2022 Comic Reading Challenge

Reign in Hell: 4 issues from 2009
Writer: Keith Giffen
So… that… went… nowhere at all. Huh.

Like… there were some neat ideas, I guess, but I really don’t care which demon gets to be in charge of Hell. I mean, maybe a little, in that Neron is more interesting than Satanus or Blaze, but, well, whoops.

Justice League of America: 13 issues from 1985, plus 1 of Infinity Inc. for a crossover
Writers: Gerry Conway (11 issues), Kurt Busiek (1 issue), Dan Mishkin (1 issue), Roy Thomas (1 issue of Infinity Inc.)
Wow, I know chest emblems on superheroes are kind of played out, but bold of Vixen to rock a butt emblem.

You know, I’m not sure whether that makes it easier or harder to believe her costume was designed by someone in the fashion industry.

Oh my god, Aquaman didn’t even wait for the others to get back from Earth-Two before somehow inexplicably firing them?

“Hey, Arthur.”

“Oh, uh, greetings, Princess Diana.”

“So, I was trying to teleport up to the JLA satellite because it’s my turn for monitor duty-”

“Yes, um, there’s, ah, there’s no satellite anymore.”

“… What happened?”

“Look, it was this whole thing with Martians, it’s dealt with.”

“So… should I take the robot plane up there to help rebuild?”

“Well, I sort of decided… not to.”

“… You decided not to.”

“Well, there were Martians invading and you didn’t show up, so I did the only logical thing!”

“Namely?”

“Fire most of the League, move to Detroit, and start recruiting teenagers.”

“Arthur, I am going to endeavor to be polite in the name of not creating a diplomatic incident. Would you… mind kindly explaining why you thought this was a good or even remotely defensible idea?”

“Well, I thought the Justice League should be people who can show up for emergencies, so I wanted it to be only members who can be on-call full-time. So, to improve response times and roster flexibility, I summarily fired everyone but Ralph and Zatanna. Don’t judge me, you weren’t there!”

“Well, yes, Clark, Barry, and I got kidnapped by a powerful extradimensional being that was looking to fight the Justice League.”

“Ha! I sure showed that guy. By the time he got you, you weren’t the Justice League.”

“And now, when a powerful extradimensional being wants to fight the Justice League, he’ll kidnap…”

“Vibe and Steel! Genius, right?”

“… … … I wonder if the Outsiders are recruiting.”

(Also, shoutout to Zatanna, the actual chairwoman, actually going along with this coup.)

In addition to this hilarity, the Mad Maestro arc also expects you to find a keytar intimidating.

And man, it winds up taking them less than a year to have a nostalgic throwback issue to the original team. I feel like that’s a bad sign for the new version. Said issue opens on two scientists who are named as Fred and Daphne, but when it comes to a villain, it doesn’t have the common courtesy to use, like, Shaggy Man.

On this Infinity Inc. issue, god, Todd MacFarlane must’ve been bored. Not that I blame him, given the, uh, Roy Thomas of it all, but he’s going nuts on the layouts.

Still a better “Final Crisis” than Morrison’s, though.

5 Likes

Secret Six: 12 issues from 2009
Writer: Gail Simone
you know, i can think of one thing that would’ve made reign in hell’s plot a lot easier on all the human-type people

Anyway, it’s, like… there are entertaining bits in this. As a very dark comedy, it sort of holds up. But it’s also very committed to the fact that the main cast are all irredeemably terrible people. The “Faces of Evil” issue is narrated by one of the core protagonists. Like, the “Get Out of Hell Free Card” wouldn’t be a useful MacGuffin if they weren’t. So, it’s kind of hard to get invested in the overall plot.

I mean, I guess Junior is arguably sort of mostly ostensibly worse than most of them, but… not by enough that it’s especially motivating.

Incidentally, there’s a pretty convincing argument that Elizabeth Báthory was railroaded for political reasons. Just throwing that one out there.

But, anyway, imagine you’re in private with friends, and you get into this snowballing series of jokes that are hilarious at the time, but in hindsight aren’t quite as funny as they seemed, and would be a little embarrassing in public in one way or another (not necessarily offensively so, but that’s certainly one way this can happen). I’d imagine we’ve all had some kind of conversation like that.

This title is that conversation, in public, being embarrassing.

Justice League of America: 12 issues from 1986
Writers: Gerry Conway (10 issues), J.M. DeMatteis (2 issues)
I don’t have as much to say about this year, other than that it’s actually a marked improvement over the early parts of the Detroit era. It’s still a kind of weak roster, but I feel like it’s now more self-aware. Like, not in a self-parodying way, but it’s taking a more “underdog” angle as an actual premise. Plus, Aquaman’s gone, Steel’s baggage isn’t taking up so much space, Vibe has become merely annoying instead of insufferable, and Gypsy (who’s my favorite of this crop from a perspective of later appearances) is getting fleshed out a bit beyond “mysterious.” (Vixen was never really a major problem child and continues to be probably the least ill-advised of the new members.)

And I already read the Legends tie-ins from the next year which ended this, so that’s it for original JLA. I’m not sure I have any overall thoughts or insights on the title as a whole. I think it took a very long time to really live up to its potential, but I don’t know how much of that is just my expecting more of the era than it had to offer. But I wound up really enjoying it for a while once Conway took over. There are surprisingly few really solid Justice League comic runs*, so it was worth it to uncover a really solid one, especially one that lasted that long (even not counting the Detroit era, it’s still eighty-ish issues).

*Thus far, not counting adaptations or short arcs, I’d point to Conway, Giffen & DeMatteis, Waid, and McDuffie. JLI is probably my favorite of these.

6 Likes

Before I move on with 2009 books, I’m gonna read one other thing from the ‘80s that I was meaning to pick up soon anyway.

Red Tornado: 4 issues from 1985
Writer: Kurt Busiek
One of my favorite things about Red Tornado is watching artists try to decide how many stripes he has on his pants and where they are; it’s hilarious.

Uh, ahem, anyway. This was very good. I was kind of skeptical when I saw it was using the Construct, who was terminally boring in Englehart’s JLA, but as a thematic counterpart to Red Tornado, it was actually a good pull.

Anyway, I did that before my 2009 selection, because…

Red Tornado: 2 issues from 2009
Writer: Kevin VanHook
… Of this, basically. And it’s… okay so far? Not really interesting, but not doing anything in particular to offend me so far either. I do think that characters without a well-established rogues gallery tend to drag creators into a rut of only letting them fight villains who are either connected to their origin or have the same powers. That means they tend to fight essentially the same villain, or a relatively small number of them, over and over again, and their world doesn’t really expand very much. So, here, we get a rare bit of Red Tornado solo content, and it’s about… T.O. Morrow and more robots that are very slight, obvious variations on Red Tornado. Meh?

6 Likes

5 Likes

This week I read 113 comics. Year to date my total is 3446.

5 Likes

All right, starting 2010.

The Agenda

Books I’ve already read:

• Detective Comics: I believe this was… the Batwoman stretch, right? As much as I dunk on Rucka, this was actually very solid other than some weird pacing.

• Batman: This was Winick on Dick as Batman, as I recall, which was a disaster zone.

• Wonder Woman: I think Simone would still have been on the title at this point. That had highlights and lowlights. Was never sure what to think of it. Better than a lot of runs, but the later parts of it sort of deteriorated.

• Green Lantern: Johns’ run was fairly solid through the end, though it was a bit less exciting after Blackest Night.

• Green Lantern Corps: Tomasi, by contrast, sucks.

• Batman Confidential: Been forever since I read this. I think it was just one digitized issue from this year, and cut off in the middle of an arc, so hard to comment.

• R.E.B.E.L.S.: This wound up being a pleasant surprise, at least in its latter half, which I think this was.

• Batman and Robin: Dear god no.

• The Flash: Rebirth: Also pretty bad.

• Batman: Streets of Gotham: I want to like it because it’s Paul Dini, but much of it wasn’t really up to his standards. I think 2010 in particular wasn’t great.

• Red Robin: This was pretty disappointing all the way through.

• Batgirl: This was, if nothing else, less relentlessly miserable than most of the concurrent Batbooks, and the 2011 Batgirl series makes it look like a masterpiece, but neither of those things actually necessarily makes it good.

• Batman: The Widening Gyre: So, the weird thing with this was that all the problem points were in the last issue of it. Which means it was a pretty solid read until then, actually?

• Arkham Reborn: This seemed to have no point at all.

• Batman: Unseen: This was bad, but a harmless sort of bad that didn’t break anything.

• Brightest Day: What a mess.

• The Flash: Felt kinda phoned-in after all the hype about bringing Barry back.

• Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne: Started out almost readable, albeit immersed in the essence of pure nonsense like all of Morrison’s stuff, but it doesn’t really hold together, especially towards the end.

• Birds of Prey: Not really up to the original title’s standards in several ways, but an overall reasonable continuation.

• Red Hood: The Lost Days: While I do feel like this doesn’t really add much, it was competently done and probably the closest thing in the Batbook lineup from this year to actually being good.

• Batman: Odyssey: Well, except for this legendary timeless masterpiece, maybe.

• Emerald Warriors: More of Tomasi doing his annoying Tomasi routine.

• Bruce Wayne: The Road Home: A real disjointed wreck of a mini.

Books I intend to read, and expectations:

• Action Comics: Oh god no.

• Superman: I’m cautiously optimistic about this book’s direction focusing on Mon-El? Weirdly?

• Teen Titans: Is this book still going? Why?

• Superman/Batman: Uh… fourth verse, same as the third: Why?

• Justice League of America: Robinson sometimes weirdly pulls a rabbit out of a hat, but I’ve seen chunks of this that I’m really not feeling.

• Justice Society of America: Yeah, Magog is killing my shortlived hype for this book pretty fast.

• Titans: Welp, we’re on our way to the mess that was Villains for Hire.

• Secret Six: I don’t know, I want to like this. It’s just… the characters… aren’t likeable? They’re funny, but that doesn’t mean I want to see them succeed or especially care for their welfare.

• Red Tornado: This wasn’t actively offending me and could turn interesting, but feels a bit uninspired.

• JSA All-Stars: I have no expectations on this, since I don’t know who’s writing it. Hopefully it’ll be better than whatever Willingham is doing.

• Justice League: Generation Lost: This comes highly recommended, and I’m not going to lie? I don’t believe it. This is sending up a ton of red flags, and I do not trust Judd Winick with basically any of these characters.

• Freedom Fighters: If you’ve been paying uncannily close attention, you may have noticed that Power Girl quietly disappeared from my reading list. That’s because Gray and Palmiotti are gross and uncomfortable and I decided to spare myself. However, I’m already kind of committed to slogging through this Freedom Fighters stuff to the bitter, disturbingly sexualized end. Send help.

For something to alternate with, I think I’ll pop back to the earliest stuff on my reading list and just start going through some Golden Age books. Don’t entirely know what to expect from most of these, but I’ve been enjoying Finger on Batman and a bit dubious of Siegel on Superman.

Superbooks: 45 issues from 2010
Writers: James Robinson (7 issues of Superman, 1 issue of Adventure Comics, co-writer on 4 issues of World of New Krypton, co-writer on 3 issues of Last Stand of New Krypton, co-writer on 1 issue of Adventure Comics, co-writer on 5 issues of War of the Supermen, 7 Captain Atom backups in Action Comics, 1 Superboy backup in Adventure Comics, 1 Legion of Superheroes backup in Adventure Comics), Greg Rucka (co-writer on 4 issues of World of New Krypton, co-writer on 7 issues of Action Comics, co-plotter on 2 Captain Atom backups in Action Comics), Eric Trautmann (co-writer on 7 issues of Action Comics, “Awake” backup in 3 issues of Adventure Comics), Sterling Gates (6 issues of Supergirl, 2 issues of Adventure Comics, co-writer on 3 issues of Last Stand of New Krypton, co-writer on 1 issue of Adventure Comics, co-writer on 5 issues of War of the Supermen, “Unify” backup in 1 issue of Adventure Comics, backup in 1 issue of War of the Supermen), Jake Black (co-writer on backup in 1 issue of Supergirl), Helen Slater (co-writer on backup in 1 issue of Supergirl), Dan Jurgens (backup in 1 issue of Superman), J. Michael Straczynski (3 issues of Superman, backup in 1 issue of Superman), Paul Cornell (5 issues of Action Comics), Jeff Lemire (Superboy backup in 1 issue of Action Comics), Nick Spencer (Jimmy Olsen backup in 2 issues of Action Comics), G. Willow Wilson (1 issue of Superman)
Golly, that’s a lotta writer.

So, for the concluding stretch of the “World Against Superman” arc:

World of New Krypton continues to be surprisingly solid for a premise that usually sucks written by two writers I usually don’t like. I’m still trying to figure out how that even happened. Also holy ■■■■ is Zod farming Silver Shield entities? Maybe somebody did read Captain Atom. (If so, though, nothing ever comes of it.) Though… wait a second. Zod believed Tam-Or was innocent, yes? So… the Council reinstates Zod, but then at the exact same time goes over his head to have Tam-Or arrested? Which they apparently don’t have the authority to do? What do any of these clowns think they’re accomplishing?

Action Comics continues to bore me. Like, I feel like this is the one that has the least to do with anything else going on, and is mostly based on uncomfortable age-up romance stuff. Also, if there’s one thing Final Crisis got me sick of, it’s Greg Rucka writing fake religious texts for pages at a time. I don’t care about the Kryptonian creation myth. This is filler. I mean there’s the apparent idea that Chris, Thara, and Jax-Ur are somehow reincarnations of or otherwise possessed by Khufu, Chay-Ara, and Hath-Set uh, I mean, Rucka’s totally original concepts for Nightwing and Flamebird, do not steal. But this has been built up for quite some time with extremely little consideration for why it’s remotely important. It kind of leads to something in War of the Supermen, but mostly by way of clearing all of these plot elements off the board at the same time so the actually important stuff can continue.

• The Captain Atom backup is bland at best. I’m invested in the Monarch mess being undone somehow, but not really in it just kind of being there. They’re trying to dance away from it, but only really by half measures. Also, Captain Atom literally flew into the afterlife one time. I think he’s interacted with the Green, too. It’s all a little confusing in the ‘80s series, so I don’t know if I’d say his powers are magic, exactly, but they’re certainly not “anti”-magic, and saying he can’t enter magical realms is patently untrue. Especially if you’ve actually paid attention to enough of his history to reference Silver Shield, which is at the center of all this confusing nonsense. Furthermore, though, I am reasonably certain that the doorway to Skartaris is not in the Himalayas? It’s in the Arctic, right? Or the Yukon, maybe? But, like, that’s the whole premise. And looking at maps of it, there’d presumably be a second opening in the Antarctic or close to it, but certainly not the Himalayas. And… long story on this, but ultimately the resolution is… “lol, turns out mordru was here all along, and he’s actually a pretty cool guy,” which, what?

Supergirl is frustrating. After some more of Alura being the worst, it shifts to the one subplot from the previous year I was actually finding compelling, Lana being sick. Well, turns out, that’s just the gross fetishy “Insect Queen” plot from ’08 sneaking back up and it all pops up and is promptly resolved in the middle of otherwise vaguely New Krypton-related things.

Superman is also surprisingly okay, again with the oddity of the Superman title not featuring anyone named Superman notwithstanding. It’s surreal for me that the best parts of this era are by James Robinson while also actually being concurrent with Cry for Justice. I don’t know how to deal with that.

Going into Last Stand of New Krypton, I gotta say all these random undercover Legion people are starting to lose me. Like, not in my usual “I have zero investment in the Legion and get cranky when they start messing around in the present,” way, because that’s my secret, Cap; I’m always cranky. I mean in a “This is extremely silly on its face even if you do like these characters,” way.

At least Lois is finally doing things. She’s been sidelined really aggressively in this story when, given the utterly baffling decision to make her father and sister the big bads, you’d think she’d have more to do. Even once she does start to get involved, she’s more in the sidenote that is Action Comics’ plot, and on the main threads just gives the readers recaps sometimes.

I also still feel like Sam Lane, Evil Mastermind takes away an interesting indirectly antagonistic supporting character in favor of a bland villain who is pretty interchangeable with a lot of others in both means and motivations. And I guess Lucy’s not dead (you know, after Kara deliberately murdered her), but she doesn’t do much other than be evil and crazy and then lose fights off-panel, so honestly death might’ve been merciful. On the part of the writers, not Kara. Kara actually is evil and crazy.

Anyway, this overall New Krypton saga involved seven separate titles (by four writers, but in various continuously-shifting combinations). Three of those titles (World of New Krypton, Last Stand of New Krypton, and War of the Supermen) were created solely for the overall arc, and successively replaced each other with different teams and formats. One, Adventure Comics, was added to the rotation in the last two months or so of the story arc, and contained random, shifting collections of stories, I guess to bring in Superboy and the Legion, but basically feeling like a sort of catch-all for random stuff they didn’t have page count for anywhere else, with the one or two threads that seemed to continue between issues ultimately not going anywhere. Action Comics is included in the shared numbering on the covers that’s supposed to help you follow the reading order, but its plot has absolutely nothing to do with any of the other titles (again, other than the bare-minimum effort necessary to get rid of all the characters from it in War of the Supermen). And there was at least one part this year, and I think it happened before, when they changed the order you’re supposed to read the titles in between months. Or during a month, actually; they somehow squeezed two issues of something in a row in there or… something like that.

Basically, it took a lot of homework just to figure out how to read this mess. And the bulk of the plot winds up just being an indirect origin for the Legion, which would be a lot less obnoxious if they’d had literally anything to do with it until the very last minute.

And, honestly, even Brainiac kind of comes out of nowhere. Like, he was clearly important to how this situation was created, but completely extraneous to the conflict in the whole middle part, so everything has to get paused while everybody fights robots for a while. Like, a long while. We get fourteen issues of “punch Brainiac” and five issues of “actually resolve the General Zod vs. General Lane plot this has all ostensibly been building to for like two years.”

And, like, I wasn’t kidding myself that this was going to end any way other than just all the Kryptonians dying again, but it’s kind of an abrupt board-clearing after putting so much work into establishing them as a current, relevant presence. And, like, Sam Lane just Alderaan’d an entire inhabited planet and basically nobody is going to care or mention it again before the reboot.

Overall… I wanted to like this, actually. The scope and depth of this format is cool. It’s frankly more exciting than most of what’s going on concurrently in this era. It made me actually care about Krypton, which any number of attempts by previous writers have utterly failed at. But that doesn’t really mean it’s necessarily good at any point. Because there’s not really any part of it that isn’t pervaded with… just… incredibly stupid decisions?

And then there’s the subsequent runs. Have I mentioned that this was a lot?

Straczynski’s “Grounded” arc in the Superman title has been widely mocked, and it deserves it. Clark is being kind of a dick. Like, first he got sad because he was too busy trying to keep 80,000 people he’s personally responsible for alive to keep one guy he doesn’t know alive. And his solution is to walk around and condescend to people about problems that, sorry, no, really are well under his pay grade? I’m just saying that there are a lot of people who can fix a car, and only a few who can punch Brainiac. So, whatever grand principle he thinks he’s proving by cleaning a diner’s storeroom feels pretty hollow. And, like, there ought to be something at least basically charming about Superman helping people with mundane, personal problems of varying severity, enough that I might forgive the Bizarro logic that segued into the premise. The trouble is that he comes across even more aloof and condescending doing this than he ever did flitting around space and punching Mongul or whatever. Don’t worry, little people. Superman is going to come by and make a Speech, and it’s going to put your little problems into context for you. Or he’s just going to bully you until you stop questioning him. Hope you like a supersonic flight into orbit, mildly annoying reporter. I get that it’s trying to be the next Hard-Travelin’ Heroes, but Hard-Travelin’ Heroes was annoying too. Also, Dick makes a good effort to talk sense into him, but I liked Bruce’s version of this lecture in Justice League Unlimited: “Those giant monsters you don’t fight? They tend to step on little guys.”

Cornell’s Luthor-focused stuff on Action is… well, I think I’ve said this before, and if not, I’m saying it now: A good rule of thumb for Superbooks is that the most interesting thing happening at any given point is whatever Lex Luthor is doing. At this point, that is an extraordinarily low bar, but the rule holds true. It doesn’t make a lot of sense, but it’s certainly more interesting than Superman taking a walk.

In the Jimmy Olsen backup… uh, you realize that Jimmy was actually doing quite a bit while Superman was off-world, right? And did have a girlfriend for a bit of that stretch, but not the same one? I just, what? Who the hell is writing- Oh, Nick Spencer. That… actually checks out. Some superficially good laughs paired with utterly infuriating illogic and lack of attention to what literally anyone else is doing lines up pretty well with his Captain America work. Just didn’t realize he’d ever inflicted his unholy presence on DC.

Detective Comics: 12 issues from 1940
Anthology
First off: Whenever I go back to Golden Age books, I always think I’m prepared for how racist the ‘40s were, and they always still manage to exceed (or… fall short of, depending on how you look at it) my expectations. Even the material that’s of comparatively highest quality comes with a big fat “Of Its Time™” asterisk. I’ll just leave that point at that.

That aside, I guess I’ll approach it this way:

• The Batman, by Bill Finger: I love how the narration more often than not refers to the Batman as “the Batman,” bolded and with the “the.” Obviously there’s quite a bit of the Batman in the the Batman stories, so you’ll get multiple references on a single page to the Batman, just in case you forgot that you’re reading about the Batman. The Batman is genuinely probably the best-written feature, though, in terms of having reasonably varied and memorable plots. In particular, I’m kind of poking around for interesting villain deep pulls, but the useful villains here are… so good that they’re still famous? Like, about six issues had notable villains who weren’t just random killers or gangsters: Hugo Strange, Tony Zucco (kind of a random gangster but one who people actually remember), Clayface, the Painter of Death, the Joker, and Hugo Strange again. Only the Painter of Death never recurred, and that probably has a lot to do with the fact that he pretty unambiguously dies at the end of the story. But by comparison, I wouldn’t say any other feature managed to have more than one or two even vaguely notable villains. Finger does have a habit of setting up murder mysteries, giving you several obvious suspects and one guy who gets disproportionate focus for not being suspicious in any direct way, and then expecting you to be surprised when the odd man out is the killer.

• The Bart Regan- I mean, uh, Bart Regan, Spy, by Jerry Siegel: This should be good, but it plays out exactly like the others, except the culprit is always a sinister foreign saboteur (frequently from Germany A nonspecific or fictional foreign nation which is a combatant in a nonspecific or fictional overseas war against a nonspecific or fictional American ally) instead of merely usually being one like all the other features. I do like the story where Bart swims several miles through the ocean, and at the end his pocket square isn’t even out of place. Suck it, Bond. And the bizarre goldfish fixation of the villain in the last issue of this year.

• There are only a couple of Buck Marshall, Range Detective stories (by Homer Fleming), but they’re both actually pretty clever.

• The Steve Malone feature (writer uncredited; Gardner Fox did at least a couple of them) doesn’t often do much with the fact that he’s a district attorney, and most of the time has him just rushing out with a gun to investigate crimes like all the other detectives. Shoutout to the story where his plan for catching some extortionists and kidnappers is to hire some guys to do extortion and kidnapping. Like, he just… becomes a gangster.

• Speed Saunders (writer usually uncredited; again, Gardner Fox did at least a couple, and I think Fran Miller, credited on the last few, might be a writer and not an artist since the wiki lists Ed Winiarski as the artist) is dull, though I am amused by how many times getting shot in the head turns out to be only a minor inconvenience for him. I’m not sure how Golden Age writers thought either bullets or heads worked such that a grazing hit can render someone unconscious but not cause any permanent damage, and such that this happens frequently in multiple features (the other one I saw this in was Steve Malone, so it might be a Foxism).

• Cosmo, the Phantom of Disguise (by Sven Elven) isn’t bad. The weird lettering makes it hard to read sometimes, but he’s a bit less generically hard-boiled than most of these others.

• There’s not much of Bruce Nelson (by Tom Hickey) this year to judge it by.

• Slam Bradley (by Jerry Siegel) is probably the Batman’s only rival in terms of actually having vaguely readably acceptable quality, mainly because this one has a more comedic tone and is actually pretty funny sometimes. Actually makes modern Slam look kind of weird, because Brubaker took like the one Golden Age Detective Comics guy with a distinct personality and then completely changed it.

• The Crimson Avenger (one by Jim Chambers and the rest by Jack Lehti) is… wow, not even pretending not to be a Green Hornet knockoff, is he? He even has a gas gun. Still, probably one of the more memorable features, at least? Though Wing is a bit, um, yeah. I mean, all of these features get a bit, um, yeah, at some point or another, but Crimson Avenger has an uncomfortable racial stereotype in the main cast instead of just half of the villains of the month. Not that Wing is shown on-panel or gets dialogue all that often. Mostly it’s just Lee barking orders at him somewhere offscreen. Not sure if any of that is better, worse, or lateral. On another note, I love that whenever a line of dialogue is short enough, it will be rendered in BIG FONT, making it look like people are shouting everything at the top of their lungs, especially when otherwise ostensibly trying to be stealthy.

• Cliff Crosby (by Chad Grothkopf) is kind of hilariously bad. The plots are complete over-the-top nonsense, action scenes are strung together in rapid succession with increasingly contrived setups (like when he falls out of a plane and gets into a knife fight with a shark that has nothing to do with anything), his job seems to change every month, he’s racist even by this era’s low standards, and frankly, the art sucks. Or, like, he’s not the only character here to have a previously unseen table lamp (with no power cord!) conveniently materialize in his hand so he can throw it at someone who has a gun trained on him. But he’s the only one to find such a convenience on a submarine. As of September, he’s apparently “Young America’s Hero,” whatever that means, and, separately, rather disconcertingly blasé about discovering that his enemy is a skeleton. And in the next issue, he is able to recognize vampire tracks on sight despite the vampires in question not being noticeably anatomically distinct from humans. Also, in the first issue he appears in this year, he’s a reporter. This is not mentioned again for most of the year, until the December issue, when he’s suddenly a publisher. No, there’s no indication that he’s doing anything newspaper-related in the intervening period, but he is ostensibly variously an actual detective, a test pilot, a polo player, a spy, and a castaway at various points.

• Red Logan (writer unknown for certain, but there’s some reason to think Ed Winiarski wrote a chunk of it) is just kind of average as these features go, not doing anything super interesting or outrageously wrong for the most part. Shoutout to Doctor McKay, the police chemist from one story, though.

Dude got all of that from a hat. That’s talent. Shoutout to, in the same story, Commissioner Ryan personally making arrests, conducting ballistics tests, and interrogating suspects. I thought Jim Gordon played detective too much for someone with an essentially bureaucratic position, but he’s got nothing on this guy. Between that and asking a reporter to help investigate the case, the Department must be really short-staffed.

• Larry Steele (writer unknown) brings in some uncomfortable gender stuff for variety by having him really aggressively hitting on like every woman he sees.

• The short prose stories (by Richard Lawlor, Richard Martin, Gardner Fox, John Randall, R. Emmett Pace, Frank Cooper, Sean McDougal, Clem Gordon, and Dale Conroy, respectively) are usually solid relative to their brevity, but I don’t have much to say about them.

• There are also some stray one-page comedic strips sprinkled around, usually of dubious quality at best.

6 Likes

Teen Titans: 10 issues from 2010
Writers: Felicia D. Henderson (9 issues), J.T. Krul (1 issue), Sean McKeever (Ravager backup in 4 issues), Rex Ogle (Coven of Three backup in 5 issues)
The title of the Ravager story in the early issues of this year is “Fresh Hell,” which I like. It really punctuates the feeling of coming back to this title.

I’m trying to figure out whether I’m more annoyed at Cassie or Gar. Like, specifically in the context of their team-leader drama, that is. In general, Cassie may be slightly obnoxious, but she’s not an in-universe #MeToo incident. Gar, stop watching Raven sleep. That’s not sweet; it’s incredibly disturbing. WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE THIS SHIP?!

But the team-leader drama is all

Though later it does begin to get more

And at a certain point it’s not just Gar, sometimes it’s

Boy, she’s developed a long way from Young Justice voting for her to be in charge because they thought she was the best choice for the job. This title has been really healthy for the YJ characters.

Also, I have no clue what this “Holocaust” guy’s powers are. (Also, 10/10 name, very sensitive, not uncomfortable at all.) But, like, the title gets into one of those fight scene ruts where issues upon issues go by of mostly fight scene and he just won’t stay down. Which I guess writers might be doing intentionally because they read Death of Superman and thought it was cool, but nothing new is happening. Death of Superman was too long too, by the way.

Also, as “things that magically happen when a speedster runs in a circle enough” go, “there’s suddenly a vacuum that can suck anything in it down to the Earth’s core as soon as he stops” is definitely one of the more… creative I’ve seen.

The whole Ravager backup is about her struggling with trying to stop killing people and being addicted to these adrenaline inhalers, and the resolution is all… “lol, actually, it’s too hard not murdering people or being addicted to drugs, so i’m okay with it now.” And it’s just such a sudden swerve for the ending. Like, I don’t know, maybe McKeever read too many Rucka books and decided that “depressing” and “clever” are synonyms. … Actually, I’m just dunking on Rucka to be funny, but now that I think about it, this sort of thing happens in most of McKeever’s stuff.

Everybody seems to suddenly know that “the Wyld” (which I barely remember from earlier parts of the title; it took me a while to realize this had been introduced previously) is what kidnapped Raven even though there was no real indication of that at the time. It seemed like just that torturer guy who was working for (ugh) Holocaust. Who… never reappears. Like… is there a crossover or something I’m missing here? It doesn’t say it’s continued elsewhere or anything, and the parts seem to flow. It’s just that certain knowledge seems to materialize in the minds of everybody but the reader a couple times.

In the “Coven of Three” feature, first, I know it’s hard to tell the Demons Three apart, but I’m 90% certain they’re all mixed up here. So, Abnegazar is the one who’s always in shadows, Rath is the one with circle patterns all over him, and Ghast has a mohawk and pointy ears but is the most “normal”-looking. Here, Abnegazar seems to have both the shadows and the circle patterns, the one they call Rath is clearly Ghast, and the one they call Ghast has none of the three’s distinguishing features, just looking like a sort of “generic” Demons Three demon, even moreso than Ghast-Rath. And then sometimes Ghast-Rath’s dialogue comes from the one that has otherwise consistently been Abnegazar, so hell if I know what’s going on at this point. So to speak.

Oh, also, I hate Zachary Zatara even more than usual already.

One issue into Krul’s stuff. It’s starting out okay. Nicola Scott is doing the art, which is always a plus. Raven’s outfit in particular looks all cool and billowy instead of just generically skintight. She also apparently broke up with Beast Boy again between issues, so that’s a good sign. Yeah, for once things are actually looking-

Oh ■■■■■■■ it, they’re using Damian.

Action Comics: 12 issues from 1940
Writer: Jerry Siegel
(Along with many others, of course, but only the Superman stories are digitized. DCUI has all the writers and artists noted, so I like that the names that show under a lot of the issues when looking at the series are Bill Finger and Bob Kane.)

At this point I have an instinctively twitchy reaction to this whole Delores Winters/Ultra-Humanite plot point in the first two issues from this year, though I’ll grant that these original stories are actually less weird about it than a lot of later material that revisited the idea. Like, the characters almost underreact to it; they call Ultra “he” in the first issue and “she” in the second, but no other real comment is made. And I’m really torn between being impressed that Siegel seems to have just… decided to write a transgender character in 1940 without playing it for horror or otherwise making a spectacle of it, like this is just who Ultra is now, and being disturbed that Siegel wrote a villain scooping out an innocent person’s brain to take over her body without playing it for horror or otherwise making a spectacle of it, like this is just who Ultra is now.

Some of these plots almost make me sad when Superman shows up. He still very rarely encounters any opponents who can threaten or even meaningfully hinder him, so much of the time I’d rather see Lois or Clark-as-Clark get the win. Especially since they at least usually have to investigate things. Superman, while a little less unstable than in the first couple years of the title, still has kind of a bull-in-a-China-shop approach to problems.

Luthor’s introduction is the closest thing to an exception, since he does seem to have some gadgets that seem to at least mildly hurt Superman. So… good job, Lex?

i will admit that some of the moments of superman just being a troll are incredible, though

Also, shoutout to the circus strongman who commits robberies in his circus costume with nothing but a domino mask for disguise, and everyone sort of suspecting him of being the culprit, but golly, if only they had some kind of evidence. It in fact turns out it’s not him, but in that case, shoutout to the real culprit doing such a blatant frameup that somehow fails not because anyone saw through it, but because they didn’t draw a connection to the target in the first place.

5 Likes

This week I read 101 comics. Year to date I have read 3547.

6 Likes

Superman/Batman: 11 issues from 2010
Writers: Joe Casey (3 issues, co-writer on 1 issue), Joshua Williamson (co-writer on 1 issue), Paul Levitz (4 issues), Judd Winick (1 issue)
#75 Anniversary Two-Page Story Things, I guess?: Steven T. Seagle, Billy Tucci, Adam Hughes, Michael Green & Mike Johnson, Duncan Rouleau, Brian Azzarello, David Finch, Peter J. Tomasi
Ugh. This book again.

I like that Batman gets a “detective’s hunch” that Anderson Gaines is the shapeshifter despite having literally no indication there is any connection. Maybe he can break the fourth wall and figured this guy would violate conservation of detail otherwise.

Apparently, “typical counterintelligence tactics” include “pretending to be a reclusive billionaire, suddenly not being reclusive, and hiring some kind of power-armored mercenary to kill a reporter.”

Actually, Casey’s whole arc keeps citing “counterintelligence” as a principle for, like, basically any vaguely sneaky thing, particularly espionage. But as the word itself very clearly indicates, counterintelligence is not being a spy. It’s catching spies. It’s literally the opposite of how it’s being used here.

OK, this is only the second arc I’ve read by Paul Levitz, but… damn, he’s good, actually. I could gripe some about the Legion suddenly appearing in the final act of a story that had nothing whatsoever to do with them before that point again, but honestly even that’s a little more forgivable coming from Levitz, since Legion stuff is much of what he’s known for.

Winick’s issue is pretty well-done for the complete disaster his work on Dick-as-Batman was in the actual title.

Williamson’s Supergirl/Damian teamup begins with this:

… And I really, really wanted the next page to show she was looking at Damian.

Instead, his role is just the “he’s better than you at everything and he can behave in any disturbing way you can think of but it’ll be sold as cute and funny” stuff I’ve come to expect of writers who, like, intentionally choose to have Damian in their stories for whatever reason.

All-American Comics #16 from 1940
Writers: Bill Finger (Green Lantern story), Jon L. Blummer (Hop Harrigan story), Bud Fisher (4 Mutt & Jeff strips, 4 Cicero’s Cat strips), Gene Byrne (2 Daisybelle strips), Jerry Siegel (Red, White and Blue story), Edwin Alger (Ben Webster story), Art Helfant (Popsicle Pete story), Carl H. Claudy (Adventures in the Unknown story), Sheldon Mayer (Scribbly story), Don Shelby (Gary Concord the Ultra-Man story)
This is all that’s digitized of this series (because it’s Alan Scott’s first appearance), but at least they have the whole issue.

The man ain’t kiddin’.

Hop Harrigan reads like a commercial for airplanes.

Got a bunch of reprinted newspaper strips in here; they’re not as disastrously unfunny as the ones from Detective Comics, but they’re nothing notable.

Red, White, and Blue is barely coherent. You’d think Siegel would be able to make these generic nonspecific foreign saboteur plots at least make some sense after doing so many of them.

The Ben Webster story seems to be from the middle of something, and is a bit too out-of-context to follow.

The plot of the Popsicle Pete story is… stamp collecting. That’s it. They collect some stamps. I’m not exaggerating or being facetious. Thrilling.

The Adventures in the Unknown story drops right into the middle of a story, but it’s about a mad scientist who they insist on calling a “dictator” even though he doesn’t seem to be anything of the kind using invisible aliens from Venus to blow up buildings, so at least it’s more interesting than “airplanes are cool” or “look, stamps.”

The Scribbly story is actually pretty sweet? I like it.

So, I’m trying to render an opinion on “Gary Concord, the Ultra-Man,” but I’m not sure how without just summarizing the story. So, like, apparently it’s 2240, and there’s one guy who is somehow solely responsible for the defense of “the United States of North America.” (There is an oddly high percentage of sci-fi that seems convinced that the US will annex Canada and sometimes also Mexico in the next couple centuries. Like, country borders change sometimes, but seriously, why would this happen?) Anyway, a power plant which apparently powers the entire country gets stolen, but nobody knows it’s physically gone yet; they just know it shut down. Now that I think about it, I can’t recall if they ever get around to putting the power plant back. Anyway, some senator apparently has to go personally ask Gary to look into this. The senator’s daughter insists on coming to this meeting, he’s apparently only midly opposed to that, but then both the senator and Gary insult her to her face numerous times but she still has a crush on Gary. She, I guess, shows up at the beach where the power plant was, which was also apparently the site of an earlier story that concluded with both a monster and some professor drowning. And of course, she gets kidnapped. As Gary goes after her, he discovers that she, like the power plant, is being taken to a secret underwater city of “fish-apes” which was built by the presumed-drowned monster sometime in the middle of apparently drowning. He manages to rescue both the senator’s daughter and the also-not-dead professor guy, but I don’t recall any further attention being paid to the power plant.

Not gonna lie, if these stories are representative of the average quality of All-American Comics, I’m pretty comfortable with the rest of it not being digitized. I was dunking on Detective Comics, but these stories make those look like masterpieces.

New York World’s Fair Comics #2 from 1940
Writers: Jerry Siegel (Superman story, Red, White and Blue story, Slam Bradley story), Creig Flessel (Hanko the Cowhand story), Gardner Fox (Zatara story, Sandman story), Henry Boltinoff (“Silly Stuff” strip), Ken Fitch (Hourman story), Bob Kane (Gingersnap strip), Bill Finger (Batman story), a few other random uncredited things
This is a gimmicky promotional thing for, well, the, uh, the New York World’s Fair, but it’s sort of the predecessor to World’s Finest, since that picked up the general format and lineup of features from this. It’s just two issues and the first isn’t digitized. That one didn’t have a Batman story (I’m seeing conflicting information about whether it was just before or just after Detective Comics #27, but it’s cover dated earlier), but it was notably Wesley Dodds’ first appearance as the Sandman.

As for this issue in general, the stories are all theoretically connected to the fair (aside from some that I think are reprints), though the extent of that connection ranges from “actually takes place there and involves real exhibitions” to “they mention that the fair is happening at the beginning and end of the story, technically.”

Superman swindling Lois out of stories by reporting on himself is probably not as funny as all these old books like to think it is.

“Red, White, and Blue” is still nonsense. From what I’m seeing, this feature had fairly long runs in both All-American and World’s Finest, somehow. It’s, I guess, three enlisted guys from different branches of the military (Red is a Marine, Whitey is from the Army, and Blooey is a Navy sailor) who are inexplicably employed as some kind of counterintelligence squad but run around in dress uniforms at all times. They deal with fiddly logistical things that are targeted by various flavors of saboteur. It’s a distinctly ‘40s kind of nonsense, so it’s almost not surprising that it lasted through the war (though you’d think there’d be no shortage of less-bizarre features about soldiers), but it apparently continued about a year afterwards somehow.

Slam Bradley is pretty good, but protip if you’re going to be a criminal in the ‘40s: Invest in a cigarette lighter. Or at least take your matches out of your matchbook so you’re not carrying evidence of your base of operations around. Or, if you want the advanced-level tactics, get a matchbook from somewhere that otherwise has nothing to do with you and leave it on purpose. And I swear I saw the “matchbook as clue” plot point show up in a show from this year, so I guess it’s not just the ‘40s.

Wow, Zatara is just hilariously overpowered. Dude steamrolls everything even harder than Superman.

Johnny Thunder is kinda the same joke over and over, but not bad for a short feature.

The Batman story is decent but nothing remarkable.

6 Likes

5 Likes

Still barreling forward with some 90s read-thrus, SAVAGE DRAGON pulling away as the favorite. Pure buck-wild, sometimes it feels like LARSEN is just making everything up on the fly. Found out that IDW has given up on GI JOE so I’m gonna be reading the LAST 5 issues of that mag as well as rounding the corner on issue 100 of the book’s first series at MARVEL. Crazy, I finish issue 100, all “brainwave scanners and Clutch and unquestionable military details” and then get issue 296 at the l.c.s. and it’s still “brainwave scanners and etc. etc”. It feels like home. Only one other writer has put up the numbers like LARRY HAMA, 300 issues on one title, 300+ counting the yearbooks and spin-off book, dude is the man. And for some reason, I’m reading HEX instead of JONAH HEX proper. Also fell down fell down a WEREWOLF BY NIGHT rabbit hole. ANNND, all the MASTER OF KUNG-FU books just vanished from MARVEL U, maybe due to licensing maybe due to BATJAMAGS aforementioned “it was of the times” but they’re gone so I scooped up the omnibus’ at a great price off the interweb. Gonna be riding 2022 out with a flip/flop between the 70s and 90s, i guess. Anywhat, back to the books!

6 Likes

Oh, that’s interesting. I’d bet it’s the licensing, since Shang-Chi is so connected to Fu Manchu origin-wise. But I’m a little surprised it’d happen so soon after he had a movie.

6 Likes

I’ve fallen way behind with reading this past month, so I don’t have much of a wrap up to do. I finished rereading Mark Waid’s Fantastic Four, but I’ve talked enough about that in the past couple of reading challenges, so I won’t go over it again. I’ve actually been more preoccupied with these other things called “novels.” They’re like comic books but without the pictures. Crazy. Anyway, as much as I’d love to talk about Stephen King, that feels a bit off topic, but I did order three books online (that are supposed to come any day now) that will probably be worth talking about here. To be continued…

6 Likes

This week I read 78 comics. My total year to date is now 3625.

6 Likes

Might I recommend the reader’s lounge for all things book-related?:

https://community.dcuniverseinfinite.com/t/reading-lounge/1519131

6 Likes

I apparently need to get out more. You’d think after almost four years of sticking around, I’d know to expect that these places exist here.

7 Likes

There are a lot of hidden gems to be found here!

6 Likes

They have arrived:

Summary

So here’s the deal: now that I’ve been introduced to the reader’s lounge, I’ll probably talk about all of these over there. But, I think they’re all enough a part of DC history (specifically the two Superman books) to earn a mention here. The Tom King on is admittedly more of a stretch, but it’s at least part of what got him a job working at DC so… points for that?

6 Likes

Oooo! I fell into the superhero NOVELS last year and enjoyed the hell outta them. Mostly MARVEL,tho, some old ones from the 70s written by LEN WEIN, MARV WOLFMAN at their wordiest and a few of the newer(ish) ones. Seein your pics makes me wanna find that KNIGHTFALL novelization DENNY O’NEIL(i think) wrote. There’s really some good no-pictures funnybook books out there. RAGNAROK by PAUL KUPPERBURG was a fun read.

6 Likes

I know Kupperburg has a few books that I’ve wanted to check out, so once I’m done with these ones I might go to those.

6 Likes