A DC Comic Cover A Day!

Thanks for the link! I’ve listened to some of the podcasts within the Fire and Water Network. I appreciate the feedback!

I’ve recently started my own podcast that covers only digital comics. Basically: My mission is to help you find your next digital comic book pick from the Golden Age to now. It’s between 15-25 minutes-- with the 4th weekly edition coming out on Wednesday.

Perhaps in the future, you’d consider being a guest? I’ve some ideas. Do let me know if you are interested.

3 Likes

Every day I suggest a comic I think deserves a spot to be archived and added to DC Infinite.

First, I do give DC credit for the massive run of Flash, starting with issue 105 and going all the until issue 212! Then… missing 213 and 214—then zip(!) until the 'Death of Iris" story in 275.

So today’s pick is Flash 213- Mar 72

The_Flash_Vol_1_213

7 Likes

What’s your podcast’s name? I would like to listen. I’m happy to be a guest if we can work the logistics out.

2 Likes

Fantastic Comic Fan is the podcast. It isn’t on Apple… yet. On Spotify, Stitcher, and a few others. Still getting some of the tech stuff together. Plus, adding polish to the podcast.

It is 15-30 minutes long. I’d rather add days (which is the long-term plan) than make it much longer. There are too many awesome longer-format podcasts and that long-format is not my niche.

I only cover digital format, but I try to cover beyond what’s popular. On my social media posts, I just run Silver Age on Saturday and Golden Age on Sundays. Within the podcast, I’d like to have different recurring segments.

Anyway… enough of my rambling! As a potential guest-- I wanted to give you a little more background. I’m sure we can work something out, depending on your schedule.

3 Likes

Green Lantern #1

7 Likes

35 years ago in 1986, the Byrne/ Wolfman era began

Jerry Ordway, John Byrne, John Byrne

9 Likes

Every day I suggest a comic I think deserves a spot to be archived and added to DC Infinite.

Since the service seems allergic to westerns, maybe an easy one to get past is the 1st appearance of Bat Lash—Showcase 76 (1968). Unfortunately, of the 100+ issues of Showcase, DC has only archived two dozen. Considering the Silver Age sprang from the series—a little more attention may be in order!

Showcase_76

9 Likes

70 years ago this month only 5 of the 27 titles DC put out were superhero titles

issue #1 by Win Mortimer in 1951

10 Likes

Nice factoid: Fantastic Research! And what a great cover. Again, these are the type of comics I wish DC would balance more with other choices. If nothing else, to honor the legacy of the great stuff hidden-- waiting to be archived.

4 Likes

I don’t think we can ever have enough Plastic Man! I remember this run of the title growing up! The numbering picks up the series, with #11 in 1976-- continuing the numbering from the Silver Age series.

Come on! It’s only ten issues of the run and features more of the work Ramona Fradon! The archives deserve more of her work.

AND the lead story’s title makes it MUST READ: “The Hamsters of Doom”!

Plastic_Man_Vol_2_11

6 Likes

J H Williams III 2006

7 Likes

The whole 7 Soldiers is all my reading list-- I just don’t have the energy to dive into Morrison’s world…

3 Likes

I believe the only reason Star Hunters had a short life as it fell victim to The DC Implosion! At only six issues, it deserves a chance to get archived! Today’s pick is Star Hunter 1-7 (1978).

Star_Hunters_7

7 Likes

Art Baltazar 2011

8 Likes

Let me tell you a quick story: I had just purchased Showcase 100, and I hadn’t had a chance to savor it. I was in 5th grade and loaned it to my best friend Ricky, who hid it within the pages of a spelling book. The teacher found it anyway—promptly tore it up and tossed it in the trash. So let me tell you: in the days of newsstands—it took a long time to find it again!

It was the Crisis BEFORE Crisis! Pretty much ALL the characters who got their start in the title—at least made a cameo appearance. The story was extra long, a rarity back then.
Kudos to Joe Staton, who drew the issue. All those characters!

Showcase 100 (1978) definitely deserves a place in the archives!

Showcase_100

9 Likes

:scream: that hurt to read I can’t imagine actually witnessing that act of terror!

6 Likes

I never took a comic to school. I never let anyone else borrow one either. All the other boys liked Marvel more, none of them could be trusted!

7 Likes

The comic series lasted twice as long as the tv show

10 Likes

Betty, BG, and Cass are so cute here. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :00_batgirl1:

9 Likes

Great New 52 JL cover by Ivan Reis and Rod Reis!

9 Likes