80 years ago this week

Howard Purcell 1941

7 Likes

Curt Swan 1961

7 Likes

Flash #110 1st appearance of Kid Flash

7 Likes

David Bullock 2003

When the cartoon debuted, people were stealing the posters put up to advertise the cartoon. So that’s where the idea for this cover came from.

7 Likes

Russ Heath 1968

7 Likes

I would to see some war comics added to the service!

5 Likes

Brave and Bold #28 1st appearance of Justice League of America

10 Likes

Lead feature written by Robert Kanigher and drawn by Alex Toth

8 Likes

Fans don’t realize how talented Kanigher was over the years-- he wrote great stories in different genres.

4 Likes

DC October 1971 covers by Neal Adams

Big month with some absolute classic covers.

If you are wondering, John Stewart’s 50th birthday is October 21st.

8 Likes

Wayne Boring 1946

8 Likes

Thanks for the info on Stewart! So hard to keep track of the anniversaries. You don’t know a legit site that keeps track of those things, do ya?

Gonna have to do something on John for my podcast & videos.

And enjoyed the rest of the covers, too!

4 Likes

Golden Age story still have their place! They should be read in the context of the times and how the stories were presented. Thanks for the share!

5 Likes

My first stop is http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/ to find covers, when something came out, credits, etc.

For a deeper search, the final word is https://www.comics.org/

5 Likes

Thanks for replying! Yes, I also use Mike’s. It is one of those resources that I sometimes don’t think gets enough credit. In my own pieces, I try to spotlight comics and creators who don’t get a lot of attention.

4 Likes

Unless anyone objects, I’d like to add covers to the thread. my niche (or nudges) are comics I think should be added to the service. For example, Superman 50. It is the 10th Anniversary issue AND has the first appearance of Super Baby! My first Baby stories came from the Superman Family Dollar Comics.

8 Likes

Ernie Chua 1976 (if it’s 1976, it’s Ernie Chua)

Also my first issue of Wonder Woman

7 Likes

I never understood why.

5 Likes

Today’s suggestion to add to the archives-- Brave and the Bold 57 (Jan 65). 1st appearance of Metamorpho and drawn by Romona Fradon who turned 95 over the weekend.

8 Likes