2023 Comic Reading Challenge

very nice :+1:

6 Likes

6 Likes

4 Likes

RICK VEITCH’S KING HELL HEROICA books took over the last two weeks. I’d love to explain why I recommend them to y’all but they’re quite hard to explain. Part comics history, part history-history, with nods to everyone and everything from Walt Disney to Oppenheimer to Kirby to Kennedy and an honest appreciation of 1950’s SUPERBOY.

4 Likes

To elaborate on the KING HELL books: there’s a scene in BOY MAXIMORTAL straight outta KUBRICK’S HOW I LEARNED… movie with Peter Sellers explaining what SUPERBOY is, George C. Scott explaining why Superboy needs to be captured/killed/controlled by the U.S.A., and J.F. Kennedy sayin, " What a minute! His Pa is an old drinking buddy from war! I’ll just go TALK to them and it’ll all be fine". There is a genuine honesty to all of VEITCH’s made-upness, minus the urge to whiz all over the silver age troupes and characters that alot of newer creators love to do. The closest comparison to this series and another would be ALAN MOORE’S run on SUPREME, but only in their respective joy of classic SUPERMAN tales. Be aware, these are B&W pure indie comics full of NSFW stuff, I wouldn’t say vulgar but that’s subject to ones opinion…Now those FAUST books, whoa nellie…take everything I just typed, change SUPERMAN with 90s EXTREME books and then reverse the flow of what came first, FAUST being the precursor to all the SPAWN’S, YOUNGBLOOD’S, this BLOOD, that BLOOD, fill-in-the-blankBLOOD titles and then add some truly oulaw, amazing B&W indie art ever, that’s FAUST. Heard of it back in the wayback day, learned of this HC from the CARTOONIST KAYFABE show, color me sold and imprressed.

4 Likes

That was one long paragraph. Heh.

4 Likes

so how many have you read so far this year?

4 Likes

I was pretty good with doin these quarterly reports, kinda slacked tho’. I would guess at, say, on average 28 a week for 43 weeks, that’s, like, a whole bunch? Or, as the lovely wife would say, to dang many…plus 2 more.

5 Likes

72 for October and 798 in total.
Warlord 18-21

The Dark Knight Returns 4 issues

Wonder Woman 35-50

Wonder Woman Annual 2

Green Lantern 3

Sandman 1

Batman and Scooby-Doo Mysteries 12

Hawkman 1-25

Flash 1

Hawkgirl 4

JSA 56-58

JSA Classified 25-28

JLA/JSA Secret Files

Virue and Vice

Knight Terrors 6 issues

5 Likes

First time reading this? :laughing:

5 Likes

4 Likes

Ive fallen behind on WARLORD, have the stories gotten better with the added pages?

4 Likes

nice :+1: :batman:

5 Likes

There are no added pages. Still 17.

4 Likes

I think if your in to it your in to it if your not your not

5 Likes

5 Likes

Still reading my omnibuses. Golden Age Wonder Woman volume 5 is on order and I’ll slowly savor reading that.

Also reading Fall of X.

1,675 for the year, not including omnibuses. On track to meet 2,023.

4 Likes

So more Wonder Woman Reaction shots coming up?
S149

5 Likes

I’ll see what I can do.

6 Likes

6 Likes