessly to them about it; nobody loves every comic book series that the typical comic book owner seems to).

I just got a reminder from Marvel Unlimited that theyā€™re about to take a few pennies less than 70 bucks for a year from me for their service of 28,000 + comics. I assume Iā€™ll no longer get a lower rate come December and Iā€™ll be slapping down 75 merrily for the digital DC Comics.

Yep we now pay more for a lot less here, but I still feel itā€™s a real value. DC Community is no longer directly attached to subscribing to DC Universe infinite, so this good experience is now free.

I was easily spending over $200 a month and even then barely scratching the surface of what I was interested in purchasing when I bought phyical comics. Now Iā€™m spending I believe $220 year for 3 unlimited services and have far more than I could ever read.

Happy anniversary indeed! Iā€™m using that extra $2200 saved a year as part of shoveling out of debt so I can retire in 2 years.

Oh I like Alan Moore. There, now I donā€™t get kicked off the board for being tangential. Sorry @msgtv lol

9 Likes

Moore on the films

6 Likes

Everyone is different, obviously, but I think The Ballad of Halo Jones is the one that could turn just about anyone into an Alan Moore fan (ā€¦Iā€™ve not had any complaints so far anyway, lol). ā€œSpace operaā€ isnā€™t a false description. Itā€™s an adventureā€”an entertaining one, and a great representation of how well he can build a world of the unimaginable, understands the complexity of human psychology, and can tell contemplative stories of the human heart, all in one. Plus the artwork is pretty great. Not a bad way to spend some time. Play it again, Yortlebluzzgubbly! :wink::purple_heart:

Ps. Depending on the person I might also add V for Vendetta. :rose:

10 Likes

Iā€™m in book two of Halo Jones, and itā€™s even better. One of Mooreā€™s strengths that it really brings out is his light comedic touch. Itā€™s not from zany antics but small human moments. Iā€™ve laughed out loud a couple of times. And, the premise of an ordinary woman in sci fi, really works well here. Completely enjoyable and recommended by me.

I also would recommend V to folks I think might be into it, though Iā€™m still yelling at V in my head.

8 Likes

9 Likes

@Razzzcat @TurokSonOfStone1950 @Don-El @DickGrayson_TheBoyFriendWonder @RexRebel @JusKris-El @Detective7 @HubCityQuestion @scoop001 @bigblock66
New question for the roundtable, check it out above. This table is really big, the far end looks kinda hazy to me.

8 Likes

@D4RK5TARZ @MiscellaneousSoup @CaptainYesterday @Lincolnfan78 @SteveTrevor2.0 @capo-manger @Vroom @Jay_Kay @LaserPuff @NUEXGUY

New Question above, I think the roundtable is now larger than the audience.

11 Likes

@Green.Lantern @discordia57 @TheSandmanofGotham @Clonegeek18 @TheRealDetectiveChimp

New question above, remember to mute your mic when not talking

9 Likes

Before I end up heaping more praise on Moore Iā€™ll talk about a couple of his go to moves, that get way overused. One is a bigger fault than the other.
First, if you enjoyed Abby Arcaneā€™s drug fueled trip through the world as Swamp Thing perceives it, youā€™re in luck because he will use that device again and again. Homemade LSD in V for Vendetta, an exploration of magic in Promethea thatā€™s just another stand-in for a drug trip and if memory serves thereā€™s some serious tripping going on in League of Extraordinary. The idea of uncovering some great cosmic truth by ā€œdropping out and turning onā€ is just tired. Iā€™ve been told the great secrets uncovered generally involve how tasty Doritos are or how weird your hand looks. It works well enough at times but Moore goes to that well too many times.
The example from Promethea as highlights another reoccurring act that Moore uses, and itā€™s to me a far more serious flaw. That is young, sometimes very young, women having sex with old, and sometimes really old, men. Itā€™s in the League, itā€™s in V, and in the worst example Iā€™ve read itā€™s in Promethea. In that case, Promethea aka Sophie Bangs who is a teenager agrees to have sex with a very old Faust to learn the secrets of magic. Sorry, thatā€™s gross in more than one way.. I understand its in some of his stuff I havenā€™t read. Old dude - young woman is a terrible cliche in films and tv, Moore should be better than that.

12 Likes

Hmmā€¦world creating strength. Weaknessā€¦maybe going too far out, for critics. I love it!!!

7 Likes