2024 Comic Reading Challenge

Justice League of America 231-261 Annual 2, 3 (33)

Which brings my year total to an even 300.

8 Likes

My goal is read the last 40 years worth of HAWKMAN comics backwards until it all goes back to making sense

6 Likes

And so endeth DEATHNOTE truly the most convoluted funnybook I’ve ever read and I’ve been at this for awhile. When the daughter said “watch the anime” my old-geek self said “hell no! I’M GONNA READ THE BOOKS” What a mistake, midway thru it quickly became just dudes with amazing hair sitting around thinking about what the others were thinking about, " I KNOW HE KNOWS I KNOW BUT HE DOESN’T KNOW THAT I’M ONLY THINKING I KNOW SO AS TO OUT THINK HIM, PROVING HE DOESN’T ETC ETC"…sigh. Thank Kirby for ROM, FERAL,USAGI and KILLADELPHIA, which has kinda gone bonkers of late but when SAVAGE DRAGON,SPAWN and BLACKULA are in the same book, that’s my kinda bonkers.

5 Likes

I’m at 211.

5 Likes

Just hit 800 for the year. I’ve been re-reading the Messner-Loebs run of Wonder Woman (1987). He followed after Perez. It’s really a good run.

Bought a bunch of Spawn, The Witcher, Cyberpunk 2077, and Doctor Who graphic novels on Humble Bundle, but I am still finishing up Hellboy. So much stuff to read! It’s a great problem to have.

Need 843 by the end of the month to stay on track for 2024.

7 Likes

I thought you hit 800 4 months and 9 days ago.

7 Likes

Pretty mello week beside BENEATH THE TREES WHERE NO-ONE SEES, book of the year so far

6 Likes

I’ve changed my goal my new number to hit is 600.
I’m now at 220

6 Likes

Apparently I miscalculated some stuff. Fixed it now! I was off by twenty issues!

4 Likes

Star Wars: 45 issues from 1998-2002
Writers: Jan Strnad (6 issues), Tim Truman (16 issues), John Ostrander (18 issues), Pat Mills (4 issues), Doug Petrie (1 issue)
Reread. I like Truman’s and Ostrander’s parts of this title; the other writers… also exist.

Star Wars: Republic: 38 issues from 2002-2006
Writers: John Ostrander (27 issues, story in #50), Haden Blackman (8 issues, story in #50), Scott Allie (story in #50), Welles Hartley (2 issues)
Really just the continuation of the previous series.

Star Wars: Legacy: 51 issues from 2006-2010, plus 2 issues of Star Wars: Dark Times and 2 issues of Star Wars: Rebellion for a crossover
Writers: John Ostrander (50 issues, co-writer on 1 issue), Jan Duursema (co-plotter on 33 issues), Randy Stradley (co-writer on 1 issue), Mick Harrison (2 issues of Dark Times), Rob Williams (2 issues of Rebellion)
I want to like this book because it’s John Ostrander, but frankly, there’s just not a lot to recommend it.

Something it suffers from particularly acutely in the early stretches but never entirely recovers from either is a general lack of actually likeable characters. Cade Skywalker isn’t so bad at first because while he’s an ass, it feels like it’s on purpose to set up character development. But then, thirty or forty issues later when he hasn’t really changed despite numerous indications that he might, he’s really worn out his welcome. I do at least vaguely like some of the Jedi characters, and the Galactic Alliance admiral, Gar Stazi, is objectively awesome, but it says something that this totally new era’s selling points wind up being the factions that are pretty much the same as they are in other eras.

There are some characters I want to dissect in a bit more detail whose deals are kind of spoilers, so I’ll dropdown it.

First of all, the reason I’m even reading this is that I’d known before I even first read Republic that Darth Krayt is A’Sharad Hett. But after reading Republic, that made absolutely no sense to me. A’Sharad is one of the better characters in that book and quickly became a personal favorite. His whole deal is that people misjudge him because of his Tusken background when he’s really a very good Jedi. Having him randomly live to be like 200 years old and become a Sith Lord is, like, the complete opposite of the point of him. I don’t get it.

And then… it doesn’t matter. Oh, sure, he’s kind of an important character. We get flashbacks bridging the gap (factually, if not convincingly personality-wise) in his backstory across multiple issues. His illness and the possibility that Cade might be able to cure it drives the initial conflict. And then… he dies unceremoniously in the Vector crossover and none of it pays off. Even being A’Sharad Hett only really builds to T’ra Saa being like “Dude, that’s weird, A’Sharad wasn’t like that” and then nobody ever talking about it again, even when the last couple issues suddenly bring him back with a bunch (“millions,” according to the sequel mini where the actual end of the story happens for some reason) of super-Sith cyborg things which are somehow both mindlessly loyal and very powerful Dark Side users. None of this is foreshadowed or really connected to the rest of the plot, it’s just like “Oh, crap, we have to do a climax now! Quick, think of something big!”

It’s kind of a crappy treatment of a character I really like, and in true Maxwell Lord fashion it’s probably the thing most people know him for at this point.

Second, we’re introduced early on to the head of intelligence in the Sith-controlled Empire fragment, Moff Nyna Calixte. She apparently facilitated the Sith’s plans, intending to play them against Roan Fel to put her partner Admiral Veed on the throne and control him, but Darth Krayt became emperor instead, leaving her and Veed nominally on his side but kind of scheming against the Sith. She also apparently used to be married to some other moff and they have a kid and none of that’s especially important.

She at one point reactivates an old agent, Morrigan Corde, who she thinks is the only one she can trust because Corde retired before the Sith took power. When she hears the Sith are looking for Cade, she sends Corde to try to capture him as a bargaining chip, which goes off the rails when it bizarrely turns out that Corde is Cade’s mother, having apparently secretly married Kol Skywalker and then left. Corde helps Cade several times and lies to Moff Calixte to cover his tracks.

Okay, that’s weird, but it’s not mind-numbing yet.

Then it turns out that Moff Calixte and Morrigan Corde are the same person.

I cannot begin to tell you why she maintains this baffling double identity, but she does. Apparently. The issue that seems to be intended as a reveal just shows Calixte looking sentimentally at a hologram we’d already seen showing Corde with Kol and Cade, and then like a dozen issues later a different character suddenly mentions that Calixte is Corde in the middle of a bunch of other information the reader would already know. I even considered the idea in the first place but dismissed it because it didn’t really make sense.

And yes, she ostensibly undermines her own plans at various points, and at random other points helps the Jedi or Roan Fel, while also splitting with that Veed guy even though they seemed to pretty much be on the same page about their intentions; Calixte was the brains of the operation but didn’t want the throne for herself, and they both knew both of those things.

Anyway, it’s especially confusing because it seems Corde met Kol Skywalker, married him, had Cade, left them, assumed the Calixte identity, met Moff Whatshisface, and then had Gunner (and then divorced Moff Whatshisface and shacked up with Veed) in a narrow enough time frame that Cade and Gunner about the same age.

What is this character?!

(I double-checked, and husband #2’s name is Moff Yage, but I like “Moff Whatshisface” better.)

And further, Republic had some questionable posing and costuming choices at times, but it had some restraint… while the cheesecake factor in this book is completely out of control. It’s exhausting.

As to the non-Legacy parts of the Vector crossover, I find it hilarious that Celeste Morne doesn’t initially realize she’s talking to a Sith, given the black armor and the Dark Side and the being Darth Vader.

So… why does she not visibly age in the, like, 130 years after she gets out of stasis?

Star Wars: Legacy – War: 6 issues from 2010-2011
Writers: John Ostrander, Jan Duursema (co-plotter)

5 Likes

love this lol! yj '98 was the best

3 Likes

Now that there was a solid week! And the more non-superhero RAM V stuff I read, the more RAM V stuff I wanna read. Loved his SWAMP THING(tad biased on that)and his DETECTIVE rocks,mostly,usually, if a bit drawn out-ish, but THE MANY DEATHS OF LAILA STAR, and sofar, RARE FLAVOURS are top notch with BRIGANDS bein pretty good, held back a bit by the art.

4 Likes

Another week of print-led reading as being outside is better. Another prime example of why digital will never fully takeover and vice versa

1 Like