45th Metropolis Superman Celebration 2023 Master Thread!

Looks like we need to set a time and place for a DCUI meet up! :smiley: :partying_face:

4 Likes

I’ll be easy to find on stage as a returning champion for Superman Jeopardy!

4 Likes

:astonished: I see, so I am in the presence of a celebrity!!

3 Likes

:sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve added a few events from the official group Facebook page and a guest artist!

Anyone else looking forward to a game of kickball? :red_circle: :boom: :leg:
I haven’t played since I was a kid!!

3 Likes

As stated by someone else, it does get crowded on Saturdays, which is usually the day when the celebrity guests of the celebration sign autographs (for a fee and if you are able to get a ticket) and they do Q&As (free). Many of the things in Metropolis that you see during the celebration you can see at other times of the year, such as the statues and the museum. WIth the celebration, you have the celebrity guests, and they also usually bring in on or two artists or writers who have worked on Superman titles, or other DC comic books. Looks like Jamal Igle has already been listed as one of the comic artists this year. If you are a Superman collector, there are some fun auctions where you can get some cool stuff for your collection. One of the auctions is organized by the Superman Celebration and the funds go to restoring a theater in Metropolis. Another auction is organized by people outside of the celebration. The past few years, the people that run the museum have also hosted their own mini-con where vendors sell items, and they bring in their own guests. This year, one of their guests is Sam Jones (Flash Gordon). I don’t know if they will be adding any more guests. Last year, they had some actors from the Superboy TV series, and Jack O’Halloran. There are also other fun events during the celebration, such as the Superman Jeopardy contest that Vincentry mentioned. Even if you don’t make it on the stage, they ask questions to the audience, and you can get some neat gifts if you get a question right. I highly recommend going to this event at least once.

7 Likes

Yes!! I love the insider tips and tricks!! Please keep posting your insights no matter how small! I need to make the most out of this trip since I’m coming down from Alaska! If it wasn’t for you and @vincenty, I wouldn’t have known about jeopardy! I should go to yesterday’s trivia post and study up! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Thank you very much for sharing, info was helpful.

3 Likes

Welcome back to the community @tk42193.21347! :wave: Thanks for sharing these great tips - if you need anything from the moderator team, please don’t hesitate to let us know.

4 Likes

@Aquamon if you do visit outside of the Celebration timeframe, it’s still an amazing place for a Superman fan anytime of year. That museum was incredible 15 years ago when I went and it looks to be ever better now! If you don’t end up there before the Celebration, you can count on a report out from me with lots of photos for you :smiley:

3 Likes

Hey, that’s awesome thank you! If I don’t I hope you all have a Super great time!

3 Likes

Hot off the presses!!

4 Likes

Visiting from Alaska I’d suggest be ready for some hot weather! It does sometimes rain briefly so I bring a packable poncho. The rain usually doesn’t last long. Quick summer downpours.

If you’re looking to meet the featured guests the VIP sponsorship is helpful. It’s a bit expensive, but I like supporting the town and the celebration. Before each of the featured guests does their Q&A they have a photo op in front of the statue. So you can show up a few minutes early to get a good spot. The seats under the tent fill up for the featured guest Q&As pretty quickly as well. I usually skip the photo at the statue so I can secure a good seat for the Q&A. But Tyler at the statue is something I don’t want to miss.

Once the schedule is released I plan out my weekend ahead of time. Jeopardy is one of my favorite events (and happens all three days), but there are lots of fun activities for all interests. If you’re a collector you don’t want to miss the auction. In previous years I’ve gone a little overboard at the auction and had to ship things home that wouldn’t fit in my suitcase!

4 Likes

:joy: I’ve already received the advice to nest an empty suitcase for all the stuff I’ll be bringing home :joy: I’ll be packing PB&J sandwiches to work the rest of the year if that’s what it takes to give me some extra spending money! :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s so helpful to have folks like you so willing to coach me through preparations for this event! I’m so excited to pack in as many events as humanly possible! I’ll need a vacation from this vacation! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

:exploding_head: My flights are booked!! :small_airplane:

I’ve sorted things with my bestie in Tennessee so I’ll be heading up from Knoxville on the 7th if anyone wants to carpool!

I’ll be flying home through St. Louis on Monday, the 12th if anyone is heading that way!

If you need a ride and are on my route, if I can’t find a ride I’ll end up renting a car and I’d be happy to have a co-pilot! :smiley: Hit me up if you are trip planning and we can coordinate plans :smiley:

5 Likes

@Lincolnfan78!!! I’m losing my mind!! I’m figuring out my travel from my friend’s place in Knoxville to Metropolis AND GUESS WHAT I JUST REALIZED IS ON THE WAY!!!

:exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head:

5 Likes

I saw the museum on YouTube channel ‘Daze with Jordan The Lion’ where Jordan visit the museum (And other video Superman Museum) its definitely worth checking out if you’re a huge Patsy Cline fan, thankyou so much for sharing.:smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks for the video mention! I’ll check that out to prepare myself hehehe

4 Likes

Please tell me their local newspaper is called The Daily Planet

4 Likes

4 Likes