A Death in The Family... The Real Life Edition

Thank you very much I hope the moderator will allow me to show or at least mention 6 other special memory books that are not DC

1 Like

Today I decided to share the memories I have about where I was when Superman died. When I first heard the news that DC had decided to kill Superman I remember thinkingā€¦he canā€™t die. But then everyone around the world started chiming inā€¦he was going to dieā€¦for real. There was an immediate pain in the pit of my stomach. He canā€™t dieā€¦He was the best of the heroes! Then the storyline began to hit the shelves and I was literally watching Superman being beaten to a pulp. Cuts and bruises and blood and the pain that I had knowing that this was going to be his swan song. On the day he died I was working the 3rd shift and the comic store didnā€™t open until 10:00amā€¦I got off at 7:00am so I drove over to the parking lot of the comic store and waitedā€¦and waited. What I remember most about the day was it was drizzling out and that as I walked to door of the shop people followed me. I am the mistake of holding the door for people and they rushed in and didnā€™t return the door holding favor. Thankfully by the time I got to the black bag version there were a few left. I bought mine and read itā€¦and they did it. They killed my favorite hero. and then came his funeralā€¦flash forward to yesterday and my Dad 's memorial serviceā€¦He diedā€¦the only thing remaining was the pain in my stomach from knowing a few days ago that he was going to die soon since I knew his time was short I could prepare for itā€¦kinda. Like the day Superman diedā€¦I knew where I was that day and I knew where I was when my Dad diedā€¦I was sitting with him. Yesterday people shared stories about how Dad was important to them and how he made a difference in their lives. They knew him as a good man. I knew him as my dad and my favorite hero of allā€¦fly high "Pop"cycle! I love you, say hi to mom.

1 Like

R.I.P. Robin (1940-1988)

Today I decided to share the memories I have about where I was when Superman died. When I first heard the news that DC had decided to kill Superman I remember thinkingā€¦he canā€™t die. But then everyone around the world started chiming inā€¦he was going to dieā€¦for real. There was an immediate pain in the pit of my stomach. He canā€™t dieā€¦He was the best of the heroes! Then the storyline began to hit the shelves and I was literally watching Superman being beaten to a pulp. Cuts and bruises and blood and the pain that I had knowing that this was going to be his swan song. On the day he died I was working the 3rd shift and the comic store didnā€™t open until 10:00amā€¦I got off at 7:00am so I drove over to the parking lot of the comic store and waitedā€¦and waited. What I remember most about the day was it was drizzling out and that as I walked to door of the shop people followed me. I am the mistake of holding the door for people and they rushed in and didnā€™t return the door holding favor. Thankfully by the time I got to the black bag version there were a few left. I bought mine and read itā€¦and they did it. They killed my favorite hero. and then came his funeralā€¦flash forward to yesterday and my Dad 's memorial serviceā€¦He diedā€¦the only thing remaining was the pain in my stomach from knowing a few days ago that he was going to die soon since I knew his time was short I could prepare for itā€¦kinda. Like the day Superman diedā€¦I knew where I was that day and I knew where I was when my Dad diedā€¦I was sitting with him. Yesterday people shared stories about how Dad was important to them and how he made a difference in their lives. They knew him as a good man. I knew him as my dad and my favorite hero of allā€¦fly high "Pop"cycle! I love you, say hi to mom.

1 Like

Excuse me, Iā€™ve just got something in my eye.

1 Like

Me tooā€¦life is a rollercoaster ride even for heroes

1 Like

Iā€™m really sorry about your Father passing I know when my Grandma Stallings passed away that my Fathers Mother the glue that held us all together fell apart and now after four years I decided to find away to put the family back together I hope you and your family are doing good even though I donā€™t know you but to me we are both members of the DC Community so to me we are all more like family so I am sorry for your loss I hope things get better for you

Thank you for your warmth and kindnessā€¦we are ok and working toward the healing processā€¦thank you for thinking of us

Thank you for your warmth and kindnessā€¦we are ok and working toward the healing processā€¦thank you for thinking of us

1 Like

Once upon a time this was in a box of comic books that a kind man gave a young boy who liked to read. I was so excited I was shakingā€¦Comic booksā€¦for me to readā€¦amazing! I learned to read by reading comic books and this was my favorite. The originals are long gone by I recently got this as the most important memory I have of comicsā€¦the beginning of a young boys love of the stories, artwork, and smell of a comic bookā€¦Holy Moly! Itā€™s Shazam! Pictures will follow but right now Iā€™m running lateā€¦

1 Like

Holy Moly! This is the comic that I remember reading that hooked me on reading comic books! This book was my favorite of all the comics that was in my 1st box of comics ever. In 1976 it was a great time to read comics. Sometimes you could find rare Golden Age comics and silver age too!