After your 1 year (or 14 month) subscription ends, will you go another year or month to month?

I’ve already cancelled. They don’t give refunds, so my sub goes through 12/18.

I may occasionally sign up for a single month here or there, but I’m not getting my money’s worth. Its disappointing to me as one of the original subscribers (1 year + the extra 3 months for signup before DCU opened its doors) to do this. I so wanted this to be a fun, positive experience. It hasn’t.

I joined for 2 reasons: community and comics. Community went by the wayside when mods began encouraging regular members to “moderate” other members. And now it appears that is going to be a staple in Community 2.0. Not for me. I refuse to participate in a system where another member, likely less senior and paying the same as me, is given the right to moderate my activities in even the smallest amount.

So community is gone.

The comic selection is great. No denying that. But functionality is light years behind Comixology and MCU. I also have come to realize that with my current collection of digital comics and memberships to CU & MCU, I use DCU less often than I expected.

So comics isn’t worth it right now.

Not interested in the video section, which I realize is the main point of many people’s reason for being in DCU. I am not fond of the cheap way that DC animates and already own most of the live action stuff that interests me. I do like Titans and am looking forward to Harley, but Wife and I binge watch so I can catch what we want during a month signup.

So now waiting for the inevitable juvenile comments that I’ve seen the predictable few use everytime someone mentions that they are leaving. So when they pop up, those people are also among the reasons I am cancelling.

I soooo wanted this place to work. Its great for many. Not so for me.

3 Likes

@LonelyLobo What do you mean let people moderate others? I know something like that is planned for 2.0 (which I’m also worried about but I’m sure the professional mods know what they’re doing with it), but how is it like that now?

2 Likes

I was another who got the 15 month special, which like all of then expires Dec. 15. I’ll definitely renew, but it may just be month to month for a couple of months, just to get the renewal date away from the holidays and all the expenses December brings.

1 Like

@markhb That’s actually really smart. Maybe I’ll do that too.

1 Like

@Awesome _Squid

I won’t go into details, but it happened to me. Its a long story and without full details makes little sense. I’m not going to call out individuals because that’s not the way I do things. But someone told me to quit posting, even though I was respectfully posting, and when I told that someone that they should not try to moderate me, they started a second thread asking if they were wrong. Most of the replies from fellow members were that they were wrong to have done so. But then a mod chimed in to say that they should do such. They got mod stamp of approval to moderate fellow members.

I’ve seen other instances and the 2.0 direction tells me that this is not just a misunderstanding, but an intentional direction of the moderating aspect of this community.

2 Likes

@LonelyLobo That certainly is an uncomfortable position to be in. But yeah the description of 2.0 makes it seem like it’s the intentional direction. However, maybe having a more structured approach to how users moderating each other works as proposed in the description of 2.0 will make it less chaotic and a better system. Right now it just sort of happens sometimes. With 2.0, it sounds like only people who have proven their trustworthiness will have slightly more power, and it’s possible for them to lose that power if they betray that trust. I don’t know. We’ll just have to wait and see. I’m not typically optimistic, but I don’t see how 2.0 will make the problem worse. Community members moderating each other will still be present, but like you said it’s already present, so adding structure to it in 2.0 instead of letting it be unstructured can’t hurt, right?

2 Likes

@abfgmsw

What I have found positive is the Watchtower section and the ability to report things in the support area. That’s about it.

Having read your post above, I can kind of feel a kinship of sorts to your experience here. There is a very noticeable clique that tends to communicate with each other and “ignore” outsiders. That is likely not intentional as these same people have an additional outside presence and know each other. That outside presence is not bad, but the way it manifests itself internally here creates situations like yours. That same clique will most likely be the ones given the additional ability to moderate their little fiefdoms.

I rarely, rarely post here anymore for the reason I’ve already expressed and these posts only because of the topic. But I’ve read your posts and nothing that you say or do is responsible for lack of response to them. Its just the nature of the beast that is the DCU community.

Don’t feel bad about it. It isn’t you.

2 Likes

I have no friends in real life!

sobs in corner

1 Like

I think the clique thing happens because the community is so small. Almost nobody uses it regularly, so the people that do tend to see each other a lot. And that leads to relationships and inside jokes that carry between threads. It’s not impossible for people to break in; I’ve seen them do it before. But I do get what you’re talking about.

1 Like

I will not renew.

1 Like

@LonelyLobo
@abfgmsw

Your thoughts resonate with me.

Like Lobo, I fear the pseudo Mods, as well as invasions to my privacy like Direct Messages coming in Community 2.0.

But sometimes I feel like a pseud mod myself.

I don’t like a member complaining in General instead of Support and not reporting the problem to Tech Support.

So if I can replicate the problem I report it to Tech Support and then to Support with ticket number.

So far three tickets remain open.

One is important, the most recent Outsiders episodes are not listed in Young Justice at least on some devices.

Probably Tech Support is too involved with the coming Community 2.0 to solve non obvious problems right now.

I also dont like questions not being answered.

if it is a question that Applejack answered in Office Hours, I find the response, take a snapshot, convert to text and then paste the answer.

if it is comic book focused, I wait a bit but am compelled to answer. My response is too long and no other members answer, nor does the Original Poster thank me so I feel I failed and killed another thread.

I often don’t think when I add a post to a thread. I forget about Keeping to the Topic and vere off, answering the question too broadly.

I have had three posts deleted this week, which disturbed me greatly, since I was clueless.

One poster had talked about the Movie Dogma and I explained a concept in that movie that most Christians would not accepted as valid.

Ironically, I had a thread complaining about the above thread and posted there that the other tread had disappeared and why - a diversity issue. Then that thread was deleted with a note I didn’t understand, that I shouldn’t address mods.

i dont like threads just disappearing. It is too 1984. i would like the title of the thread to remain, all its contents deleted and a stock.stub saying thread violated guidelines and that this post would disappear in a day.

The third deletion occured when I posted several stories in the Campfire thread, the first thread I enjoyed being in throughly. One story ended on a cliffhanger and I decided to add the original story (which I did not write) which explained who the woman at the end was. The story had some sexual content and was deleted. I realize now I should have just explained the cliffhanger and not added the story.

So I learn but at an emotional cost.

I mostly have given up the idea of being part of the beta group testing Community 2.0 because I won’t be chosen. I am not the type that is wanted.

@abfgmsw

I think we both want too much from the Community. Most people here are great but we want too much from them

• to be considered part of their ‘in’ group fully rather than the strange outsiders we are.

To discuss deeply when only fun topics get responses.

Hang in there, both of you.

2 Likes

The problem with any social media platform is that we’re all just as loud as everybody else. Other forms of communication (TV, print, face to face) limit the amount of people who have a voice. But social media allows everyone to have a voice.

This sounds great in theory, and I’m not suggesting we start limiting who has a voice. But when a young kid has a voice in a mature discussion, it completely changes the dynamic. Just try going to a kid’s birthday party and starting a discussion on race relations as portrayed in comic books.

It’s near impossible to have a discussion about a controversial topic without somebody screaming, “I’m offended. I’m too immature to hold my feelings at bay and talk about this topic objectively.” This prompts a bunch of other people to jump on the bandwagon with comments like, “you really need to find a less offensive way to talk about this controversial topic. In fact, I’ll now exclaim that you’re a terrible person because you’ve offended an immature person.” At this point, the whole thread’s been derailed and the offensive person now has a big scarlet letter stapled to their chest.

This is not a problem unique to the DCU forums. And I don’t think it’s any worse here. But it’s here.

Personally, I enjoy tackling controversial topics head on. I honestly enjoy getting in the middle of something and seeing where it goes. Throughout my life, I’ve found these types of discussions to be rewarding, and often, my outlook on the topic has been changed for the better.

However, this community has made the decision to, not just avoid such discussions, but actively remove such discussions. I’m not saying this is a bad strategy in order to keep the peace. But personally, I’d prefer a forum which allowed open dialog.

I completely understand why this community uses the strategy of deleting controversial topics. The reason is to avoid offending immature participants.

4 Likes

I always wanted a DC service that was like Marvel Unlimited, so as soon as they expanded their library, and I saw a discount on the yearly sub, I jumped in.

Now, however, I feel that I need to take a break from comic subscription services until I’ve read all the comics I’ve bought on sale on Comixology. I have so many unread books, I really don’t need all-you-can-eat comics. Once I get through that backlog I’m going to sub to both Marvel and DC services, and maybe Comixology Unlimited.

I will definitely add another year subscription. Even with the original content being shared with HBO MAX the comics are worth it.

3 Likes

@TurokSonofStone1952
You’re one of the positives here. I appreciate your posts and always make sure to read them.

@harley.333
Well said. The staff here are creating a community in a particular image that they desire. That’s fine. Its their site not mine so they have that right and I support that right. We then have a choice - live within that image or find a site more suitable to our own standards.

I’m an Admin on a sports site that manages near 10,000 ppd during peak season. I’ve been doing this kind of work for over 15 years and have seen a lot in that time. Our site is family oriented, but still we allow for mature discussion and even have an area where people can go to discuss topics that get out of hand if the topic has merit.

With that, I’m out. I’ve posted more in the last few hours than I have in months. I need to go back to being silent until my time here is up.

1 Like

@LonelyLobo
@abfgmsw

Lobo, thanks for the kind words. I do try to write stuff that is informative, even if I go on too long.

Abfgmsw

I am trying to lie low right now and not get another deletion on my record.

The Mods and Tech Support do good work.

There are currently threads in Support that seem almost abusive to me and many posters want what they want and now. I wouldn’t want such a stressful job, where people are angry, it seems at your personally, and you can’t really satify their wants.

As for Tech Services, I was a programmer for 45 years and I had users ask for changes that hard or impossible to do and they wanted it yesterday.

And I was batch not on line and on one platform. Imagine trying to fix something on ome device when it already works on other platforms. If they have a anything like a common code base, that would be a nightmare. Meanwhile Management is pushing Community 2.0 and implementation on other devices.

A suggestion. Creating a thread on any other Forum then Random must be relevant to DC.

So post on.Random. That is where the Rumor people that are dissatisfied anyway.

If you post an interesting topic in Random on a thread I will respond

2 Likes

For my self I love DCU. I grew up on Marvel comics as they were cheaper than DC comics. I have had a MU account for almost 3 years and have never considered canceling. However ever since DC added 20,000 comics to the library, I have only opened my MU app a few times in the last few months. Now if I have to cut one or the other I will cut MU. DC comics are much better. They are a lot more violent and gritty. I wish the movies were more like the comics. As they were under Zack Snyder. He was doing a great job. Long story short. DC has better comics Marvel has better movies. And I will continue subscribing as long as the comics library continues to grow. I love The original shows. Swamp Thing, doom patrol and Titans. If they move them to HBO that for me, would be fine as HBO is probably better suited to handle the big budget shows like that.

1 Like

I will probably keep it and hopefully will be able to renew for full year

@abfgmsw, @turok, lonely lobo and many other outsiders. I think you all add alit of insight to many threads. Numerous times I have taken the time to read your comments and almost always they are engaging and we’ll thought out. I know alot of times I don’t respond as I feel my less engaging less thought out thoughts look shallow and stupid next to them. I really appreciate having so many different out looks on here. Lonely Lobo I’m not as familiar with you as abf or turok, but I certainly hope to see you around the forums while you still have the app. Have a wonderful day all.

1 Like

Well I liked👍 them both

1 Like