:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :00_batgirl1:

6 Likes

7 Likes

5 Likes

Brian Ewing 2002

7 Likes

Wonder Woman by Ross Andru

8 Likes

Actually, Cho wasn’t alive in 1945, that’s a modern cover for one of the recent collections: SHAZAM!: THE WORLD’S MIGHTIEST MORTAL VOL. 1 | DC
@MisfitCMJ

5 Likes

Lots of golden age art were indeed drawn quite recently. I assign dates to the art based on what year and month in history the artist was trying to portray. For example, there is plenty of new art about the golden age justice society and I assign a 1940s date to them usually by starting with the filename format YYYYMM_ like 194012_xx_artistname.jpg and that makes them easy to sort sequentially.

3 Likes

Here’s a collection of variants, including second print editions, from the Superman - Son of Kal-El run:

John Timms 2nd print variant of the first issue

Alan Quah an LCS exclusive of the first issue

Roger Cruz + Norm Rapmund variant

Clayton Henry

Steve Pugh + Romulo Fajardo, Jr.

Pamela Hoogeboom

Simone Di Meo

In-Hyuk Lee

7 Likes

Except the way your reply was written wasn’t ‘the artist is trying to portray’ but rather ‘[t]his is the earliest possible date for the [creation of] the art.’

I don’t want to get into a back and forth, I think if you are offering dates, with things like the artists name, it’s helpful to have the clarity.

Simply stating that this was the cover by Michael Cho for a 2019 collection (that actually collects a 1973 run of DC’s Shazam title, not one of the GA runs from Fawcett in the 1940s - which have mostly not been collected beyond the print only versions that exist of the older DC Archives) would be more accurate and complete information, than Mary Marvel’s first appearance date or an estimated date of what an artist was aiming for. Cho’s art tends (like Darwyn Cooke’s and sometimes that of other creators) to have what we can refer to as either a timeless, or a classic appearance, that makes it feel like it comes from an earlier time frame than the actual month and year of a piece’s release.

A perfect example is Jeff Parker’s work on Thunderworld Adventures, which sometimes looked like a very cleaned up and remastered version of the Fawcett panels, and Jeff isn’t an artist known for trying to ape a classical or timeless style generally.

5 Likes

I try to keep descriptions brief bec long descriptions can also be criticized for being too long. Assigning dates to art is obviously an error prone process. I rely mainly on my knowledge of dc history and looking at dc wiki. For the michael cho captain marvel family art, I assigned it to the golden age bec CC Beck changed how Mary Marvel was drawn in 1973, so you can tell from a Mary Marvel art if she is being drawn like from the golden age or the bronze age. In 1973, CC Beck removed the cape string around the neck of Mary Marvel. My guess is that michael cho art was originally intended for a golden age collection but instead, was used for a bronze age collection. If you look at vol 2 and vol 3, michael cho draws Mary Marvel bronze age style in the covers for vol 2 and vol 3. Placing art in its proper place in dc history usually requires more than 1 simple internet search whereas to find out when an art was first drawn probably is easy to find with 1 simple internet search if you have the artist name.

3 Likes

Sheldon Moldoff 1957

8 Likes

8 Likes

:00_batman_1989: :00_batman_1989: :00_batman_1989:

6 Likes