Acquired Taste: The Characters from Companies DC Bought Fan Club!

Lady Death

1 Like

And let’s not forget Wonder Woman, The Flash and Green Lantern … characters that were technically created for All-American Publications. (There’s a reason Batman and Superman weren’t in the JSA when it was formed)

It wasn’t until a few years later that AAP’s characters were folded into DC’s other books, creating National Periodical Publications.

2 Likes

“Yes!” x52. Any team with Grifter is a great team!

1 Like

I love the WildStorm characters, derivative though a lot of them may be, and would love to see them return to the post -Rebirth DCU.

I’d also love to see somebody take the StormWatch IP and make a TV series out of it.

2 Likes

@Vroom (and other WildStorm fan friends): I’m trying to put together an initial round of selections for the book club. My plan is to rotate through the companies weekly (though we might run out of books for Quality characters, so I’m not sure how good of an idea that is), so I’m looking at Plastic Man '88, Shazam! The New Beginning, and The Question #1-4, but I need some WildStorm recommendations. I’ve tried poking around on TV Tropes, but information is a little sparse. Would Stormwatch '93 be a good place to start? Seems like that and then later The Authority were WildStorm’s main flagship titles.

If Warren Ellis’ The Wild Storm is available, that’d be the ideal place to start.

Otherwise, StormWatch Vol. 1, WildC.A.T.s, and Gen-13 would be good alternatives.

1 Like

That would work, but I guess I was just kind of looking to start earlier in their history. I can be flexible on that, though. Especially since The Wild Storm is the start of a new continuity, right?

Starting with WildCats volume 1 is slightly problematic, I might go with the Team 1 books

1 Like

I could read that again.

1 Like

Yes, The Wild Storm is a full continuity reboot, which makes it a good starting point.

1 Like

I think StormWatch would work, as would WildC.A.T.S. (1992).

if you want a knee to the jaw of an excellent starting point, you absolutely want The Authority (1999) #'s 1-4.

1 Like

I always liked the Charlton characters. I remember having a couple issues of Captain Atom and the Blue Beetle before DC bought them.

1 Like

Book Club is up and running!

1 Like

There’s a raging controversy (ok, me and occasionally somebody else) who discuss which Charleton characters DC actually owns. I know that some Action Heroes like Ditko’s Static or the Fightin Five have reverted back to their creators. But that still leaves several unaccounted for. Two especially; Sgt. Willy Schultz and Wander have very intriguing premises. Does anybody know definitely if DC bought the rest of them and just hasn’t used them yet; or was it just the few that showed up in COIE?

1 Like