A Small Death of Superman/World Without a Superman Question

I’ve been reading through the Death of Superman saga and was wondering- what’s the deal with Lex and Supergirl? I skipped a bit between Man of Steel/Adventures of Superman (I read to the end of the Man of Steel vol 1 hardcover) and was wondering what was going on. Either an explanation or a few issues I could read to get the idea would be great.

3 Likes

I can’t remember exact issues- the brief explanation (from what I remember, so someone correct me if I miss anything) is that Lex Luthor had developed kryptonite poisoning due to wearing a kryptonite ring for so many years, and to the public: he’d died from it. Unbeknownst to the world, he’d transferred his mind into a clone body that he convinced the world was his son. Supergirl believes him to be good, so she begins a relationship with him.

4 Likes

Also, If I recall correctly, Lex Luthor as the younger clone looks exactly like the Lex Luthor doppelgänger that created Matrix/Supergirl in the first place (Pocket dimensions)

4 Likes

Yes, Lex Luthor II is Lex’s Australian “son” who’s actually a clone body with the original Luthor’s brain. Meanwhile, Supergirl is a shape-shifting being modeled off of Lana Lang and created by an alternate Lex Luthor from a pocket universe that was devised by the Time Trapper to dupe the Legion of Super-Heroes. Hence why she’s prone to trust Lex II.

What was the purpose of the Crisis, again? To make comics more accessible? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

This is exactly what I was thinking. :stuck_out_tongue: I wanted to read more Superman, so I started with The Man of Steel and went forward from there, thinking it would be a good place to start after Crisis. But it wasn’t too many issues before you had that whole pocket universe and Superman deciding to kill alternate versions of Zod and his cronies, and then a lot of the storylines would jump between three different titles. I’ve really enjoyed it, but it didn’t stay super accessible for long. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

All comics reboots seem to start with “make it more accessible to new readers” but most have abandoned this before the end of the first lap. But you can’t convince me 90’s alt-rock hair Aussie Lex isn’t the best Lex! You can’t!

1 Like

I’ve continued reading into the World Without a Superman Phase. I have to say pretty much every scene with Lois or the Kents is heartbreaking (the Kents especially) and underlines that; for all the superpowers, it’s not the powers why Superman is so loved by Metropolis and most of the world.

Oh, and Nightwing handing out presents to kids and Hal and Wally building a house are priceless.

2 Likes

Yeah. I was getting these issues from my local comic shop (back when I had one!) as they were coming out, and while the Doomsday story and the Reign/Return arc were good and all (for all their 90s excess), it was Funeral for a Friend that really stood out as the highlight of this whole endeavor. Of course Superman was coming back eventually, but the writers really took his death seriously and told a compelling story.

2 Likes