A Post For Us to Just Thank DC For Black Label!

Hahah, well, at least you made me feel better for continuously throwing my money at comic books!
And, yes, I agree, he made awesome points! I loved Death of the Family too! That comic shook me to the core! @hashtag-goodtobejo

2 Likes

I collected as a kid and lost all my books in a house fire right out of High School…

The Death of the Family Joker is the Joker that got me excited about collecting again… I’ve been chasing that “What the f*ck did I just read?” ever since.

That’s what I love about Black Label. Everyone wants to say they’re a Hero but I admit there’s a diabolical side to me that craves some twisted s*it I read!

4 Likes

THIS!!!

10 Likes

@Middleearthmary

As far as throwing your money at comics goes…

There are people in the world who drop tens of thousands of dollars on a single canvas covered in random splashes of old paint.

I covered this entire wall in art that RAWKS for under $120:

9 Likes

@Aristarchus94.72134
@Middleearthmary

I just finished this series tonight…
Talk about being shaken to the core!!!

Here’s a book worth buying:

9 Likes

Agreed, we all have our vices! I am happy to throw my money.

I have the hardcover on order, it comes out Nov 26th. I can’t wait! I hope the internet does not spoil anything. Thanks for the recommendation!

2 Likes

It was good!
It was VERY good!

2 Likes

Last Knight on Earth is SO Good! When’s the 3rd book gonna be on shelves? Haven’t checked for a while… Feels like we should have it… I am so thankful for the Black Label! That’s what we want! Keep em coming! It’s a good decision & do push the bar.

5 Likes

@toonatonian Current word is that #3 is delayed due to Snyder and Capullo having contributed to Spawn #300 and will be out on December 18th.

Regarding Black Label, I wasn’t too interested in either of the Batman titles, but I thoroughly enjoyed Superman: Year One and am eagerly anticipating the Question mini-series as well as the eventual Wonder Woman book.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update on Last Knight, I was beginning to think I missed it.

1 Like

Harleen has been incredible. One of the best takes on Harley since her original Mad Love story.

6 Likes

Are the DC Black Label imprint going to be on DC Universe when the time comes?

3 Likes

I love what DC is doing with Black Label. The stories and art have been fantastic. Can’t get enough of the prestige-format! Killer Smile was epic :raised_hands:t2: Thank you DC for Black Label!

4 Likes

Word on that seems to be “no” at the moment. While Black Label titles have featured stalwarts of the mainstream DCU, the label is generally seen as more of a mature readers imprint, and as such doesn’t align with the core DC Universe publishing content that’s on DCU itself.

'Course, that can always change in the future.

@Vroom

So…
I think DC putting their entire comic library in DCU is incredibly generous and I personally feel that, seeing businesses are in the business if naking money, they publish some SUPER recent books when they really want us buying books in stores and subscribing to their shows online.

But…
As gar as content being mature:
Titans and Swamp Thing have been pretty mature, and hasn’t that always been the tradition with subscription/premium entertainment? You’re paying for it and are aware of what you’re paying for so there is a whole lot less censorship if any at all?

4 Likes

I think as far as “recent” comics go, we’re only going to get those that are considered part of the main DCU.

Regarding Black Label, if we were going to receive those, I’m think Batman Damned would already be in here.

1 Like

Agreed on the TV show front. The thing to keep in mind with Titans, Swamp Thing and other DCU Original content, is that that content was created with DC Universe in mind. Black Label and other non-DCU comics/imprints were/are not.

I don’t feel there’s any aspects of censorship at play as far as books outside the DC Universe imprint and their lack of availability on the service is concerned.

DC Comics and DC Universe (For those unaware, they are not the same company. Rather, they are two seperate entities from two seperate divisions of the same company, Warner Media.) are, right now at least, more interested in featuring comic content from the DC Universe imprint (as well as very select exceptions from Vertigo that tie into content on the service, along with the Wildstorm imprint which has had some connections to DCU characters here and there) on a fan engagement service entitled “DC Universe” rather than every digitally available book from every digitally available DC imprint ever created. It’s a textbook example of corporate synergy. So far, it seems to be a decision that’s paying off for the service.

Does that answer your question @hashtag-goodtobejo? I hope so, but I feel I may have rambled a bit, as I do that now and then. Please let me know if there’s anything else you’d like elaboration on. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Vroom

As far as any censorship goes I was responding to what you said about Black Label being for more mature readers…maybe I used the wrong word.

A lot of good information there, thank you!

I expect thas as soon as DCU gets a steady rotation of shows it’ll become more known for its programming content and social applications.

I’m all about digital music and movies…I dont miss the days of the twenty five pound backpack full of CDs but I don’t enjoy reading things digitally. I enjoy collecting physical comics as well as novels. If people stop buying physical copies of books and only read them digitally I honestly believe it would hurt, if not destroy the industry.

So, from a business perspective I don’t think digitizing their entire library would be a good decision and thats not a bad thing. Any business should be in the business of turning a profit.

3 Likes

The Hill House comics which are Black Label books are going to be awesome. I read Basketful of Heads #1 and it has me wanting to read much much more.

5 Likes

It was definitely intriguing, I’ll need one more issue to know if I’m all in or not. The back-up was awesome, I thought.

1 Like