Action Comics 1004...WTH???

This issue and Bendis writing of Superman in general just annoyed the crap out of me. Lois’s new crutch word…“baby”. She refers to Clark as baby 7 times in one freaking issue!!! Also let me get this straight…Clark is written as a protective husband and father just let’s his non-powered wife and young son leave with someone who may or may not be his father returned from the dead??? WTH??? Then we have Lois the protective mother who once she gets into space and sees how her son is evolving just leaves him with Jor El and returns to Earth because she was a danger to the group? Again WTH??? Then she doesn’t contact the love of her life to let him know she abandoned their child or she’s back??? When Clark finds out Jon is out there somewhere with no way to contact them…he seems totally ok with it. These characters are being written soooo out of character I barely recognize them. Bendis had taken a great family dynamic and all the positive momentum that Superman gained in Rebirth and flushed it to tell a Marvelized version of Superman. Soooo angry!!!

6 Likes

edwardmhawa71714", You are spot-on in your critique of the Bendis Superman-family debacle. This issue read like Bendis had no idea who these characters were. In no previous iteration of Lois and Clark would they act that way! Not only is it a “middle finger” to Rebirth but the entire Superman mythos as well. To be fair, I don’t fully blame Bendis for this mess, (writers want to try different approaches which are not guaranteed to always work) but instead, my ire is directed toward Mr. Didio. It seems the guy wants to trash everything–including a well-adjusted, albeit, atypical family.

2 Likes

I agree …Didio is just as responsible. I’m so worried about G Willow Wilson on Wonder Woman and Kelly Sue On Aquaman. I don’t want All New All Different DC… Hope I’m wrong.

3 Likes

DC must stop the constant reboots and, more importantly, the deconstruction of the super-hero. I have no desire to read about an amnesiac Aquaman, an uncertain Batman, and a Superman who isn’t man enough to hold his family together. How is any of this “hopeful”? I’m afraid things will continue to spiral downward now that Geoff Johns is no longer the chief creative officer. God, I hope the conclusion of Doomsday clock fixes this nihilistic, anarchic mess.

2 Likes

“Bendis is coming” was a freaking warning. He came and destroyed Superman and his healthy marriage and family. I made a thread where I said I despise what Bendis has done to Superman and they thought I was joking. Glad to see some people who agree. He took a giant dump on the single greatest Superman run that was Tomasi writing. Bendis please go back to the dumpster fire that is Marvel comics and a long with the talentless colleagues that came with you.

3 Likes

I have not been happy with what Bendis has done to Superman but he is a skilled writer, willing to give it a little more time before declaring a dumpster fire but for right now it doesn’t look good.

2 Likes