2023 Comic Reading Challenge

Over 400 to date (I will add in the Conan omnibus all at once when I finish it). Well ahead of schedule.

Some great Kickstarter comics, listed at top without a publisher. Red Sonja has been particularly good lately. Knights of the Dinner Table hit issues 300 and 301 and is now the longest running comic written by the same author (passing Cerebus).

Still also reading Richie Rich digests. They bring my right back to the early 80’s reading in the bow of my grandparent’s boat gently rocking at the dock up in Rangley, Maine. Good memories.

6 Likes

4 Likes

Went to a hotel comic-con today with the goal of pickin up some non-digitalized books. Scored some more BLACKHAWKs, bronze age STEEL(now complete), and some assorted FREEDOM FIGHTERS,SHADE by DITKO plus some odds n ends. Cheap books,good crowd, fun time.

5 Likes

L.E.G.I.O.N. ’89: 10 issues from, uh, 1989, hence the, um, yeah
Writers: Keith Giffen (plotter), Alan Grant (scripter)
I’ve been dreading this because this is way more Alan Grant in a row than I’m emotionally prepared to handle.

So, wait, I feel like I came into the middle of this. Guess it must’ve spun out of Invasion somewhere, and I just wasn’t paying any attention when that happened. Anyway, why are these characters who apparently bumbled into each other by chance all obvious direct predecessors of Legionnaires? Well, other than Stealth and whatever the whiny pointy-haired guy’s name is. But, like, in the Bedard series, Brainiac 2 is directly ripping ideas from Brainiac 5 due to time travel shenanigans. Here, he seems to have just… happened upon proto-Shadow Lass, proto-Blok, and if I recall correctly, the Durlan isn’t even proto-Chameleon Boy, he’s literally R.J. Brande.

I… huh. I guess I didn’t realize Lobo’s obsession with space dolphins predated 52.

Wait… Strata’s speech patterns are getting increasingly informal, and with the shorts and all… Hm. Egotistical/possibly-evil genius, markedly stabler woman with sneaky powers to visually conceal things, main enemy is a dictator of a sort… all we need is somebody to be on fire, and this is a Fantastic Four book. (Can we light pointy hair guy on fire?)

And there’s an entire evil drug planet, because it’s an Alan Grant book.

But no, seriously, I was mostly joking by calling Bek “the whiny pointy-haired guy,” but this book is shaping up to be about 67% Bek complaining about things by wordcount. Does he contribute any useful skills to this team, by the way? He seems to just be a random nobody in the middle of all these superpowered aliens.

Stealth’s whole deal is… grosser than I’m willing to talk about in detail, but decidedly not okay on any level. Like… I guess I’m going to keep reading this, but guys, for this character alone, I’m going to do something I can’t recall ever doing in this thread before and caution you to just not read this book.

L.E.G.I.O.N. ’90: 13 issues from, from, like, see, it says “’90” in the title because it’s 1990-
Writers: Keith Giffen (plotter on 2 issues), Alan Grant (10 issues, scripter on 2 issues), Barry Kitson (co-plotter on 6 issues)
When they were talking about a mysterious artifact they found on a derelict ship, I was all “With the way this series runs, it’ll randomly be the Persuader’s axe or something equally absurd.”

It was the Emerald Eye of Ekron.

Why is there so much Legion stuff just bumping into each other a thousand years early for no reason?

The book sort of leads you to think that Vril’s “You’re actually doing pretty well as acting leader! Gold star, keep it up!” attitude towards Lyrissa is part of some long-term scheme, but then instead he just suddenly changes his mind and goes back to micromanaging.

Why does a group which to date has no human members play poker? Like, with regular earth French-suited cards?

I’ve now seen two different books by three different writers within four years of each other feature a plot point where an overweight woman is possessed by the Emerald Eye and immediately slims down to look more conventionally attractive. Once was uncomfortable. I don’t even know how to process twice.

Eye geyet eyet. Theye weyerd “eye” sounds (… seyends? … No, too far) like otheyer weyerds! You can stop now!

L.E.G.I.O.N. ’91: 13 issues, and- and- y’know, they’re from, like, yeah, you get it by now
Writers: Alan Grant (12 issues, co-writer on 1 issue), Barry Kitson (co-plotter on 9 issues), Keith Giffen (co-writer on 1 issue)
“The Durlan” being Brande is hilarious, but also, I don’t suppose we’re going to learn how and why he was transported to the future?

Okay, I like Dox as a character in a the-fact-that-he’s-terrible-is-the-point kind of way, but I think literally torturing a baby might be a little far. Also, this entire age-up plot with Lydea Mallor is weird as hell.

Uh, so, like, okay, context. In regular future-Legion, Shadow Lass, Tasmia Mallor, is the Shadow Champion of Talok VIII, a hereditary position that’s existed for a long time. In the Great Darkness Saga, Darkseid summoned up a bunch of minions who were some sort of clones or copies of people who’d opposed him in the past; most of them people we know, but one a previously unmentioned prior Talokite Shadow Champion named Lydea Mallor. Tasmia’s reaction to this suggests she’s an important figure, but we don’t learn much about her. This was in like 1983. So, here in this book, Lyrissa Mallor is the current Shadow Champion, and Lydea is first referenced as her infant daughter. I kinda liked this; it was the one indication that not every single important person in history was an exact contemporary of all the Earth heroes.

So, Grant (and I’m not sure if I’d be more or less confused by this if Giffen—who was also co-plotting on Great Darkness in the first place—had still been involved) has the Computer Tyrants of Colu (in their new “Mr. Starr” body, and don’t think for a second I have any clue why they’re doing any of this) kidnap Lydea, brainwash her to violently hate her mother, and artificially age her up. And put her in a weirdly skimpy outfit, so you’ve got aged-up infant Lydea running around in a glorified swimsuit and her actual-adult mother Lyrissa actually dressing sensibly; go figure. Anyway, Lydea actually kills Lyrissa (makes sense; she was actually likeable and interesting and a narratively important counterbalance to Dox), but she gets captured. So, Dox figures that since she was brainwashed using torture, torture is the best way to deprogram her! And presumably this is going to somehow work and Lydea will take her mother’s place in the main cast.

I hate this book.

Anyway, shoutout to the Khunds just… having the Death Star. Phase and Telepath are sent to retrieve the plans. Quote: “Blueprints--tapes--micros--it’s all here!” Secret plans for a planet-destroying superweapon built by an interstellar empire being kept on microfiche and paper blueprints seems… a little low-tech, even for something written in 1991.

Bek’s already-insane haircut has mutated into just a straight column of hair extending directly up and down with no visible part or reason it should maintain this shape. It’s… like… some kind of enlarged buzz-mullet? But, like… maybe with a horizontal part on the back of his head directly behind the ears? You know, I guess if my head looked like a broken paintbrush, I’d probably complain a lot too.

I am trying not to directly acknowledge this plot (despite it being the thread that just won’t die and eventually spawns—wait, poor choice of words—generates an entire spin-off), but I have to say that I am sick to death of Stealth’s hypocritical, victim-blaming, holier-than-thou moralizing.

L.E.G.I.O.N. ’92: 14 issues
Writers: Alan Grant (5 issues), Barry Kitson (9 issues, co-plotter on 5 issues)
Here’s a fun question: The L.E.G.I.O.N. symbol is a hand with rays of light bursting out from between the fingers, right? Is there or is there not a ray on the outside of the thumb?

Here, this image might help:

I assume there are supposed to be six rays to symbolize six founding members, but that’s pure conjecture at this point.

Grant’s run ends on a “team disbands for a bit” arc that… might’ve been sort of compelling if the rest of the book were good? But I’m not really all that invested in seeing them go on.

Kitson’s main arc as solo writer involves a very… odd understanding of what viruses are. I’ll give you one hint: They’re a good bit bigger than a water molecule.

Shoutout to all the very earth-focused crossovers that nevertheless hijack L.E.G.I.O.N.’s annuals anyway with minimal explanation.

L.E.G.I.O.N. ’93: 15 issues
Writers: Barry Kitson (1 issue, plotter on 1 issue, co-plotter on 8 issues, co-plotter on main story in 1 issue), Mark Waid (10 issues, scripter on 1 issue, main story in 1 issue), Alan Grant (1 issue, backup in 1 issue), Tom Peyer (1 issue)
Normally I’d be excited to see Mark Waid take over a bad book, but, like, a Legion-related book by the same minds behind the Threeboot? That’s not so exciting. I wonder if Dox will suddenly be a nice and functional person, Captain Comet will suddenly be an alien from a planet of telekinetics who prefers to be called Captain Not-Comet, Lobo will actually have been the only Czarnian the whole time, and L.E.G.I.O.N. will suddenly adopt “Get off my lawn, whippersnapper!” as a catchphrase.

So… Dox doesn’t want his kid to turn out like he did after being raised by a cruel homicidal monster, so he… gives the poor thing back to Stealth. Again, it’s in some ways sort of incredible that Vril is the less morally reprehensible of Lyrl’s two parents, and yet it’s so blatantly the case that I cannot fathom how the comic doesn’t understand it.

They use triplicate in space? In 1993? … I guess they apparently use triplicate in space in 2993, but you could excuse that by saying it’s “triplicate” as in “duplicate” but three instead of two. She’s not even triplicate colors. Almost, but not quite, which always bugged me a little.

So… the Bouncing Boy knockoff they rejected like two years earlier is from an entire planet of Bouncing Boys? What, Mark, aren’t you going to have him insist that they call him “Deflating Lad?”

L.E.G.I.O.N. ’94: 10 issues
Writer: This travesty is now solely Tom Peyer’s fault
why is this entire title suddenly about a talking baby

an evil talking baby

(I’m not referring to Lydea, though she also talks, and is evil now—due to mind control, at least—and is a baby.)

Also, Phase is randomly Tinya’s cousin instead of Tinya. I… guess this must’ve been so that she could stay with L.E.G.I.O.N. while actual-Tinya wound up alive again in the reboot, but then the reboot (a) killed actual Tinya; and (b) made Phase Tinya (sort of) anyway. Incredible.

The last annual… broke me. So, the main story is an unfunny James Bond parody that doesn’t go anywhere. Whatever. One of the backups, though, bills itself as “a retelling of the most disgusting event in L.E.G.I.O.N. history” and ain’t kidding; it’s the thing with Stealth that I’ve been straining to not directly describe. Only, now it’s done up in a cutesy Silver-Age-Legion-parody style. The substance isn’t different, it’s just mocking substantially better and more mature Silver Age stories in between the same sordid events and Stealth is dressed like Saturn Girl (leave imra alone, please and thank you). And literally drawn by Curt Swan while basically ■■■■■■■■ all over his work. It’s every bit as disturbing as the original story while also being insulting to, just… everyone. Except the people who came up with the original horrible plot point, which they seem to be proud of.

What were they thinking?

(That’s even before we get to the vaguely transphobic Batman parody they inflicted on Dick Sprang. Guys, this issue is bad.)

L.E.G.I.O.N. Annual #5 is, easily and without a doubt, the absolute single worst comic issue I have ever read. I sincerely hope neither you nor I ever again encounters its like.

Mon-El (sorry, “Valor”): 23 issues from 1992-1994
Writers: Robert Loren Fleming (9 issues), Mark Waid (10 issues), Kurt Busiek (4 issues)

Um, anyway, I was kind of expecting the start of a new ongoing to, you know, feel like the beginning of something, not just perfunctory crossover cleanup.

Anyway, this is a lot of pagecount of Lar just screwing around with this spaceship that… I guess Lex Luthor just decided to pay for him to build for some reason.

So, Dox randomly gets Lar arrested, that’s a thing. It’s in “Starlag II,” presumably a replacement for the one the L.E.G.I.O.N. founders broke out of in the first place, so that’s a thing even though you’d think they wouldn’t be aligned with L.E.G.I.O.N. The warden, “Kanjar Ru,” seems to be a member of Kanjar-Ro’s species but being a female character in a bad early ‘90s comic book naturally looks like… well, a female character in a bad early ‘90s comic book. And one of the other prisoners has been here for “decades” even though the original Starlag was only like an in-universe year or so ago at most, so… lots of things are things about this story.

I forgot this “Blasters” team existed, but they kind of ring a bell from Invasion. That said, they’re really annoying. And also led by Snapper Carr.

Why does Lar, a Daxamite from Daxam, have to explain “Earth slang” to an AI designed on earth by humans?

Waid wrangles this thing into having more of a plot than Fleming allowed it, but at the expense of an already-fragile continuity. It’s particularly bizarre how the SW6 clone Legion from the Legionnaires title is just treated as if they were the only and original Legion both here and in their own title, despite the actual original Legion still existing and having the main Legion book. Like, there are several different plots which make no sense with the younger group’s backstory and yet just flatly refuse to acknowledge that fact.

Or, like, here, they tell Dragonmage “You know Valor from his days as a Legionnaire!” Um, technically true, I think, but those “days” were about five minutes ago.

Wait… is this all an extended exercise in retconning the clone Lar into the original-ish one’s place? Oh, for god’s sake.

Dare I even ask how this Krinn Magar guy relates to Jason Krinnski? Here’s the other problem with constantly obsessing over everyone’s present-day ancestors.

Anyway, then it flies off into baffling Zero Hour tie-ins. Whee.

7 Likes

Looking at my 2023 list above, I had to add a new comment. I am reading a lot more comics than I did last year. I have given myself permission to just read and enjoy whatevet floats my boat. This has been awesome. I have experienced some wonderful reads this year because I am not allowing anxiety take over in terms of what I read. I also am not asking a bunch of people for recommendations on what I should read. I have realized when I do that, it is largely to stop myself from reading anything. I’m not doing that and now just reading. It is very liberating.

4 Likes

I have a question does manga count if so, do we go by chapters or volumes??

7 Likes

Chapter I guess.

6 Likes

R.E.B.E.L.S. ’94: 3 issues
Writer: Tom Peyer
Oh, good! More of this wretched, loathsome little book! I cannot believe the Bedard book from the 2000s is actually good somehow.

Something more to do with the last year of L.E.G.I.O.N.: Phase’s backstory, now that it exists, makes no sense. Like, the powers weren’t the only thing pointing to Tinya; she was also wearing a costume already when she showed up, along with what’s clearly a Legion transuit. Enya, ostensibly a civilian, would have no reason to be in either of those things.

Stealth’s hypocrisy soars to staggering heights, and the plot is ultimately just a big “Grr, rarr, you can’t make the Hard Choices™” argument so far. Yawn.

R.E.B.E.L.S. ’95: 12 issues
Frankly, after the bottomless insanity of the concluding stretch of L.E.G.I.O.N., I expected… well… new insanity, anyway. But much of the last year or so of L.E.G.I.O.N. and this entire book are just one painfully overextended arc. Like, I could say that Lyrl is too bizarre to take seriously, or that the attempts at making Vril more sympathetic instead render him much more annoying than he was when he was supposed to be a prick, or that I hate Stealth. But, like, most of that’s not news.

Oh, Lydea’s already fairly ridiculous hair is turning into Bek’s, that’s something.

I- Wait- Is Peyer seriously now trying to sell us on an actual romance between Dox and Stealth??? Even setting aside the elephant in the room, and we should probably not set aside the elephant in the room, they have done nothing but hate each other for the entire book. In Dox’s case, with the absolute best of reasons.

R.E.B.E.L.S. ’96: 3 issues
Okay, the backstory for that weird ship they’ve been messing around with the whole time… that’s new as well. And a completely nonsensical tangent which… seems to be trying to imply that all life started as identifiably human brains grown as biotech? Um… okay, Peyer, whatever you say.

If that doesn’t make sense out of context, don’t worry. It doesn’t make sense in context.

They also just suddenly unwind the Enya reveal in the last issue of this series, less than two years after it happened. It’s amazingly abrupt. “Hey, do you remember when we figured out who you were, about five minutes ago?” “No.” “Oh, okay.”

Well, now that we’re done, I have one important compliment to pay this run and series: It ended.

6 Likes

Oh, hey! I accidentally left a bunch of potentially more promising things off my reading list. Starting with…

Legion of Substitute Heroes: oneshot from 1985
Writers: Paul Levitz & Keith Giffen
One or two questionable—or maybe I should say off-color—jokes aside, this was… refreshing after all that L.E.G.I.O.N. nonsense.

Though if I’d read it first, I would’ve had the perfect reaction image for, just, everything about L.E.G.I.O.N.:

Timber Wolf: 5 issues from 1992 to 1993
Writer: Al Gordon
Why is this here? Why am I reading it?

Man, though, I’m not sure this is in-character. Usually when Legionnaires show up in the present, they’re supposed to be all “Foolish primitive savages, the very air you breathe befouls my superior lungs” at everybody.

You know what this book could use? More grid tolerance. I have no idea what grid tolerance is, but Gordon loves to have people talk about increasing it.

Inferno: 4 issues from 1997-1998
Writer: Stuart Immonen
Um, why does this character have a solo series? She’s not even a Legionnaire, she’s just an annoying tagalong from the insufferable reboot “stuck in the past” arc. Which, joy of all joys, this is effectively a expansion of.

For that matter, why does this character’s solo series consist entirely of moody teenagers snapping at each other in a mall? And… Sandy hallucinating talking to a panda that symbolizes her memories. That happens several times too.

Legends of the Legion: 4 issues from 1998
Writers: Barry Kitson (plotter), Tom Peyer (scripter)
… Oh. Great. Exactly the names I wanted to see again here.

Anyway, are… are the Subs little kids all of a sudden? Why? Wait, never mind. It’s the Reboot. “Why” doesn’t really have a place in the Reboot.

Speaking of “why” not having a place in the Reboot and Kitson and Peyer being insane, check out the update to Ultra Boy’s origin! He didn’t just get powers because he was swallowed by a space whale, he got powers because he was stuck in there so long he started eating bits of its stomach from the inside to stay alive. No, no, this is the light, fun era of Legion, we swear.

Wait, at first I wasn’t seeing Polar Boy or Night Girl in the inexplicable Baby Subs, which made sense because they cameoed earlier in the “tryouts” arc. But now there is a Baby Night Girl. I blame Glorith for this.

Lightning Lass’s (sorry, “Spark’s”) whole thing is… baffling. So, Winath had been established as having a superstition/prejudice about single births, but this seems to escalate it to not even being seen in public without your twin, I guess so that Ayla can be extra angsty about Garth leaving? Like, even the other high school kids seem to date in sibling pairs. (And yet the Ranzzes’ parents’ twins are nowhere to be found.) Also, they’re all identical twins. While Garth and Ayla look quite similar (except when the artist doesn’t care, but Jeffrey Moy’s actually pretty good about this point), they are demonstrably not identical. The presidents (which are of course two identical twin brothers) even finish each other’s sentences while giving speeches. Like, guys, it’s not Cargg. They put some weight on the twin thing, but they are in fact separate people.

I love how the Reboot was like “What should we do with Tasmia? I know! We should make her insufferable!” and then every subsequent timeline, including the Retroboot, was like “That sounds like a capital idea!” She didn’t have much personality Preboot, but “Is a needlessly combative pain in the butt” was not an improvement.

Titans/Legion of Super-Heroes: Universe Ablaze: 4 issues from 2000
Writer: Dan Jurgens
Shoutout the Titans showing up in the future and deciding their immediate priority is to hit on as many people as possible. They get it; it wouldn’t be Legion without really random shipping.

There’s a scene where Karate Kid has these armblade things, and he spars against and seemingly kills a masked opponent who turns out to be okay because it’s Mon-El (sorry, “Valor” (sorry, “M’onel”)). I bring this up because… I swear I’ve seen this scene before. Like, down to the same weirdly-shaped weapons. I didn’t even know this book existed before yesterday, so I don’t think it was this version of it that I saw. Was it… somewhere in Jim Shooter’s Threeboot stuff, maybe?

So… Universo is Imra’s cousin, and apparently such an OP-nerf-plx telepath that he almost broke Titan just by being born (And not a minute earlier! Nice of him to wait, I guess). So, here’s question number one…

What is with all the evil babies recently???

(I mean, he’s not a baby now, but still.)

Legion Worlds (or I guess maybe “Legiln Worlds,” depending on how you parse the logo): 6 issues from 2001
Writers: Dan Abnett (co-writer on all main stories, all backups), Andy Lanning (co-writer on all main stories)
Once again, it doesn’t really even make sense if Winathians treat someone whose twin is missing or dead the same way they do someone who was a single birth in the first place. Do people only ever die in pairs on Winath?

Anyway, in some ways this gives context to stuff that kind of came up out of nowhere in the post-Legion Lost book. But for the most part, the gist was pretty obvious there, so this all seems almost a little unnecessary. And six double-length issues is pretty long for “a little unnecessary.” I really have extremely little to actually say about it.

Anyway, now it’s… oh. Back to R.E.B.E.L.S., I guess.

But I think a substantially less bad version of it at least???

7 Likes

R.E.B.E.L.S.: 29 issues from 2009-2011
Writer: Tony Bedard
Already reviewed this, but some more comments for the sake of argument.

Let’s see… wasn’t expecting Brainiac 2 insulting and ignoring Brainiac 5 to be as satisfying now that I actually care about Brainiac 5, but then I remembered this is Threeboot Brainy and he still has it coming.

This is a weird premise. It’s kind of redundant with the original R.E.B.E.L.S., and Brainy 5’s role would make a lot more sense in relation to founding L.E.G.I.O.N. in the first place. I could be way off-base, but I now get the sense Bedard wanted to reboot the concept, was told no, and made the best of what he had to work with.

I still can’t believe how lame humanoid Starro is. If you’re not prepared to deal with your villain being a giant starfish, why are you using Starro?

I mean, come on, man. Look at this. Show me a primate that’s scarier than this guy.

Did you know that the technical term for starfish is “asteroid?” Starfish and space were meant for each other. #justiceforgiantstarfishstarro

You know, having read the old series, I have more appreciation for how hard this one works to integrate a lot of different existing space stuff into a coherent setting. Like, it makes much better use of things that are supposed to be from the 21st Century rather than just seeing how many things it can copy from the 31st.

Bedard does also make a pretty effective job of keeping the better characters while ignoring or quickly killing off most of the problematic ones, other than the fact that Lyrl still exists. Though interestingly there’s an oblique implication that he’s not Brainiac 5’s ancestor, which doesn’t really matter but is petty enough to amuse me. Basically, Brainiac 5 seems partially concerned that he won’t be born if 2 dies, even though 3 is already out there and… a teenager somehow? No clue how that many years have passed, but at least he’s not an evil baby anymore.

Garryn Bek isn’t here other than a brief namedrop (like I said, Bedard is pretty thorough about cutting the bad characters, while letting enough of the good-to-passable ones at least have a minor role that I feel like that’s probably intentional), but his hair sort of lives on with Astrild Stormdaughter. Only at least hers has the courtesy to only go in one direction, so it actually might be physically possible… with a loooot of gel.

A question which has bedeviled me for weeks now: Is kono juice literal fruit juice, space soda, or space coffee?

Also, I forgot how this book has some of the least bad Blackfire content DC has ever done (not that I dislike Blackfire, but rather she’s always wasted). Bedard at least seems to have decent taste most of the time, even if some of his work is a little bland. Except for whatever is going on with the Psions. That’s, like, maybe not as bad as the worst excesses of the original title, but it wouldn’t have seemed out-of-place either.

… … … is Brainiac 5 also descended from Blackfire? This still wouldn’t matter (except that this ship, while random, is hilarious), except… does Brainy then potentially have a claim to the Tamaranean throne?

he can even fly, sort of

7 Likes

This week I read 101 comics. My grand total is now 1010.

7 Likes

429 year to date.

Tried Justice League (2018) but couldn’t get into it.

Read Zatanna Seven Soldiers and it was good.

550 page of Conan omnibus 10 done, only 400 more to go!

6 Likes

Then good to stop. I have quit serieses where somebody would have to pay me to keep reading.

5 Likes

Legion: Secret Origin: 6 issues from 2011-2012
Writer: Paul Levitz
Well, given the constraints of “Keep everything canon, but also write a new origin at the same time, without replacing the original origin,” this is about as serviceable as it could be expected to be. A little unnecessary, and it had to lob in at least one baffling ship, so mark that off your bingo cards, but otherwise it’s not bad.

Okay, looks like the only other things are the Convergence and Future State tie-ins, which are from big sprawling complicated events that I don’t feel like getting into now, so I’m going to proclaim myself done even though I’m technically not.

Now that I’ve gone through, well, 820 issues on a single subject in a little over a month, I feel like I should have some thoughts in summary.

• If you’re into Silver Age stuff, Legion has some of the best I’ve read. There’s just so much more going on than there is in most contemporary books. It still runs on Silver Age logic, but both the Siegel/Hamilton era and the Shooter era are very good.

• A big chunk of the ‘70s isn’t on DCUI, so, like, the Cary Bates era in particular is kind of a blind spot for me. But I will say that while some stories and stretches and ideas are better than others, just about anything by Paul Levitz is definitely worth giving a read. Except maybe the Cosmic Boy miniseries. That’s not even bad, it’s just boring.

• Gerry Conway’s run (1979-1981, so it’s kind of in the middle of the general Levitz era but long enough to be independently significant) is pretty underrated, playing with a lot of setting stuff and character arcs that feed into some of the better material from later eras. Also, he introduced Blok, who is at minimum the most criminally underrated Legionnaire.

• ‘80s team books have a certain distinctive feel to them that’s hard to put my finger on. I assume it’s because they’re all trying to be Claremont’s X-Men, I just haven’t read that to be sure. But Levitz/Giffen Legion is probably the best example of that era/genre/movement that I have read; it’s like the good elements of New Teen Titans without any of the weird baggage. Two arcs that stand out in my memory as favorites are The Universo Project (despite being a bit of a retread of a Silver Age story) and the arc with the conspiracy to kill the Time Trapper and Chameleon Boy infiltrating Starfinger II’s crime syndicate (these two threads aren’t related but happen concurrently; Starfinger II and his backstory are dumb, but the plot itself is good, as is the other thread). So, I guess shoutout to 1987-88?

• Moving on to the ‘90s, we get the Five Years Later era, which I have such mixed feelings about. It’s all grim-n-gritty, it has a bunch of insane choices like Garth having secretly been Proty the whole time, it’s almost entirely presented in nine-panel grids, it’s tremendously confusing, speaking of which a lot of it revolves around Glorith who sucks, and it’s just really mean to certain characters like poor Sun Boy. But… man it has good ideas sometimes. Like, it’s a chore to read but makes you want to rewrite a better version of it, maybe. There’s a really good story somewhere under the cruft. I’m trying to figure out if it’s because it has four co-writers (Keith Giffen, Tom and Mary Bierbaum, and Al Gordon) for so much of it, but at this point I’ve given up trying to figure out who to credit or blame for various developments. Well, the stuff most obviously Gordon-related is usually insane, but he was on notably fewer issues than the others.

• (That said, that’s only the main Legion title that I like enough to consider my feelings mixed. L.E.G.I.O.N., Valor, and pre-Zero Hour Legionnaires from the same era are all categorically horrible. The present-day stuff is a mess, and the future stuff is basically all off-the-rails once Earth explodes.)

• Man, I was so ready to like the post-Zero Hour reboot (‘90s stretch of it mostly by Tom McCraw, Tom Peyer, and Roger Stern in various combinations, but Mark Waid was on the first year or so). I like some ideas or character beats or issues here and there. But it just… it’s hard to describe. It’s like it’s actively trying to make everything annoying or out-of-place or counterintuitive. Like, they were worried about not just retreading the original timeline, so they went all-in on changing everything they could think of. Plus, a bunch of characters are just given really obnoxious personalities. Reboot Brainiac 5 is somehow not the worst Brainy, but I can’t stand him.

• Abnett and Lanning pick it up from this group, and once again, I wanted to like them. But all they seem to know how to do is break things. Their run is just a nonstop chain of apocalypses, with random breaks to turn Element Lad evil and hype up Timber Wolf.

• Somehow, the writing quality continues to be in freefall with the transition to the Threeboot. Waid and Kitson were, I guess, just trying to do the Legion without anything actually interesting in it. Also, shoutout to one-upping the worst Brainy with an even worse one.

• Jim Shooter’s third run (he left and came back somewhere in the ‘70s) is baffling in a lot of ways, but honestly, I… think it was the first run in well over a decade to actually be better than the one before it. If only barely.

• The Legion has been rebooted and retconned a bunch of times, but the Threeboot is the first time I’ve seen a run just straight-up bullied out of continuity. Geoff Johns seems to have just arbitrarily started writing something vaguely resembling a pre-Five Years Later version of the original timeline and refused to listen to anyone else until DC gave into his star power and canonized it. Like, it’s just so obvious and rude if you look at the timeline. Johns’ Legion-related arcs are, frankly, kind of a mess of garbled continuity that doesn’t make sense if you don’t know Legion and still doesn’t make sense if you do know Legion.

• That said, Levitz’s… third run, I guess, is… a considerable improvement in most respects, I’ll say? Earth-Man is awful, but when the narrative’s not focusing on him or he’s dead, it’s usually pretty coherent. The best stuff is probably the Legion Academy-focused Adventure Comics arc before Flashpoint, but the main Legion book is also probably a highlight of the New 52 lineup, honestly. Low bar, but there you go. We don’t talk about Legion Lost, though. Either version, but I mean the 2011 one in this case. Overall, the Retroboot is most obviously competing with Five Years Later, since they’re both roughly continuations of the same ‘80s status quo. Retroboot isn’t half as ambitious as 5YL, but the safer approach somewhat mitigates the damage it can cause most of the time. A ringing endorsement, I know.

• I don’t even know what to say about the Bendis stuff. It’s so… insubstantial. And where there is any substance, it seems to be taking a lot of at least general stylistic cues from the Threeboot, which was already terrible.

6 Likes

Okay, psych, it’s only four more issues, and the worst that’ll happen is I’ll be kind of confused.

Convergence: Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes: 2 issues from 2015
Writer: Stuart Moore
Yeah, this “present superperson treats the Legion era like a fantasy world” trope has come up more than once, and it’s annoying me. I mean, 2000s Kara’s characterization was already so off the rails I can’t even figure out if that was on point for that version of her in the Threeboot, but it’s really unlike Clark here that it would take sitting around in future Metropolis without powers for a year to start seeing them as people. And also kind of odd that this somehow prompts him to make out with Ayla.

Anyway, I’ve never read any of the other Convergence books, and I can already tell this one is painfully formulaic.

Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes: 2 issues from 2021
Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Sigh. Okay.

Bendis is real proud of this “Planet Gotham” idea, isn’t he?

Most versions of Imra: “I don’t mess around in people’s heads without permission.”

Also most versions of Imra, five minutes later: “I have to mess around in his head without permission! It’s our only hope and/or personally convenient for me at this moment!”

Bendis’s Imra: “You are all being passively brainwashed by my very presence, and not only am I okay with that, I will mind control you at the drop of a hat. I’m a hero!”

“Also, I have a hat shaped like a football with a big green skull on it for no apparent reason!”

Oh, good, Jan’s evil again. This continuity is like trying to pack every bad decision in Legion history into one little package.

Oh, and the Subs are evil now. This just gets better and better.

Bendis’s kinda scatterbrained writing can be fun sometimes, but it gets hard to follow with a large cast, and really hard to follow when the art is terrible.

You know, all of these books mention “the Horraz” as some kind of threat very frequently but never who or what “the Horraz” are. I mean, they’re hostile aliens, but that’s all we really have to work with.

Wait, actually, never mind, Jan was framed! Yay! The entire population of Trom (which is alive, apparently) didn’t spontaneously become evil tyrants! I wonder who could have framed them for these horrible deeds!

… Oh. I guess it’s because the entire population of Titan spontaneously became evil tyrants. Grand.

… … … I really, really hate Bendis’s Legion stuff.

8 Likes

46 for March so far.
JSA 23-44

JSA Secret Files and Origins 2

Stargirl 4

Catwoman and Wildcat 4 issues

JSA All-Stars 8 issues

Justice Society (2022) 3

Green Lantern 1

Flash 110

Shazam (due it beign a backup I think it is effectively 7 issues).

6 Likes

Im gonna read that annual NOW, because that’s sadly how my brain rolls. It’s why I own a copy I f REDNECK ZOMBIES

4 Likes

5 Likes

Think the new 2023 goal, alongside read more manga, is to track down DC IMPLOSION books. The ones I got from the hotel-convention have been gonzo fun and cheaper than most books coming out in Wednesdays.

5 Likes

I read this book a couple of years ago on the subject of the DC Implosion:

5 Likes