45th Metropolis Superman Celebration 2023 Master Thread!

More than a Convention | Better than a Festival | It's a Celebration!

:00_superman: :clark_hv_1: :0_superman1:

Greetings community! @Bar-El here :wave: I’m heading to Metropolis, Illinois for this year’s Superman Celebration and since I’m trip planning, I figured I’d put everything I find into one big thread for anyone else interested in attending!

:round_pushpin: Meet me in Metropolis!
If you’re heading to the Celebration, let me know if you would like to meet up!

:00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1:

:00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1:

:calendar: Dates: Friday, June 9 - Sunday, June 11

:world_map: Location: Metropolis, Illinois
The very southernmost tip of Illinois.

Details

Schedule
  • Friday: TBA

• Saturday: TBA

• Sunday: TBA

Events
  • Meet Superman
    When: TBA
    Superman Square; 501 Market St.
    It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s Metropolis’ very own Superman. This is your opportunity to get your picture taken with our favorite hero.

• Metro Chamber Open House
    516 Market St.
    Stop by - say hi, ask a question, look around, buy official Superman Celebration merchandise. It’s all happening here!

• Artist Alley/Writers Way
    101 W. 8th St.
    You’ll find our guest artist and writers in Artist Alley/Writers Way.

Fundraisers
Guests
  • TBA

Travel info

Directions

Traveling on Interstate 24 you will take Exit 37 to Highway 45. This will take you directly into the city of Metropolis.

Airports
  • The closest regional airport is Barkley Regional Airport (PAH) in Paducah, KY. Metropolis is a short 15 minute drive from this airport.

• The closest international airports are Nashville International Airport (BNA) Nashville, TN and St. Louis Lambert International Airport (STL) St. Louis, MO. Both are an easy 2.5 hour drive to Metropolis.

Lodging

Check out the official Visit Metropolis website for more information: https://www.metropolistourism.com/lodging

In order by closest distance to the Superman Statue:

Attractions

The Superman Statue

While Superman has been a part of the City of Metropolis since 1972, the Superman Statue itself has been standing over Market Street since June 1993. 15 feet tall and 4,000 pounds of bronze muscle, the statue stands on a monument base and walkway of over 1,200 personalized red bricks.
hqdefault

The Super Museum

Adjacent to the Superman Statue you will find the home to one of the largest Superman collections in the world! The Super Museum contains artifacts from various Superman movies and television shows, including actual Superman costumes, props and publicity photos. A larger than life Doomsday is a sight to behold for any Superman Fan, as is the collection of Superman toys that are sure to take you back to your childhood.

Noel Neill as Lois Lane Statue

2 blocks from the Superman Statue, at the corner of Market St. & 8th St. is a statue of his leading lady, Lois Lane. The late Noel Neill, portrayed Lois Lane in the “Adventures of Superman” and is forever memorialized in this tribute to her. Noel was a strong supporter of Metropolis and was on hand to reveal her likeness in June of 2010. The 6 foot bronze statue honors “The First Lady of Metropolis.” You will also find the iconic “Metropolis Planet” Globe in front of this statue.

Check out the other amazing things to visit nearby: https://www.metropolistourism.com/attractions

Official Superman Celebration Sites:

https://www.instagram.com/metrosupermancelebration/

6 Likes

VERY cool!! :superman: I hope a lot of our resident Superman fans here are able to make it!

5 Likes

Me too! It would be so cool to meet folks in person!

I am anxiously awaiting the guest list to start getting announced! Between now and June, things are going to start heating up!!

I’m really hoping Smallville Nights comes back again this year!

4 Likes

I certainly hope you have a Super great time there! :grinning:

:superman:
:superman_fan_club: :smallville_fan_club:
:superman_hv_4:

3 Likes

:partying_face: That’s so cool!

Looking forward to your updates! :superman:

4 Likes

I regret never going when I lived in the Midwest.

4 Likes

Time for a home town reunion with a Metro stop? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes