2020 Comic Reading Challenge

How i could tell ADVENTUREMAN was gonna be a good read? After just one issue, i wanted to dig into some of the pulp source material. The old school books(book-books), of Doc Savage, the Shadow, et al.

2 Likes

And some spoilers for SWAMPY, DONT READ ANY FURTHER------after Dougs run, Swampy becomes a family man, the book gets kinda goth/romance/horror(?), its not bad. Then comes Morrison and Millar, and stuff gets creppy,yucky, crazy fast!

2 Likes

And on another SWAMPY note, vol 2 of SWAMP THING in the BRONZE AGE has THE NEVER BEFORE SEEN PLOT, SCRIPT, AND MOST OF THE ART FOR THE UNPUBLISHED ISSUE 25! SWAMP THING! HAWKMAN!

2 Likes

Iā€™m in Collins run now, family man, politics, ghost stories and a nice sense of humor. A very nice pallet cleanser before things get scary again.
Adventureman is definitely pulp influenced, lots of fun and Dodsons art is beautiful, sexy, expressive stuff.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Just finished the 2006 52 series. It was really good! Next up: 2006 Wonder Woman and Justice League

Total so far: 581

4 Likes

Daredevil: 60 issues from 2001-2006
Writers: Brian Michael Bendis (55 issues), David Mack (5 issues)

Review

I wrote a lot of this sort of stream-of-consciousness as I read, so Iā€™ll say up front: I wound up really liking this run, but my opinion sort of slowly improved over time, and I just have more to say when Iā€™m unhappy, so thereā€™s a lot of frontloaded complaining.

OK, so Iā€™ve heard bad things about Bendis but good things about this run in particular, so I figured Iā€™d give it a shot. We start out with a four-issue guest arc he did in a previous run that would have made a very good single issue. Honestly, while this arc cheesed me off, itā€™s 99% the artistā€™s fault. Like, bad art is one thing, but this is a lot worse than bad. Itā€™s this weird sort of pseudo-pop-art style that is not at all conducive to sequential storytelling, and he likes to fill all the margins in with weird scribbled notes that mostly just patronizingly reiterate things that are sufficiently obvious from the actual images. And itā€™s not just idiosyncratic in one way, it, like, tries to do a different weird gimmick on every page.

Jumping ahead to the full run, thereā€™s a better artist, so itā€™s readable. But, uh, that thing the 2010s do where every single story is like twelve issues long and theyā€™re not allowed to have more than one plot point per issue? Yeah, I think I figured out who started that.

I am noticing, though: Bendis has this thing he does. I think he is probably doing this thing because he is trying to sound like David Mamet. And I cannot say he does not sound a little like David Mamet. But for some reason, none of the characters ever uses contractions. It is really frickinā€™ weird. (There is also the somewhat repetitive dialogue, which I am also imitating. I am imitating it because it is funny more than to make a point, but I am imitating it.)

Now, I know I roast the things I read a lot. I do. But sometimes-- Sometimes, there are times when I roast something because it is funny more than because I do not like it. And this is one of those times. While it probably would have been somewhat annoying to read as it came out due to the pacing, the story is actually pretty good overall. Yes it is.

Sidenote: This is from long before the Netflix series, but as Alex Maleev (the artist on the bulk of this run ā€“ it all has this weird, faded, gritty quality to it thatā€™s not quite having the intended effect, but the underlying pencils are pretty good and Iā€™ve certainly seen much worse attempts at looking gritty) draws them, Matt looks a lot like Charlie Cox and the Kingpin looks exactly like Vincent Dā€™Onofrio. Itā€™s actually kind of uncanny.

Thereā€™s a guest arc by David Mack (the artist on those first few issues), and itā€™sā€¦ not good. It is very not good. There is nothing about it that is good. It finds new ways of being not good that Iā€™ve never seen anywhere else. Iā€™m going to take an undue amount of time out to talk about five out of sixty issues because thereā€™s just that much to rip into:

Matt himself is only actually in one of the five issues; the rest is all about Echo, and how special and important Echo is. And the first issue is just a slow, repetitive reiteration of her backstory, and thenā€¦ the second issue is the exact same thing. Itā€™s not even different information, itā€™s just the same thing. The third issue is devoted to her basically wandering off away from anything resembling a plot because she realizes she has nothing to do with anything. The fourth has Wolverine show up for no reason. And the fifth seems to think itā€™s presenting some sort of resolution to whatever passes for a plot here, I guess, but thereā€™s no plot, so the resolution doesnā€™t matter.

Maya is only ever drawn with the exact same slack-jawed expression. This may have something to do with the fact that Mack has only three drawings of her and recycles them about a hundred times an issue. It sounds like Iā€™m exaggerating, and I am, but not nearly by as much as you think. The patronizing handwritten notes are still all over the place. And the handwriting is awful, by the way. There are also a lot of, uh, bad drawings. Not like this-artist-is-subpar-bad, I mean deliberately-trying-to-look-like-a-more-amateurish-artist bad. There is no reason, itā€™s just random ugliness. Whether and how a panel is colored seems completely arbitrary.

On the plus side, when Bendis comes back, heā€™s on a roll. Like, I could take or leave a lot of the preceding run because of the pacing, and itā€™s still pretty slow, but of the five five-or-six-issue arcs he does after the interlude, ā€œThe King of Hellā€™s Kitchenā€ is OK, ā€œThe Widowā€ is great, ā€œThe Golden Ageā€ is pretty solid, ā€œDecalogueā€ is possibly the best of the run, and ā€œThe Murdock Papersā€ is great.

Daredevil: 39 issues from 2006-2009
Writer: Ed Brubaker, Greg Rucka (co-writer on 4 issues), Ann Nocenti (extra story in #500)

Review

OK, what did Milla do to deserve this?! I mean she wasnā€™t the most interesting character but she didnā€™t deserve this. I guess at least sheā€™s still alive, so sheā€™s got one up on Elektra (resurrection-related asterisk notwithstanding), Heather, Glorianna, Karen, and dear god Matt youā€™re worse than Kyle Rayner.

So, letā€™s see here. The opening prison arc was very good. The follow-up with Vanessa Fisk was meh, but they had to do something to pull Matt back from the mess Bendis made of his life. The Mister Fear arc gets a little annoying with how no matter what happens, Mister Fear will just declare it was all part of his plan. That and what happened to Milla and Melvin.

The arc co-written by Greg Rucka surprised me a little. I generally like Brubaker on his own a lot better than Rucka on his own, but this is actually the best arc.

Lady Bullseye feels veryā€¦ perfunctory. Like, somebody decided there should be a Lady Bullseye, so they just kind of dropped her into a plot that wouldnā€™t really have to be changed all that much to get rid of her. Actually, Iā€™m thinking maybe they just needed a suitably unpredictable mercenary character, but couldnā€™t use actual Bullseye because he was in Ellisā€™s dumb Thunderbolts run. So suddenly, bam, another Bullseye.

And then in ā€œReturn of the King,ā€ the Handā€™s whole plan only works because Matt is being such a tool this whole run. Like, I find it a lot harder to care that his life is getting screwed up because half of it is legit his own stupid fault. More than half. The Hand is mostly just kind of poking at his own stupid decisions. They killed a bunch of no-names and baited the Kingpin back into New York, but those are the only things that happen here that Matt didnā€™t bring on himself.

I really liked this run when it started and it justā€¦ deteriorated.

Gotham Central: 12 issues from 2003
Writers: Ed Brubaker (4 issues, co-writer on 3) and Greg Rucka (5 issues, co-writer on 3)
So, Batman butts into a story that didnā€™t previously involve him at the very end just in time to be a complete deus ex machina twice in the first year of this series. Especially after they make such a deal of not wanting him involved in the first arc, it makes the introduction a total shaggy dog story.

The Firebug arc was good as it went, but having the detectives have an immediate, instinctive dislike for the guy who turns out to be the killer is really cheap.

I guess Renee Montoyaā€™s arc is good, in an exceedingly depressing sort of way. And it has the Batman ex machina problem. Itā€™s not as bad as the first issue, but it still leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

The filler issue about Stacy is actually weirdly my favorite so far?

Last issue is the first of an arc, so hard to comment, but it looks interesting.

3 Likes

Formerly Known as the Justice League: 6 issues from 2003-2004
Writers: Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis

4 Likes

40 comics in the last nine days for a total of 1101. A few highlights for me. The 2008 Madame Xanadu that I started because of the DCU Book Club, went back to the beginning. Beautiful looking book that time hops through the first 10 issues with our favorite seer. The series integrates a number of magic characters in Xanaduā€™s history perfectly and tells us where the name came from. Swamp Thing, fully in the Nancy Collins run. She completely redeemed this series. She starts off kinda easy and funny in a Southern Goth kind of way, and now sheā€™s lowering the hammer. Nicely done.

Aquaman 64
Aquaman: Deep Dives 2
Batman 100-101
DC Comics Presentss (1978) 9 Superman Fan Club
Detective Comics (1937) 1028
Flash Fastest Man Alive 1-2
Harley Quinn Black + Red (2020) 2-3
In the Days of the Mob (1971) 1
Justice League Dark (2018) 14 World of Wonder
Justice League Dark (2018) 15 World of Wonder
Justice League Odyssey 6
Madame Xanadu (2008) 1-10
Supergirl (1996) 1-3 DC History Club
Superman 26
Swamp Thing (1985) 106-119 DC History Club
Wonder Woman: Come Back to Me (2019) 4 World of Wonder
Worldā€™s Finest Comics (1941) 74 Superman Fan Club
2 Likes

Teen Titans: 4 issues from 2003
Writer: Geoff Johns
All the Young Justice holdouts are miserable and depressed, which is the exact opposite of why I like them in the first place. The only character who seems particularly in-character is Gar, in the sense that I already hate him just as much as I did in the Wolfman era. (Kory is harder to get a read on because sheā€™s like 90% boring and 10% a horrible person, so when sheā€™s just boring I canā€™t even really tell if thatā€™s an improvement, the usual, or worse than usual.) Cyborg is there too, and I actually do like him, but he just hasnā€™t done much yet so I donā€™t have a read on him. Ditto for Raven, or rather even moreso, both on liking her and not having done much.

Iā€™m justā€¦ not impressed with this beginning. I admit a little bias in that I resent it for not being either predecessor series (Titans ā€˜99 really went down the tubes in its back half but had a great lineup and some really good stories in its prime, and Young Justice gives me life), and I understand that some of this was editorial mandate, and I like some of Geoff Johnsā€™ work, but meh.

Superman/Batman: 3 issues from 2003
Writer: Jeph Loeb
Iā€™m sort of liking it. Itā€™s engaging from moment to moment. I think Jeph Loeb is good in certain contexts (The Long Halloween being an all-time favorite of mine, his Superman run being one of the better ones of the Post-Crisis era thus far, and I even like Hush). Butā€¦

The similarly-phrased-but-contrasting narration is way overextended, and I have no idea how or why Captain Atom wound up working for the government again (especially given that this is concurrent with Formerly Known as the Justice League). Luthorā€™s strategy seems legally highly questionable, Kingdom Come is fine but it should be left alone by main-continuity books, and suggesting that Metallo is Joe Chill is bluh even if itā€™s obviously going to turn out not to be the case. I also sort of preferred Kryptonite being rarer, and suddenly itā€™s all over the place when that completely contradicts prior continuity. And even the Worldā€™s Finest had no business beating some of the villains they took down in #3. Not all at once, and Batman taking Lady Shiva in a straight hand-to-hand fight at all is justā€¦ wrong.

But in any case, this wraps up 2003.

For any fans of b-list, even c-list characters, thereā€™s 2 newish series chock fullmof them. THE INFERIOR 5 has in 2 issues dropped BROTHER POWER THE GEEK and soon to have his own movie trilogy PEACEMAKER, and ties into the 1988 Invasion event of all things. And the FREEDOM FIGHTERS current mini is solid as hel.

1 Like

2004! Events from this year include the abysmal War Games arc from the Batbooks, which Iā€¦ OK, I probably would subject myself to it again if you paid me, but weā€™d have to talk price. Anyway, then thereā€™s Identity Crisis, which Iā€™ve heard a lot about and know the plot, but have not read straight through. That actually bleeds over to 2005, but the Flash and Manhunter are the only books Iā€™m reading that tie in directly (JSA does too, but only in the January ā€™05 issue, so not relevant for this year), so Iā€™m just going to cover those last for this year and first for the next.

Detective Comics: 3 issues from 2004
Writers: Paul Bolles (2 issues), Rick Spears (backup in 1 issue), A.J. Lieberman (backup in 2 issues), Andersen Gabrych (1 issue)
Bollesā€™ arc is pretty good, though I liked the oneshots he did the previous year better. I got an issue into Gabrychā€™s run before I realized I already read the whole thing. Poor guyā€™s entire time on the title was considered set-up or part of War Games. And that ran up to the end of the year, too. I forgot how obnoxiously long it was, but like I said, definitely not rereading it.

2 Likes

Action Comics: 12 issues from 2004
Writers: Joe Kelly (2 issues, co-writer on 2 issues), Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning (1 issue), Michael Turner (co-writer on 2 issues), Chuck Austen (1 issue, backup in 2 issues)
Wrapping up Kellyā€™s run: The cruise issue isā€¦ I donā€™t know, something feels off about it, but I canā€™t put my finger about what. The New Yearā€™s issue is good, though.

The Abnett/Lanning issue is just some orphaned chunk of a crossover we donā€™t otherwise have. Itā€™sā€¦ meh. Stuff that works OK on its own, but that I feel like Iā€™ve seen a million times reading various Superman books.

In the Kelly/Turner issues (more orphaned crossover chunks), LE GASP, ZOMG, Superman is having some kind of hallucinatory alternate life on Krypton!!! Oh my god, what an original concept, itā€™s only been done about seven thousand times since Alan Moore did it in 1985!

Now, Austenā€™s run. Iā€™ve heard really bad things about Chuck Austen, but Iā€™mā€¦ not hating it so far. Itā€™s pretty entertaining from moment to moment, has some clever ideas, and the plot mostly hangs together.

I mean, Iā€™m skeptical of some of the Lana stuff (waiting to see if this is building to an actual point or just using Lana as a mouthpiece to diss Lois, which will substantially affect my opinion of it), Supermanā€™s newfound penchant for joking around in fights is sort of amusing but doesnā€™t quite suit him, sending three teenagers to guard a place he expects Doomsday to attack doesnā€™t make sense, and it leans a little much on action scenes. So, itā€™s far from perfect, but Iā€™m actually fairly OK with it.

Daredevil: 54 issues from 2011-2015
Writer: Mark Waid

Review (LONG review, since I kinda have a lot to say about this)

Iā€™m having a real hard time getting a read on this. I really like the attention paid to showing you how Matt perceives the world. A less depressing take on Daredevil is a good idea. Mark Waid definitely knows how to plot and pace a story, and some of the funny moments had me in stitches. (The entire Spider-Man teamup is gold.) (Also, while the issues themselves donā€™t seem to have titles, the letters page at the end of one issue teases the next as ā€œUnderworld Unleashedā€ and I sincerely hope at least one other person understands why thatā€™s so funny to me.)

Butā€¦ I feel like itā€™sā€¦ sorta lost some flavor? Like, itā€™s shying away from crime drama plots in favor of bad guys like Klaw and Hydra and Mole Man that any Marvel hero might fight from time to time, and it deliberately went out of its way to move him out of the courtroom with this ā€œteaching people to represent themselvesā€ gimmick. *

* As a sidenote, this doesnā€™t make much sense. In the scene that makes him decide to do this, the other attorney is way out of line pounding on Mattā€™s personal history and the judge shouldā€™ve slapped that guy with contempt of court. And teaching people to represent themselves is just never going to be as useful of a service for them as actually representing them.

Honestly, I should go read Waidā€™s Spider-Man, because this Daredevil book really reads like heā€™d rather be writing Spidey anyway.

Actually, no. Hang on. You know what this is? This is the Flash. And, I mean, Waidā€™s Flash is one of my all-time favorite books, so Iā€™m OK with that, but this is totally the Flash.

So, a little bit into the second year, this run that I was already sorta enjoying actually starts to get really good all of a sudden. Existing subplots begin to come together into a real mystery, there are new villains like Coyote that are much better tonal fits for Daredevil, and all kinds of stuff.

And just when Iā€™m actually starting to enjoy itā€¦

The mastermind is Bullseye. And you know what? Screw Bullseye. Bullseye is boring. Bullseye sucks. If you took away everything entertaining about the Joker and amped up all the annoying things bad writers do with him, Bullseye is the dung heap you would have left.

The closing arc of the first series with the Sons of the Serpent is kinda meh. It gets a little fuzzy what theyā€™re even trying to accomplish partway through it. And for all the pontificating that goes into the fact that theyā€™re white supremacists, surprisingly few of their evil schemes are specifically evil in a racist way. At a certain point they seem to forget about their actual (murky) goals in favor of just being mad at Daredevil.

The whole thing seems to be setting up an excuse to move Matt to San Francisco, when that wouldnā€™t really solve the problem he actually has at the end of the 2011 series. Heā€™d probably be just as disbarred over there. And this also comes back to running away from as much thatā€™s distinctively Daredevil-ish about Daredevil as possible. ā€œRed Batmanā€ indeed.

That said, the 2014 series actually opens with the most interesting arc so far. The Shroud makes a good foil to Daredevil and it has more of those crime drama elements I was talking about. And the plot with Foggy is interesting.

But this run is absolutely determined not to let me actually start liking it, because next we get the bizarre Original Sin tie-in arc about Mattā€™s mother. Where do I even begin with this thing? So, first, I assume whateverā€™s going on with Wakanda is part of whatever Black Panther title was running at the time. But after the closing arc of the previous series had this whole anti-racist message, having our white protagonist go into an African jungle and fight spear-wielding black people to rescue his kidnapped mother is, um, wow. Woooooooow. Did you get hit by a truck full of toxic waste and become tone-deaf? And the reason this is happening is because a group of nuns got arrested and expedited to Wakanda forā€¦ spray-painting graffiti on a random military baseā€™s wall?! I- what? And then when we get to the promised backstory expansion, it turns into a full-on PSA about postpartum depression??? Complete with Matt and Maggie blatantly quoting technical definitions and statistics at each other in the middle of whatā€™s supposed to be an emotional conversation.

I just- I donā€™t- That- I- What happened here?! More than bad, itā€™s just so bafflingly unlike Mark Waid to drop the ball so completely in, well, any of these ways. The other problems to this point I could write off as not being the best writer/character match and a couple valid-even-if-I-disagree-with-them creative choices, but this isā€¦ Awful. I just- I want there to be some extenuating circumstance, like a bad co-writer or an editorial mandate or something, but I canā€™t find any reason to think thatā€™s the case.

The Purple Children are fairly interesting, though Iā€™m not sure their powers make a ton of sense. The Purple Man is a creepy, icky character, but, like, thatā€™s the point and heā€™s good at being creepy and icky, so I actually sort of like him, subject to the qualification that Iā€™m terrified of him. I was ready to be annoyed with this arc and itā€™s actually solid.

I also really like the Stunt-Master arc.

The bit with Matt giving up his costume is meh, if nothing else because of how goofy his non-masked look is. The concluding arc was very good, though.

3 Likes
TITLE # of Issues Date
Batman (1940) #5 1 10/1
Batman: Gotham Knights (2020) #1 1 10/2
Detective Comics (1937) #54 1 10/2
Batman (1940) #6 1 10/2
Detective Comics (1937) #55 1 10/2
Detectice Comics (1937) #56 1 10/3
Batman (1940) #7 1 10/3
Superman: Man of Tomorrow (2020) #1 1 10/4
Batman: Gotham Knights (2020) #2 1 10/8
Detective Comics (1937) #57-58 2 10/9
Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace (2020) #1 1 10/9
Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace (2020) #2 1 10/12
Superman: Man of Tomorrow (2020) #2 1 10/12
Aquaman: Deep Dives (2020) #1-2 2 10/12
Harley Quinn Black + White + Red (2020) #1 1 10/12
Aquaman: Deep Dives (2020) #3 1 10/17
Flash: Fastest Man Alive (2020) #1-3 3 10/17
Harley Quinn Black + White + Red (2020) #2 1 10/17
Batman: Gotham Knights (2020) #3 1 10/17
Superman: Man of Tomorrow (2020) #3 1 10/17
DC Super-Stars (1976) #17 1 10/21 JSA Book Club
All-Star Comics (1940) #69-71 3 10/21 JSA Book Club
Batman Family (1975) #17 1 10/27 JSA Book Club
Batman Family (1975) #18-19 2 10/28 JSA Book Club
Total 31

Not many this month. I kinda lost steam with the Golden Age Batman.

2 Likes

Its finally happened, ive fallen into a HELLBOY-sized hole, and I dont wanna climb out. Just some truly awesome, defining work.

3 Likes

October

Whoā€™s Who (1985) 22 - 24 - DC Library

Flash (1959) 185, 186, 188 - 195, 199 (187, 196 reprints) - The Flash Silver Age Omnibus vol. 3

The New Teen Titans (1980) 3 - 6 - The New Teen Titans TPB vol. 1

DCAU Comics - DC Library
Superman Adventures 1 - 32, Annual 1

Digital First seriesā€™ - DC Library
Batman: Gotham Nights 3 - 5
Aquaman: Deep Dives 3 - 5
Superman: Man of Tomorrow 3 -5
Flash: Fastest Man Alive 3 - 5
Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace 3 - 4
Harley Quinn: Black + White + Red 2 - 4

Groo vs. Conan 1 - Sergio Aragones Groo vs. Conan TPB

Month 123 - Year 884

Whoā€™s Who - Down to the last two for the original series. Lots of great updates on the new post-Crisis (single) Universe. Hereā€™ hoping they get the update seriesā€™ on the Library soon. :crossed_fingers:

Finished the last Flash omnibus. Issue 185 sees Flash defend the world against space aliens. Then the Reverse-Flash teams up with Sargon the Sorcerer to destroy Flash in 186. Flash takes a break with a reprint for 187. Next in Flash 188, Flash faces off with Mirror Master in a world gone green? Flash and Kid Flash team up to save Iris from (space aliens) ghosts in Flash 189. Flash then takes a turn for the worse when he breaks a leg and canā€™t run anymore. In the back up story Flash turns over his crutches to the Flash Museum, but heā€™s still not up to snuff yet as he gets captured by a local mafia gang with issue 190. Green Lantern teams up with Flash again in issue 191 to fight . . . space aliens. In 192 Flash fails to save 99 sailors as the sub S.S. Trident is lost at sea and he has to face the consequences of his failure. Lovesick Captain Cold appears in 193 as Flash tries to stop him from kidnapping a retired Hollywood starlet. But its Heat Wave who upsets his plans. In issue 194 Flash (with Irisā€™ permission) marries a ghost from the past in order to save her from eternal demonic torment. Flash rescues a stray dog in 195 who was framed for murder. Flash takes another break (reprint) for issue 196. Barry Allen takes up acting to protect his secret identity in 197. And in the back up story Flash must once again rescue his absent-minded-professor father-in-law who sends him into deep space to rescue . . . space aliens. In 198 Flash loses his mind while trying to help youths at risk (because teenagers will do that to you). But who rescues who? Flash uses the magic of a kiss (is Iris being to lenient with Bary) in the back up story to help Zatanna. Her next appearance since her debut Zatannaā€™s Search crossover event. The Justice League are called upon to entomb their fellow super hero as Iris stands alone to mourn Flashā€™s death in issue 199ā€™s Flash? ā€“ Death Calling! In the back up a G-man comes calling on Barry Allen to enlist the aid of Flash to prevent the Commies from launching a new deadlier nuclear missile at America.

Reading my third series set within the DC Animated Universe; Superman Adventures. This series is a lot of fun; already halfway through it. Superman deals with Lex Luthor, Metallo, Brainiac, Mxyzptlk, Livewire, Kryptonian criminals, Kryptonian viruses, MasterTrax, space aliens, Parasite, Bibboā€™s tall tales, body-guarding the president, citywide power outages, rescuing Batman in Gotham (with Batgirl showing him how do it Bat-style), Kalibak, Lobo, Bizarro, and an evil Lara and Jor El from an alternate universe. While Clark Kent deals with media misinformation, witness protection leaks, being rescued by Superman, and Perry White threatening to fire him. Supergirl subs for her cousin while heā€™s out of town. Lois lane gets trapped, kidnapped, harassed, targeted, . . . and Scooped.

Continuing with Digital First seriesā€™:
Batman: Gotham Nights - Batman takes on Poison Ivy, Joker, and Harley Quinn in the next three installments, and Nightwing makes and appearance, too.
Aquaman: Deep Dives - Tempest, Aqualand, Mera, and the Sea Devils make appearances in issues 3 - 5 with lots of underwater action.
Superman: Man of Tomorrow - Superman has to deal with Toyman taking on Lex Luthor with Metropolis getting the fallout. A muck monster, and Titano take on the Man of Steel, while Luthor pulls the strings in the latest three issues.
Flash: Fastest Man Alive - Atom guest appears when Flash takes on dinosaurs, WWI fighter planes, and medieval knights in the temporal battles to get to the 25th century to face Eobard Thawne the Reverse-Flash.
Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace - Wonder Woman saves the world from an errant meteor but endangers Gorilla City in the process in issue 3 and a plethora of criminals team up to take on Wonder Woman and her super hero compatriots in issue 4.
Harley Quinn: Black + White + Red - Harley takes on Catwoman to prove whoā€™s the top fashionista in Gotham. Then a flashback of tales that donā€™t quite line up to Harleyā€™s perception of reality. Next Harley signs up for a rap battle to prove the best rapper in Gotham; the prize . . . Jokerā€™s rap demo?

Sergio Argones loses his mind and dreams up a tale of Conan the Barbarian facing off with Groo the Wanderer. Groo is threatening to save the town bakery and joins the army of the king determined to destroy the bakery. The villagers travel to a strange place to find a true, great, great, great hero with mighty shoulders and mighty sword to defeat the mindless savage monster.

3 Likes

Hi, guys still reading a lot just lost my discipline in recording them. The pandemic blues has got me down and messed with my disciplines. Here is my books thru.
Supergirl: Vol 2: #27-33
Freedom Fighters: Vol. 1: #1-6
James Bond 007: Vol 1&2: 1-12
Dawn of X: Vol. 7: X-Men, Marauders, New Mutants #7, Excalibur #7-8 and Wolverine #1
Red hood: Outlaw: Vol. 2: #33-36, Annual #1
Superior Spider-Man: Vol. 2: #7-12
Black Panther: Vol. 8: #13-18
Prometheus: Vol. 1: #1-6
Batman: Vol. 6: Graveyard Shift: #0, 18-20, 28, 34 and Annual #2
Blackest Night: Batman, Superman, New Titans all #3
Justice League Dark: Vol. 2: #8-12, Annual #1
Action Comics: New 52: Vol. 2: #0, 9-12 and Annual 1
The Flash (1987) #95-100, 0
Mighty Avengers: Vol 1: #1-5
JLA: Vol. 15 : #95-99 + 100 loose issue
Aquaman: Vol. 2: #48-52